Bonjour from San Francisco

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Eli27

Post by Eli27 »

Hi, I'm Eli!

Nice to meet you all and thank you for including me in this wonderful community :)

I'm a French-American bilingual who loves audiobooks, reading and acting. Can't wait to start working on some projects and see where this might lead.

While I'm waiting for destiny to unfold (lol) I will upload my 1 minute test in French and English to make sure I'm good to go.
Have some of you noticed that your voice sounds totally different when you speak different languages ? I had never fully realized it before doing this test.

Anyway, looking forward to your feedback and to contributing :thumbs:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Hello, Eli,

It can be a very involving hobby; I've been at it for over ten years. Once you have your sound editing software set up correctly, the world's the mollusc of your choice.

You can get help whenever you need it; you can nearly always find someone who's got some idea of how to solve any problem you might have.

I hope you have a lovely time here.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Eli27

Post by Eli27 »

Hi Peter!

Thanks so much for your warm welcome.

10 years experience is quite impressive. I would love to listen to some of your work :)
Which book did you enjoy reading the most?

Best,

Eli
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Hello, Eli,

Recently, I've been mainly reading long non-fiction books, with a few restful pieces in the dramatic readings section, so they're less likely to be fun to listen to.

One of the earliest recordings I did (so the sound quality's not as good as it is now) was a short poem called Lament of the Irish Emigrant, which was in the first poetry collection we did. It's section 17 in the collection: https://librivox.org/short-poetry-collection-001/ I had a lot of trouble reading it, because it made me cry so much .. you can hear my voice breaking in the recording.

The pieces that I've actually enjoyed doing have generally been gently humorous or romantic (though I have spent quite a bit of time with horror stories):

So ... I enjoyed reading the last chapter (chapter 19) in Three Men In a Boat (where I managed a few verses of Two Lovely Black Eyes, sung by the three drunk friends): https://librivox.org/three-men-in-a-boat-by-jerome-k-jerome/

... and one rather sad story (but it may be a bit too long), where I made up the tune for a song by the main female character. That was "The Demoiselle D'Ys" in Robert Chambers' "The King in Yellow" .... it's Section 7 in https://librivox.org/king-in-yellow-by-robert-w-chambers/

Go for pieces that you love, to start with. Don't dive straight into a solo reading, as they always take much more work than you expect; save them until you have a feel for the system.

Have a lovely time.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger