[Complete] The Princess Zoubaroff by Ronald Firbank - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Vivian !!! Nice edits, this microphone is really paying off :thumbs:

Act 2 is now PL ok

...but in Act 3, it's really rather "honourable" than "honorary". I don't think the title is ever used for honorary, not to my knowledge. Would you mind re-reading the sentence one more time, please ? (sorry for being picky :oops: )

Sonia
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Vivian,
I've found the book on accents that I was looking for: How to do Accents; Edda Sharpe, Jan Haydn Rowles; pub Oberon books. It was produced in Britain, so the examples do tend to mainly consider British accents, but the advice on analysis of accents and how to say them seems to be more universal. It's definitely worth trying to get the book through your library to see if you want to buy it. To quote a fragment from the start of one chapter:
IN THIS CHAPTER ... you will learn all about rhoticity (and, no, that isn't a way of cooking a chicken). When it comes to accents, the world divides into two planets:

Rhotic - people who always say an R whenever it is written - ORDER MOTHER CART HERE.
Non-rhotic - people who only say an R if there is a vowel sound spoken after it - HARRY HERO BRING SACRED RIGHT
The authors have a sense of humour. The book is well illustrated with sectional diagrams of the vocal area to help pronunciation.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Remember when I said that Acts II and III would be significantly shorter?

Yeah... I might have been overstating things a bit.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_2_firbank_128kb.mp3 [45:25]

But at least it's finished. :-)
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay !! Act 2 sounds great and is PL ok. If I had to say something, I think that Ava's lines are still a bit too soft, compared to the rest. I remember, I noted down she needed to be amplified a bit. It's probably ok for this Act, but maybe you could do that before you start on Act 3 with her lines ?

Looking forward to the finale :)

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

And here's Act III:

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_3_firbank_128kb.mp3 [32:57]

You know, I honestly don't know how Firbank got away with all this. The innuendo is barely innuendo at certain points; the subtext skirts the edge of turning into plain old text at every moment. I mean... come on.

I also like how Orkish, Adrian, and Eric end up in weird remake of Three Men and a Baby at the end.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

excellent :clap: this is PL ok now and that means the play can be archived :9: I see you let the "Honorary" pass, Chuck. Well, it probably doesn't matter in the end.
I also like how Orkish, Adrian, and Eric end up in weird remake of Three Men and a Baby at the end.
LOL yes it reminded me of that as well :lol:

A great addition to the LV Drama Section 8-)

Sonia
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Thank you to EVERYONE (Sonia, Leanne, Tomas, Peter, Nick Bulka, Kay, Kalynda, Sandra, Ava, Beth, Thomas, Alan, Nemo, Eva, Vivian, Todd, and Chuck ) !!

This final volume is in the Librivox Catalog: https://librivox.org/the-princess-zoubaroff-by-ronald-firbank/

David O
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Wow! So much happened while I was asleep! :-)
Kitty wrote:
excellent :clap: this is PL ok now and that means the play can be archived :9: I see you let the "Honorary" pass, Chuck. Well, it probably doesn't matter in the end.
Actually, I started editing both Acts II and III before waiting for the final PL... and then noticed your notes after I uploaded Act III! Whoops! Sorry! But I agree... it's not too noticeable and flies by pretty quickly.

Thanks again for the superlative PL work. Always a pleasure to work with you, Sonia! :thumbs:

And thanks for MC-ing, David. :mrgreen:

And thank you EVERYONE for helping out! All of you really brought your A-game to this project. I'm thrilled to finally get this into the catalogue.

I'll probably launch another dramatic project in a week or so. I want to clear up some of my backlog before starting another play, so... yeah. Be on the lookout.
PROJECTS