Weekly/Fortnightly Poetry Suggestions

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
atole

Post by atole »

aradlaw wrote: September 28th, 2023, 8:35 pm
atole wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 9:26 am I think "Night-Gaunts" by Lovecraft (published 1939) would be a fun read.
It is out of copyright, since its copyright was never renewed [source] (though no Gutenberg source)
Sorry, atole and Michele, I've double-checked and we cannot use this poem.
If it isn't on PG and not on HathiTrust (viewable in US), we can't do it as per our text policy: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies#Our_policy_on_text_sources:
Reading this policy, it does say that 'Wikisource is not acceptable... because they restrict use of the texts with a CC license'.
What if we read from the cited archive.org scan ? Page 3 clearly shows it's the December 1939 issue, volume 34 and we know it's in the public domain...
Would this not fall under 'Texts from other sites that state clearly which edition the text came from, and that do not restrict the use of their text with a CC or other license'?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

atole wrote: October 9th, 2023, 8:45 am Reading this policy, it does say that 'Wikisource is not acceptable... because they restrict use of the texts with a CC license'.
What if we read from the cited archive.org scan ? Page 3 clearly shows it's the December 1939 issue, volume 34 and we know it's in the public domain...
Would this not fall under 'Texts from other sites that state clearly which edition the text came from, and that do not restrict the use of their text with a CC or other license'?
How do we know this issue is PD?

Since it was published less than 95 years ago, its copyright status is murky. In this case, we'd need it to be copyright-cleared through Project Gutenberg or HathiTrust.

As per our text policy stated above, if it's less than 95 years old, we need either PG or HT as the source.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lortizsouza

Post by lortizsouza »

How about "Ode to the West Wind" by Percy Bysshe Shelley? It's this epic poem that really brings nature to life, and it's totally free to use.
msfry

Post by msfry »

lortizsouza wrote: December 7th, 2023, 4:57 am How about "Ode to the West Wind" by Percy Bysshe Shelley? It's this epic poem that really brings nature to life, and it's totally free to use.
That poem has been recorded for Librivox 5 times already (just go to the home page and search anything by title to find out if we have it). But it would make a good poetry fortnightly, unless 5 minutes is too long, where more than one person could submit it.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here's the search result, showing the projects which include Ode to the West Wind: https://librivox.org/search?q=ode%20to%20the%20west%20wind&search_form=advanced
kaci

Post by kaci »

I would like to suggest Porphyria's Lover by Robert Browning. https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46313/porphyrias-lover
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

kaci wrote: April 4th, 2024, 6:04 pm I would like to suggest Porphyria's Lover by Robert Browning. https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46313/porphyrias-lover
Nice poem, could be suitable for a Fortnightly poem but a bit long for a weekly.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
IonaMuirgel2002

Post by IonaMuirgel2002 »

How about the poem 'Johnnie (or Johnny) Armstrong'? I think the writer was anonymous.
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

IonaMuirgel2002 wrote: Yesterday, 11:49 am How about the poem 'Johnnie (or Johnny) Armstrong'? I think the writer was anonymous.
Do you have a link to it?

EDIT: I found it, here: https://archive.org/details/illustratedbriti00georrich/page/330/mode/2up
IonaMuirgel2002

I was thinking this version:
https://allpoetry.com/Johnny-Armstrong
The only thing is, it says 'Ionne' instead of 'Johnny', but it is said the same way. (I think)
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, we'd need to find a clearly PD version of that. (Just because it's freely available on some website doesn't mean it's PD. It may have been altered from its original form, etc.)

I found that version in this work: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62474
Actually, there are 3 versions of the ballad in that source. 8-)
IonaMuirgel2002

How would I go about doing that?
-Phyllis Diller

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

IonaMuirgel2002 wrote: Yesterday, 2:42 pm How would I go about doing that?
I just did. :) The Gutenberg text is clearly PD, so that could be used as the weekly or fortnightly poem. 8-)
IonaMuirgel2002

Oh yay! Thanks! If that poem is used, I would love to read it! :D
-Phyllis Diller

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

In the meantime (or in case it's not used as a weekly/fortnightly), you could always submit it in the short poetry collection! The current one will be wrapping up next week.