Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

msfry wrote: February 21st, 2024, 10:00 am First, are our images stored on IA, not on Librivox?
EVERYTHING related to LibriVox: our forums, the catalog, the database in the background, the website... is stored on archive's servers.
Second, what is the "ocean full of sharks" comment?
I'm pretty sure I know what Anne means, but it's not on me to answer this question.
Third, is IA complaining about a lack of storage space? Have we approached them about how much storage LV can use? Are we limiting ourselves needlessly?
I understand that you are donating to archive. Thank you.
However, no matter the tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars you are personally contributing, LibriVox is still a GUEST on archive's servers. The archive team has done many things over the years to accommodate the needs we have. I would consider it extremely rude to push for things that are not absolutely necessary to the proper functioning of LibriVox.
Fourth, why can't we store the 600 x 600 images on LV servers [snip]
See my answer to "First" above.
Fifth, is Anne's the only voice allowed to weigh in here? From her comments above, it seems so.
I am pretty sure I know what you're insinuating here, and I find your comment rude.
We have discussed this and all of us admins are pretty much on the same page with this, there is no need to hear from different mouths what you are not willing to accept from a single one.

I understand that you enjoy making the covers for our projects as do many others, and I agree that it's nice to have "window dressing" so to speak to make our pages more appealing to the casual scroller-by.

However, pushing for something that looks good on somebody's personal youtube channel is nothing more than dressing SOMEBODY ELSE'S WINDOWS. There are hundreds, if not thousands of windows out there that display LibriVox content (and that's great), however, I don't see how making THEM look pretty should be any of our concern.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm trying to make a cover for Early Short Fiction of Edith Wharton, but my graphics program keeps crashing. :evil: If someone is willing to take it up, feel free!

I was going to use this image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kYMuNYlQQZHqfaljvhpK7RRcnfDXrq_F/view?usp=drive_link
It's the same one as here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Edith_Wharton_by_Edward_Harrison_May.jpg except I corrected the light, vertical line on the right side of the original image.

(I've tried a full-on shutdown and restart of my computer, and it didn't solve my problem. Grrr!)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I got it to work. If it gets a stroke doing it one way, try doing it another. :wink:
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Thank you, annise, for the cover of 'Der Kaiser von Utopia'. :thumbs:
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: March 8th, 2024, 6:42 am I got it to work. If it gets a stroke doing it one way, try doing it another. :wink:
A technician told me once to unplug my ill-behaving laptop and remove the battery for a full minute, then restart. Apparently it takes that long for a computer brain to completely clear its cache and "forget". :shock:
It worked!
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Hello! I would like to make a cover for the recording I just finished. How do I submit it? :?:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

TriciaG wrote: March 8th, 2024, 6:42 am I got it to work. If it gets a stroke doing it one way, try doing it another. :wink:
You go girl 8-)
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've put your claim in the claims board.

Instructions are in the first post of the CD Covers Working Thread: viewtopic.php?t=28785
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

TriciaG wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 6:31 pm I've put your claim in the claims board.

Instructions are in the first post of the CD Covers Working Thread: viewtopic.php?t=28785
Thank you Tricia 😄
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

From the working thread:
ShellyW wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:18 am PS - apparently I have missed some instructions somewhere. I don't see any templates for images, only text. When I claim a cover do I have to do the text part as well as the image :?:
We need the PDF also, which includes the image and some text, yes. So you'd make the image, then upload 4 files: 3 image files (2 at 300x300, one at 150x150) and 1 PDF.

While most people don't print out the CD case cover PDF, it contains info that we need, such as the source(s) of any images used.
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

TriciaG wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:32 am From the working thread:
ShellyW wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:18 am PS - apparently I have missed some instructions somewhere. I don't see any templates for images, only text. When I claim a cover do I have to do the text part as well as the image :?:
We need the PDF also, which includes the image and some text, yes. So you'd make the image, then upload 4 files: 3 image files (2 at 300x300, one at 150x150) and 1 PDF.

While most people don't print out the CD case cover PDF, it contains info that we need, such as the source(s) of any images used.
OK I found an image from the NY Public Library and modified it - added to the top to make it square, and changed the facial expression. What is the source in that case?
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Also, I am having a problem downloading the logo - in my software (paintshop pro) it appears solid black :hmm:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's on this page in several formats: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=CD_Covers#Use_the_logo

I'm not sure which format is best for that software.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It looks good - the only problem with the pdf is we need to know the image source on the PDF - the cover picture part of the pdf needs to be your source - in most cases we design the cover using someone else's image and so we need to know who made the original or what book or painting it was - images can still have a copyright.

Anne
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

OK so I clicked on the image on the NYPL site and found an Artist (Schmidhammer, Arpád, 1857-1921). I will add that to the template and reupload...

Hmm, Im having trouble uploading it. I will try again tomorrow.
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com