[Group] The Mentor 2 - lt

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
Post Reply
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13915
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 18th, 2018, 8:39 am

mparker wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 6:05 am
Hi Lynne, could I please read section 2, Rembrandt?

Thanks, Myra
Thank you for claiming
Help us finish:

The Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island 9 sections remaining

Legends and Myths of Hawaii 12 sections remaining

realisticspeakers
Posts: 640
Joined: December 6th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Post by realisticspeakers » May 21st, 2018, 4:52 pm


Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13915
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 21st, 2018, 5:10 pm

Help us finish:

The Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island 9 sections remaining

Legends and Myths of Hawaii 12 sections remaining

Agentmercury
Posts: 36
Joined: December 2nd, 2016, 11:57 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Post by Agentmercury » May 23rd, 2018, 5:18 am

I'm a Brit but speak dutch as a second language; I'd be keen to do chapter 8 (Holland).

I would just like to clarify the pronunciation rules though: are all the proper nouns and place names are to be pronounced as in the native language?
So for example "Utrecht" without MC/PL guidance I would pronounce as "OO - t r eh kh t " but the American received pronunciation is more like "Yu - tre kk t". Do you want closer to native or closer to US received?

Thanks,

Debs

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13915
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 23rd, 2018, 8:58 am

Agentmercury wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 5:18 am
I'm a Brit but speak dutch as a second language; I'd be keen to do chapter 8 (Holland).

I would just like to clarify the pronunciation rules though: are all the proper nouns and place names are to be pronounced as in the native language?
So for example "Utrecht" without MC/PL guidance I would pronounce as "OO - t r eh kh t " but the American received pronunciation is more like "Yu - tre kk t". Do you want closer to native or closer to US received?

Thanks,

Debs
Thank you for claiming.
As for pronunciation, we don't usually comment so long as it is understandable. As you have some knowledge of Dutch, you could definitely make use of that. If you come across words you are unfamiliar with, we just ask you 'do your best'... although, to be honest, I personally feel we should make every effort to find correct pronunciation for proper nouns but that isn't the policy.
Help us finish:

The Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island 9 sections remaining

Legends and Myths of Hawaii 12 sections remaining

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13915
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 24th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Section 6 Uncle Sam PL OK
Help us finish:

The Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island 9 sections remaining

Legends and Myths of Hawaii 12 sections remaining

Pixxol
Posts: 55
Joined: January 7th, 2018, 10:44 am
Contact:

Post by Pixxol » May 24th, 2018, 5:32 pm

I'd like to record Section 14 -- Big Game Animals of America

:D
Siobhan

Pixxol
Posts: 55
Joined: January 7th, 2018, 10:44 am
Contact:

Post by Pixxol » May 25th, 2018, 3:09 am

I actually have the recording ready, so I can upload it right away if you approve :)
Siobhan

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13915
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 25th, 2018, 8:27 am

Pixxol wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 3:09 am
I actually have the recording ready, so I can upload it right away if you approve :)
Go ahead... but it's always risky to record before your claim is confirmed (especially on long sections like these). We generally advise against it.
Help us finish:

The Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island 9 sections remaining

Legends and Myths of Hawaii 12 sections remaining

Pixxol
Posts: 55
Joined: January 7th, 2018, 10:44 am
Contact:

Post by Pixxol » May 25th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Lynnet wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 8:27 am
Pixxol wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 3:09 am
I actually have the recording ready, so I can upload it right away if you approve :)
Go ahead... but it's always risky to record before your claim is confirmed (especially on long sections like these). We generally advise against it.
Apologies, Lynnet--I didn't mean any offense by "jumping the gun". :oops:

This is my first week since February that I've had time to volunteer and I've just been so excited to record! :D Next week I'm back in school, so my free time is going to be pretty much non-existent again, lol!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mentor2_14_various_128kb.mp3 47m 53s
Also, as a note to PL: on page 6 " CARIBOU In its summer coat, with its antlers 'in the velvet'" is a sentence fragment inserted in the middle of a section about rocky mountain goats. I can add it back in, but I think it was a typo.
Siobhan

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13915
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 25th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Pixxol wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 12:33 pm
Lynnet wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 8:27 am
Pixxol wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 3:09 am
I actually have the recording ready, so I can upload it right away if you approve :)
Go ahead... but it's always risky to record before your claim is confirmed (especially on long sections like these). We generally advise against it.
Apologies, Lynnet--I didn't mean any offense by "jumping the gun". :oops:

This is my first week since February that I've had time to volunteer and I've just been so excited to record! :D Next week I'm back in school, so my free time is going to be pretty much non-existent again, lol!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mentor2_14_various_128kb.mp3 47m 53s
Also, as a note to PL: on page 6 " CARIBOU In its summer coat, with its antlers 'in the velvet'" is a sentence fragment inserted in the middle of a section about rocky mountain goats. I can add it back in, but I think it was a typo.
Thank you.
It's not a problem... from my point of view. But just think how frustrated you'd be if you did a 47 minute recording (which took 2 hours + I imagine) and I had assigned it to someone else in the meantime. I'll PL as soon as I can... I'm supposed to be working, so we'll see how bored I get :wink:
Help us finish:

The Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island 9 sections remaining

Legends and Myths of Hawaii 12 sections remaining

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13915
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 26th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Game Animals of America PL OK.
Help us finish:

The Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island 9 sections remaining

Legends and Myths of Hawaii 12 sections remaining

ColleenMc
Posts: 304
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » May 26th, 2018, 4:56 pm


Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13915
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 26th, 2018, 6:02 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
May 26th, 2018, 4:56 pm
Chapter 20 is up:


https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mentor2_20_various_128kb.mp3

52:09
Thank you
Help us finish:

The Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island 9 sections remaining

Legends and Myths of Hawaii 12 sections remaining

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13915
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 29th, 2018, 3:48 am

PL notes:

20: Benjamin Franklin PL OK
There was a constant background noise (it sounded like a lawn mower)… no need to fret, but be aware of it in future and try to eliminate it.
Help us finish:

The Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island 9 sections remaining

Legends and Myths of Hawaii 12 sections remaining

Post Reply