[COMPLETE]Mice & Other Poems, by Gerald Bullett-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Mice & Other Poems by Gerald Bullett (1893 - 1958).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/mice-other-poems-by-gerald-bullett/

Volunteers outside the USA: Gerald Bullett died in 1958. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies.
Gerald William Bullett was a British man of letters. He was known as a novelist, essayist, short story writer, critic and poet. He wrote both supernatural fiction and some children's literature. "Mice & Other Poems" is one of a series of small volumes of poetry published after WWI mostly by graduates of the University of Cambridge. The doyen of "Cambridge English", Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch, had this to say about the series: "That since the War, young men in extraordinary numbers have taken to expressing themselves in verse is a plain fact, not to be denied: that they choose, as often as not, to express themselves in 'numbers' extraordinary to us can as hardly be contested. But the point is, they have a crowding impulse to say something; and to say it with the emotional seriousness proper to Poetry. For my part, I love the discipline of verse: but I love the impulse better. Time will soften—I hope not too soon, lest it sugar down and sentimentalise—a certain bitterness of resentment observable in this booklet and its next followers: but, as nothing in verse is nobler than true tradition, anything is more hopeful than convention." ( John Burlinson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33774
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: xbaLdtkN
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Gerald Bullett) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Bullett
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 18
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    • Original publication date (if known): 1921
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry; Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: poetry

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section[number] of Mice & Other Poems. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      [Poem title"]

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Mice & Other Poems by Gerald Bullett. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Then say:
      "[Poem title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of poem"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Mice & Other Poems, by Gerald Bullett."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename miceotherpoems_##_bullett_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. miceotherpoems_01_bullett_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Gerald Bullett
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Mice & Other Poems

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by jburlinson on August 2nd, 2016, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Burlinson
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Hi. I'd like to launch this short collection of poems with the intention of completing the book for the "push to 10,000" initiative.

Thanks for considering this proposal. Please let me know if there are any questions or suggestions.

PS -- It would be nice to find someone willing to DPL -- this should be a short time commitment; so, not too much wear and tear.
John Burlinson
adonis

Post by adonis »

Well, this was a thought of mine, a person could do a Solo book of poems quite quickly (if need be). I'll DPL this for you, if you'd like. Only ever done individual poems before but have to start somewhere.

Tony A.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi John,

I'll MC for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you, and Tony is in as DPL! I will move us in the morning, once I know that you have seen this.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

icequeen wrote:OK, your MW is ready for you, and Tony is in as DPL! I will move us in the morning, once I know that you have seen this.
OK. Great -- thanks everyone. This should be a quickie. But, in the grand tally in the sky, this little chapbook will count the same as War and Peace = 1. Odd, isn't it.
John Burlinson
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
adonis

Post by adonis »

This is a bit easy. Why don't you make some mistakes? Good so far.

T.
adonis

Post by adonis »

Doing well - biting the Bullett. I see he did some supernatural stories (not in Gutenberg). I wonder what they were like?

T.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

No problem, John! I think a lot of us had the same problem, a little case of burnout. Nice to have you back!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
adonis

Post by adonis »

All PLOK and correct, as expected. It's kind of restful doing the PL thing. I might try that again, especially if the teeth give out.

Sincerely,
T.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/mice-other-poems-by-gerald-bullett/

Great job, John and Tony! :clap: :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!