linny

Post by linny »

playonwords wrote:Hi Linny

Please show me as 'playonwords'

I do not have a web site.

Thanks
Karen
Hi Karen,
I'm back home so now you are all set up. Here is your catalog page: https://librivox.org/reader/11246
playonwords

Post by playonwords »

Hi Linny

So, here is my first contribution.

I am unfortunately unsatisfied with the first chapter, but find the second, quite good. I tended to play around much more with the first, testing the software and audacity . . . I would gladly redo the first chapter if you do not find it acceptable. These chapters are a lot of fun, so it would be no problem.

Chapt. 18>

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/socialstatics_18_spencer_128kb.mp3

Chapt. 19>

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/socialstatics_19_spencer_128kb.mp3

ok, I await your reply . . .

Have a great evening (well, where I am, anyway)

Regards
Karen (playonwords)
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Karen,
Thank you! :thumbs: Please be sure to post the file durations when you post your links. They help the PLer know how long to set aside to listen and they are a quick check to be certain your files weren't cut off during the upload process. I downloaded them both so I have the times, just please remember for the future. Since you indicated you were unhappy with 18 I did a quick spot check and I didn't see hear any quality issue to be concerned with. I did notice that you forgot the ending on both files. You can wait to make the changes until Tom has a chance to give you full PL notes.
END of recording

At the end of the section, say:
"End of Chapter [number] (and if applicable, part [number])"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
Thank you for your contribution and please let me know if you would like to claim any other sections.
playonwords

Post by playonwords »

Hi Linny

ach, I thought there should be something at the end, but I did not find what it was . . . ok, no problem . . . and yeah, I forgot to include the times . . . this I found, will definitely include them in the future (thanks for the reminder).

ok, up for future endeavors . . . I am still very interested in this book, so, if things go ok, I will definitely sign up for another section.

before I decide, though, I would like to get these two chapters accepted. So I will wait for the final outcome.

This is so cool!!

thanks Linny

will be in touch
Karen
TomDavisBeal

Post by TomDavisBeal »

playonwords wrote:before I decide, though, I would like to get these two chapters accepted. So I will wait for the final outcome.
Karen,

I'll listen tonight or tomorrow and send you feedback.

-Tom
playonwords

Post by playonwords »

Thanks Tom! :thumbs:
TomDavisBeal

Post by TomDavisBeal »

Karen,
playonwords wrote:I am unfortunately unsatisfied with the first chapter, but find the second, quite good. I tended to play around much more with the first, testing the software and audacity . . . I would gladly redo the first chapter if you do not find it acceptable. These chapters are a lot of fun, so it would be no problem.
The audio quality is just fine for Chapter 18. I do hear that it improved with Chapter 19, but I'd keep it with the following corrections:

The title is Social Statics, not Social Statistics, so you'll need to correct that in both chapters.

Full intro should be:
Chapter [number] of Social Statics by Herbert Spencer. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain.

(If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]")

Social Statics: or, The Conditions Essential to Human Happiness Specified, and the First of them Developed, by Herbert Spencer. [Chapter]
Also, per linny's comment, you'll need to add "End of Chapter [#]" ad at least 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.

Overall, fairly light edits needed. Good first recordings!

So make the corrections, re-upload, post that you've re-uploaded and I'll spot check.

Yours truly,
-Tom
linny

Post by linny »

Tom,
Thank you for the quick turnaround. It sounds as if Karen will be deleted with the outcome.
playonwords

Post by playonwords »

Hi Tom and Linny

Yes, thank you Tom for the quick turn- around. I hope I won't be 'deleted' though :?: , but I am rather delighted :clap:

I will send the corrections tomorrow. Then I'll have another look at the chapters and submit my choice.

Thanks you guys for keeping this fun

talk soon
Karen
linny

Post by linny »

:oops: sorry. Yes, delighted. :lol:
playonwords

Post by playonwords »

LOL !! 8-)
playonwords

Post by playonwords »

Hi Tom

ok, as promised, here the corrected versions to include the proper intro and endings (wow, I guess I must have been tired) :oops:

Chaper 18 (~25:00):
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/socialstatics_18_spencer_128kb.mp3

Chapter 19 (~25:00):
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/socialstatics_19_spencer_128kb.mp3

I am including this post as if it were the first, so I don't forget in the future.
I assume that when including the time, since it's a safety measure, that 'circa' ist ok.(?) :hmm:

Looking forward to your feedback

Thanks
Karen
linny

Post by linny »

You are in for spot check. Thank you for the quick turnaround.

We prefer the actual time.
playonwords

Post by playonwords »

Hi Linny

Ok, will include the actual time in the future.

By the way, I would like to take on the following chapter:

Part 3, Chapter 20, The Constitution of the State, Part I

I Would actually like to do Part I & II, however, with Christmas and the length of this chapter, I will minimize it to just the first Part.

So, at the very latest, I will post this new chapter by the end of January.

Thanks in advance
Karen