[Complete] Critique of Dogmatic Theology by Leo Tolstoy - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thank you very much!
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

No problem! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

My dear friends, I pride myself on my persistence. I am not a quitter. But I am going to humbly ask you to place this project back in the abandoned pile. It's not going to be something I enjoy, and I think it's actually beyond me. I'm sad to admit it. :-(
Thanks for giving me a shot at this.
Sincerely,
Jan Moorehouse
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

There is no shame in giving something a try, and recognizing that that something is not for you. I will put this one away, for someone else to adopt. Thank you for trying!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Let's see if this gets more luck as a group project.
Relaunched 3/26/2020
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hello,

I would be interested in taking up this project one section at a time.

Best wishes,
Lori
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lorry wrote: March 27th, 2020, 1:30 pm Hello,

I would be interested in taking up this project one section at a time.

Best wishes,
Lori
That would be great. I have opened it as a group project, although I anticipate it will not draw large numbers of readers. I will assign you the next section :thumbs:
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hi Lynnet,

I have a question but I don't see the answer anywhere yet.

As I'm reading the text, I see some page numbers in parenthesis, but have not seen what they refer to. Are these page numbers in parenthesis to be read, and should they say what they refer to?

Thanks,
Lori
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lorry wrote: March 28th, 2020, 7:14 am Hi Lynnet,

I have a question but I don't see the answer anywhere yet.

As I'm reading the text, I see some page numbers in parenthesis, but have not seen what they refer to. Are these page numbers in parenthesis to be read, and should they say what they refer to?

Thanks,
Lori
Thanks for asking. I don’t think they will add to “listening pleasure” and will probably confuse everyone, so I’d skip them 😎 Any footnotes you come across can be omitted, or included if you see fit, by saying “footnote... end footnote” — and it’s best to put them at the end of the sentence.
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Thanks Lynnet.

So, one of the things that listeners may find confusing is that Tolstoy is quoting a lot from the Doctrine, which he is critiquing, without actually saying that in every case. So, for these, I am saying "quote" and "unquote" whenever he does this, but it will be up to the listener to grasp what he is doing, because there are not footnotes. The page numbers apparently refer to pages in the Doctrine, but I agree that they will not enhance the reading, so I will leave them out. Therefore, I will use "quote" and "unquote" as written whenever it is not Tolstoy's own voice. That way, when he goes on to contradict what was just quoted, it won't sound like he's contradicting himself.

That is my plan. These sections are rather long. I will probably shorten them to suit my schedule, then glue them back together for submitting. At the rate I'm going, I expect to be able to read 2 - 4 pages per day, and will not be taking on any more projects while I'm doing this one.

All my best,
Lori
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lorry wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:59 am Thanks Lynnet.

So, one of the things that listeners may find confusing is that Tolstoy is quoting a lot from the Doctrine, which he is critiquing, without actually saying that in every case. So, for these, I am saying "quote" and "unquote" whenever he does this, but it will be up to the listener to grasp what he is doing, because there are not footnotes. The page numbers apparently refer to pages in the Doctrine, but I agree that they will not enhance the reading, so I will leave them out. Therefore, I will use "quote" and "unquote" as written whenever it is not Tolstoy's own voice. That way, when he goes on to contradict what was just quoted, it won't sound like he's contradicting himself.

That is my plan. These sections are rather long. I will probably shorten them to suit my schedule, then glue them back together for submitting. At the rate I'm going, I expect to be able to read 2 - 4 pages per day, and will not be taking on any more projects while I'm doing this one.

All my best,
Lori
Hmmm. The reading plan sounds good.

As for the length... At this point, we can change that. It gets more difficult if someone claims, say, section 16; but I can add sections,so you can make current section 5 sections 5-9 for example. I’m not sure how the original soloist planned things. When I was deciding on sections, I looked for where a paragraph ended at the bottom of the page for simplicity’s sake but it doesn’t have to be that way. Just let me know, so I can add sections before any other reader claims.
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hi Lynnet,

I'm fine with it as it is, if you are. It seems that every two pages is about 5 minutes recording time. I've just finished my first division of this section coming it at 6:45 minutes for 2.5 pages, and am stopping there. I'll pick up from there later tonight when the road out front is a little quieter. At this rate, this whole section should be a recording of about 40 minutes, and now that I have my plan, I may get the whole section completed tonight. At that point you can decide if you'd rather shorten the sections. Let me know if you'd like me to post the 6:45 for you to hear, but it does not yet have the [end of section] part recorded.

Thanks,
Lori
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lorry wrote: March 28th, 2020, 9:51 am Hi Lynnet,

I'm fine with it as it is, if you are. It seems that every two pages is about 5 minutes recording time. I've just finished my first division of this section coming it at 6:45 minutes for 2.5 pages, and am stopping there. I'll pick up from there later tonight when the road out front is a little quieter. At this rate, this whole section should be a recording of about 40 minutes, and now that I have my plan, I may get the whole section completed tonight. At that point you can decide if you'd rather shorten the sections. Let me know if you'd like me to post the 6:45 for you to hear, but it does not yet have the [end of section] part recorded.

Thanks,
Lori
n
If you're happy with it as one section, 40 minutes sounds reasonable to me.
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hi Lynnet,

Whew! That was a workout. Here is section #5.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/dogmatictheology_05_tolstoy_128kb.mp3
It is 47:32.15 minutes in length, and 89.8 dB

Best wishes,
Lori
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lorry wrote: March 28th, 2020, 9:39 pm Hi Lynnet,

Whew! That was a workout. Here is section #5.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/dogmatictheology_05_tolstoy_128kb.mp3
It is 47:32.15 minutes in length, and 89.8 dB

Best wishes,
Lori
Well done! I’ll try and PL today.