[Complete] The Princess Zoubaroff by Ronald Firbank - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Chuck. I didn't read the whole play, but my impression is that Adrian's a sort of straight man / part of the context for the more entertaining women in the party. I'm surprised that the play hasn't been revived on stage; it does sound fun.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Peter Why wrote:Thanks, Chuck. I didn't read the whole play, but my impression is that Adrian's a sort of straight man / part of the context for the more entertaining women in the party.
your characterizing of Adrian is really great. I liked the way he sounded so no-nonsense and matter-of-fact all the time. I think it will give a great counterpoint to some of his dialogue with other more exuberant characters. :thumbs: Great choice.

Act 1 is PL ok

in Act 3, I found a missing line:

> at about 0:25: (p. 105): Adrian (indifferent): “As you please !”

Thanks

Sonia
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Sonia.

Act 3 corrected and re-uploaded - now 4.23 minutes long.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Peter Why wrote:Thanks, Sonia.

Peter
thanks that was fast ! PL ok now :)

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Peter Why wrote:Thanks, Chuck. I didn't read the whole play, but my impression is that Adrian's a sort of straight man / part of the context for the more entertaining women in the party. I'm surprised that the play hasn't been revived on stage; it does sound fun.

Peter
Haha! Yes, Adrian and Eric are the straight men... both figuratively and literally! I'm actually quite fond of how droll and to-the-point you are in your recordings. I had actually intended to read Eric as somewhat sarcastic, but might change things up now that I've listened to this. :-)

(Of course, I might have to give up the role soon, if nobody volunteers to read the stage directions. No biggie, of course. I'm far more interested in coordinating and completing this project than I am hogging one of its central characters).
Kitty wrote:
Peter Why wrote:Thanks, Sonia.

Peter
thanks that was fast ! PL ok now :)

Sonia
Thanks Sonia! :-)
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
nickbulka

Post by nickbulka »

-nick
-------------------------------
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Woohoo! Thanks Nick! I hope you had fun channeling the spirit of Oscar Wilde. :-) Great recordings, by the way. I can't wait to here all of these line in context.

(I'm also glad I'm not the only one rocking an American accent in this play.)

And this play is coming together nicely! Still thinking about dropping Eric and taking on the narration myself, especially since all the other male roles were taken up so quickly. But I'm only going to do that if someone else wants to take that role for me.

Dollars to donuts the last role filled in this play is Angelo. Nobody wants to speak that much Italian, especially since most of it is just random exclamations. ;-)
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lord Orkish perfectly read, nothing missing, no errors. PL ok.

I loved the little extras you gave here and there, chuckling, sighing, and even humming. I think it's always great to "act" these stage directions out, instead of letting the narrator interrupt the flow of the play too often. :9: Well done !

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Chuck and Sonia

I have just started using a new PC for Librivox, so I have recorded the first few lines of Monsignor Vanhove as a sort of test file for my new system.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_vanhove_2.flac

I would appreciate it if someone could check this file for tech specs, volume, etc. If it is OK I will record the rest of the lines.

Can you accept a flac file? I am having a bit of trouble making MP3 files but could do one if nessecary.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote:Hi Chuck and Sonia

I have just started using a new PC for Librivox, so I have recorded the first few lines of Monsignor Vanhove as a sort of test file for my new system.

I would appreciate it if someone could check this file for tech specs, volume, etc. If it is OK I will record the rest of the lines.

Can you accept a flac file? I am having a bit of trouble making MP3 files but could do one if nessecary.
Hi Alan

I just checked your file. The problem with flac is that Checker does nor recognize it. But I opened your file in audacity and converted it to mp3 myself to check. The tech specs are ok, it only gives me background noise, which one round of further noisecleaning probably could get rid of.

The Monsignore sounds exactly like I would think a "well-living" churchman would sounds :mrgreen: So far all is well, but you stopped at page 78, is that correct ? There are still 18 sentence-blocks for the Monsignor after that page. So this was only a test run I guess.

Congrats to the new setup, it's got a good sound :)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Sonia

Thanks for the amazingly quick reply.

I think that because I had so much problem getting enough volume on the microphone with my old system I may have overcompensated and set the mic volume too high on the new one. I will experiment with rerecording these lines with the mic turned down a bit and that will hopefully get rid of most of the background noise.

I will try to sort the MP3 problem, but would be interested to know if Chuck can edit from a flac file. I seem to remember that he could do that on previous projects we have done together.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote:I think that because I had so much problem getting enough volume on the microphone with my old system I may have overcompensated and set the mic volume too high on the new one. I will experiment with rerecording these lines with the mic turned down a bit and that will hopefully get rid of most of the background noise.
Checker gave me a volume of 90.6 dB, so you are only slightly over the golden mean. Better not tune it down too much or you will not have enough.

Sonia
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

alanmapstone wrote:Hi Chuck and Sonia

Alan,

I think Chuck is using Audacity, if so he should be able to import the .flac file. What system and set up are you using? Maybe we can help with the .mp3 file issue.

David O
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Sorry -- I've been out and about with my daughter all day. Just caught this whole conversation.
alanmapstone wrote:Hi Sonia

Thanks for the amazingly quick reply.

I think that because I had so much problem getting enough volume on the microphone with my old system I may have overcompensated and set the mic volume too high on the new one. I will experiment with rerecording these lines with the mic turned down a bit and that will hopefully get rid of most of the background noise.

I will try to sort the MP3 problem, but would be interested to know if Chuck can edit from a flac file. I seem to remember that he could do that on previous projects we have done together.
You remember correctly! I used to ask volunteers to use .flac files almost exclusively for dramatic projects... back when I was juggle between two or three dramatic projects at a time and not just the one. :-P

For now, if you want to upload the .flac files, that would definitely be doable on my end. Thanks again!

(And now I've gotta go listen to your recordings. :thumbs:)
PROJECTS