Elia's Essay by Charles Lamb

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
CSCO

Post by CSCO » May 29th, 2017, 2:59 am

Hi, all!

Do you want to read it, don't you?

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » May 29th, 2017, 3:57 am

Well, we have http://librivox.org/the-last-essays-of-elia-by-charles-lamb/ but there are some other unread works in Elia (the first part of this volume.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

CSCO

Post by CSCO » May 29th, 2017, 7:07 am

It isn't good to be alone.

CSCO

Post by CSCO » June 13th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Please complete it!

Please please me!!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » June 13th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Patience - it may be picked up tomorrow or in years to come - I've just had a suggestion picked up after I posted it 9 years ago
Posting a link for people can help , and giving a good reason why you want it also might help when people are flicking through the suggestions.

Anne

CSCO

Post by CSCO » June 13th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Ya, tomorrow, you're always a day away... (´・ω・`)

Foxes have dens, and birds have nests. But we don't have the half...

CSCO

Post by CSCO » June 13th, 2018, 11:19 pm

OXFORD IN THE VACATION

Casting a preparatory glance at the bottom of this article—as the wary connoisseur in prints, with cursory eye (which, while it reads, seems as though it read not,) never fails to consult the quis sculpsit in the corner, before he pronounces some rare piece to be a Vivares, or a Woollet—methinks I hear you exclaim, Reader, Who is Elia?

Because in my last I tried to divert thee with some half-forgotten humours of some old clerks defunct, in an old house of business, long since gone to decay, doubtless you have already set me down in your mind as one of the self-same college—a votary of the desk—a notched and cropt scrivener—one that sucks his sustenance, as certain sick people are said to do, through a quill.

Well, I do agnize something of the sort. I confess that it is my humour, my fancy—in the forepart of the day, when the mind of your man of letters requires some relaxation—(and none better than such as at first sight seems most abhorrent from his beloved studies)—to while away some good hours of my time in the contemplation of indigos, cottons, raw silks, piece-goods, flowered or otherwise. In the first place ******* and then it sends you home with such increased appetite to your books ***** not to say, that your outside sheets, and waste wrappers of foolscap, do receive into them, most kindly and naturally, the impression of sonnets, epigrams, essays—so that the very parings of a counting-house are, in some sort, the settings up of an author. The enfranchised quill, that has plodded all the morning among the cart-rucks of figures and cyphers, frisks and curvets so at its ease over the flowery carpet-ground of a midnight dissertation.—It feels its promotion. ***** So that you see, upon the whole, the literary dignity of Elia is very little, if at all, compromised in the condescension. (omitted)

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/10343/pg10343-images.html

CSCO

Post by CSCO » June 13th, 2018, 11:25 pm

A CHAPTER ON EARS

I have no ear.—

Mistake me not, reader,—nor imagine that I am by nature destitute of those exterior twin appendages, hanging ornaments, and (architecturally speaking) handsome volutes to the human capital. Better my mother had never borne me.—I am, I think, rather delicately than copiously provided with those conduits; and I feel no disposition to envy the mule for his plenty, or the mole for her exactness, in those ingenious labyrinthine inlets—those indispensable side-intelligencers.

Neither have I incurred, or done any thing to incur, with Defoe, that hideous disfigurement, which constrained him to draw upon assurance—to feel "quite unabashed," and at ease upon that article. I was never, I thank my stars, in the pillory; nor, if I read them aright, is it within the compass of my destiny, that I ever should be.

When therefore I say that I have no ear, you will understand me to mean—for music.—To say that this heart never melted at the concourse of sweet sounds, would be a foul self-libel.—"Water parted from the sea" never fails to move it strangely. So does "In Infancy." But they were used to be sung at her harpsichord (the old-fashioned instrument in vogue in those days) by a gentlewoman—the gentlest, sure, that ever merited the appellation—the sweetest—why should I hesitate to name Mrs. S——, once the blooming Fanny Weatheral of the Temple—who had power to thrill the soul of Elia, small imp as he was, even in his long coats; and to make him glow, tremble, and blush with a passion, that not faintly indicated the day-spring of that absorbing sentiment, which was afterwards destined to overwhelm and subdue his nature quite, for Alice W——n. (omitted)

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/10343/pg10343-images.html

CSCO

Post by CSCO » June 13th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Dated and evergreen!! (`・ω・´)

adonis

Post by adonis » June 13th, 2018, 11:59 pm

I like your enthusiasm. I read the Last Essays for Librivox - in fact, go listen. And he has been likened to my favourite writer, Avram Davidson, whose Adventures in Unhistory are essays on fantastical subjects. However, I'm too damn tired to do anything, probably for the rest of this year at least. So good luck with torching others with the flame.

Sincerely,
Tony Addison.

Ps. My Last Essays on Youtube is far more popular than it is on Librivox. This is the one thing about Youtube I cannot understand.

CSCO

Post by CSCO » June 14th, 2018, 1:04 am

Thank you very much!

In short, your effort already made produced a great present to us. You gave us your time. That's your love. So I present you my Tony Award privately. Take it easy! Your successor will come soon. (Ninjya can bring him.)

CSCO

Post by CSCO » June 14th, 2018, 1:17 am

In short, Youtube is far more popular than LibriVox. That's all.

CSCO

Post by CSCO » June 14th, 2018, 1:44 am

What a distance between Charles' hard-knock life and his lovely essays! It's a cure of people who are with heavy loads in that large caterpillars are for large butterflies.

And I will wait for the one.