What did you/ will you eat for dinner today?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I've been cooking a lot the last week -- and then I realized I can't remember seeing a food thread here. Right now I'm happily cooking from a new favourite food-blog, hence dinner: curry with coconut milk and naan bread. But sometimes I have zero inspiration to make food... And then it can be inspiring to see what other people eat!
Kathrine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here's where I reveal our horrible food habits!

I had impulsively purchased some cheese curds this afternoon and ate them all. :oops: So I just had some corn on the cob. Hubby had barbecued hamburgers and oven fries.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

Pasta with sweet italian sausage, zucchini and artichoke hearts in a browned-roux white wine garlic cream sauce.

Not exactly the diet plate...

:P
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Vegetarian lasagna! I use layers of pumpkin (butternut squash) to make it solid when cut. :9:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I made wheat yeast rolls last weekend, so I had one of those with nutella. Oh, and a glass of moscato.

MaryAnn
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Homemade hamburgers from beef raised by my friend. This meat has never been further than 10km from my front door. Lettuce and onions from the garden. And potato chips. All because my children are here for a 2 day visit.
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Elizabby wrote:Vegetarian lasagna! I use layers of pumpkin (butternut squash) to make it solid when cut. :9:
I don't get this? You use pumpkin instead of the noodles? But don't you have to cut it quite thin then so there's room left for the other veggies? Does it still stay "solid" then as you call it? We only have the small orange Hokkaido pumpkins here, which do crumble easily if you cut them too thin.

I'm obviously not a big cook.... :roll: :lol:

MaryAnn: Nutella and sweet wine always make an excellent combination! :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Tricia,

Curd cheese: I have an excellent recipe for making your own, if you'd like to try (if you're not making your own already).

Years ago, I walked the Coast-to-Coast walk with some friends, and had Yorkshire curd tarts in the waiting room of a steam train line. They were delicious, so I searched for a recipe, and have made them a few times since. But the curd cheese is sometimes difficult to find, so I found a recipe for that, too.

The curd tarts have a shortcrust base, and are filled with a curd cheese and egg mixture, flavoured with lemon zest, and with raisins in the mix .... baked until slightly brown.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"curds"

Tricia, aren't you worried that along will come a spider and sit down beside you?
(This is where you reply, "No whey!")

Son of the Exiles
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Every other week I get a food box delivered by Hello Fresh. It contains 3 recipes and the ingredients needed to make them. It is supposed to be 3 meals for 2 people, which is enough food for 6 days for just me.

So I get to try new dishes that I wouldn't have thought of on my own, without the bother of searching through supermarkets for odd ingredients, or the annoyance of trying to workout what to do with that leftover spice that you're never going to use again.

The food has been delicious, and I have discovered I love all kinds of ingredients I wasn't even willing to try before (part of the reason for getting the boxes was to encourage myself to try new things). Red onions and roast peppers are fantastic! And I've discovered coriander and chorizo (not together, at least usually).

I have even been inspired to spend a week's holiday at a cooking course in Ashburton, which was great fun.

I have made many of my favourite recipes in the 'off' weeks.

The best recipe from last week was Mango Chutney Chicken with Spiced Bulgur Wheat and Roasted Romanesco. Some of my overall favourites have been Moroccan Spiced Salmon with Lemon and Onion Couscous, Singapore Chicken Laksa, Chillibeany Fajitas with Citrus Soured Cream, and Figgy Chorizo and Ricotta Tart.

However tonight I am going out, without the time to do complicated prep, so I am having Jacket Potato with Baked Beans and Cheese.
So little space, so much to say.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

TriciaG wrote:I had impulsively purchased some cheese curds this afternoon and ate them all. :oops: So I just had some corn on the cob. Hubby had barbecued hamburgers and oven fries.
That calls for another multi-km bike ride. :twisted:
You could have turned those oven fries and cheese curds into Poutine you know. (being Canadian now and all) :P

Our son & wife came over last night bearing a Pizza Hut Triple Treat Box :clap:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Peter: I have a recipe for cheese; I just have never gotten to it (or looked for rennet to purchase). :)

David: As a matter of fact, we're doing the Kawartha Lakes Classic Cycling Tour tomorrow! I'm only doing 25 km. I couldn't imagine bumping up to the next level, 50 km, when I can barely do 30! Kevin's signed up for 100 km. He'd be interested in trying the 160k, but is afraid he'd be left behind by all the other cyclists. He can keep up with the 100k folks.

On topic: I'm not sure about today's meal yet. :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Chili bread and an avocado salad. The bread is basically corn bread fortified with homemade vegetarian chili of tomatoes, onions, dark red kidney beans, and seasonings; I'm also adding cheese to the mix. The salad is sliced avocado, tomato, green pepper, and green onions in an olive oil and lime juice dressing.

Anybody else watch Pati Jinich's Mexican Table show? Her dishes are delicious!
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

A neighbor came by with mangoes fresh off the tree.

Best thing ever.
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

TriciaG wrote:David: As a matter of fact, we're doing the Kawartha Lakes Classic Cycling Tour tomorrow! I'm only doing 25 km.
The weather looks good tomorrow, have fun; these days I could probably do the Boston Pizza parking lot. :lol:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!