COMPLETE[PLAY]Treasure Island dramatized by Jules Goodman

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

SamuelIAm wrote:I am willing to record Black Dog, Acts 1 and 2 (Sections 10 and 11). Note: I am a newbie here. I ordered and will receive my Blue Yeti mic in 2 days, and I will upload a test recording this week. Also, I recently portrayed Long John Silver in a stage show, so I believe I can pull this off. I would volunteer to record Squire Trelawny also, but I think I should stick to keeping it simple to start with. :)
Thank you. -Sam
Welcome aboard! I will hold Black Dog for you; please get a test recording submitted for review in the appropriate forum so your equipment can be checked out before you record the part. When you do record a part, the first posting here should answer your questions about naming and uploading, but feel free to ask if you still have questions.

Include a voice credit ("Black Dog" read by ****) at the beginning of the files. Since what I finally will do is to cut your files apart and paste everything into a single master file with all the other parts, please leave several seconds between each of the lines. (Download one of the submitted parts here to see if you wish.)

Black Dog and Silver are in the same acts and scenes, so I would not want the same reader for both.

Thanks, Todd

(**** You can have your catalog entries identified with your forum name, or another name if you would like. Please let me know which you would like.)
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

commonsparrow3 wrote:Here is Captain Smollett reporting for duty!

Act 2 -- (length 16:56)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_captsmollett_02.mp3

Act 3 -- (length 10:54)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_captsmollett_03.mp3
Well done. PL OK!

Thanks, Todd
phatsam88

Post by phatsam88 »

OK... If you have a role for me Let me know. I've got a baritone/bass voice. Let me know what might be able to throw my way. Thanks.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

phatsam88 wrote:OK... If you have a role for me Let me know. I've got a baritone/bass voice. Let me know what might be able to throw my way. Thanks.
Please pick a part. Since this is gender neutral casting, baritone/bass is not an automatic prerequisite for any of them nor a disqualifier from any of them. I love to see the mix of voices and characterizations I end up with to assemble the play from.

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll do the stage directions, if I may. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

TriciaG wrote:I'll do the stage directions, if I may. :)
Many thanks. If you haven't looked yet, I think you will find them a bit longer than usual - apparently a lot goes on on this island even without dialog!

Thanks, Todd
maggietravers

Post by maggietravers »

Aye, mateys! I'd be happy ter take that there post of DPLing, if you'd have me. Tis me first time DPLing a dramatic piece, and I'd be begging your patience and such ;) Happy to PL the individual pieces (aka files) and the completed ones (aka acts).
~Maggie

...striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

maggietravers wrote:Aye, mateys! I'd be happy ter take that there post of DPLing, if you'd have me. Tis me first time DPLing a dramatic piece, and I'd be begging your patience and such ;) Happy to PL the individual pieces (aka files) and the completed ones (aka acts).
Many thanks and welcome aboard! I have given you MW access so you can record your findings!

Todd
fairyland

Post by fairyland »

I be the DPLer's daughter and I'd be happy to be speaking the "Joyce's" parts :)
philozookjedi

Post by philozookjedi »

And I'm both the DPLer's son and "Joyce"'s brother...may I have "Gray" 's parts, sir? (sections 8 and 9)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Regarding the "preface" - I assume you're talking about recording the portion directly after the "scenes of the play", and not the notice on the page before the cast list?

And I assume I'm recording the cast list such that you'll insert the "recorded by" voice credit into it? Or am I reading it "normally" with not much space between each name?

Next Q: In the stage directions, it talks about "stage R. I" and "stage L. I". I know that's stage right and left, but what is the I?

Finally: In act II stage directions (p.29), the parrot speaks. Should I read those lines or leave room for the parrot?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

TriciaG wrote:Regarding the "preface" - I assume you're talking about recording the portion directly after the "scenes of the play", and not the notice on the page before the cast list?

And I assume I'm recording the cast list such that you'll insert the "recorded by" voice credit into it? Or am I reading it "normally" with not much space between each name?

Next Q: In the stage directions, it talks about "stage R. I" and "stage L. I". I know that's stage right and left, but what is the I?

Finally: In act II stage directions (p.29), the parrot speaks. Should I read those lines or leave room for the parrot?
I like the notice on the page before the cast list. (I think - I can't access it from here to check now.) Sorta helps explain why there is a play version of this book, as I remember.

Yes, I'll be cutting in everyone's voice credits in the cast list, so please leave me space for that.

Re: stage R.I.: Well, I had a lovely little excursion through the Didascaliae of plays. (Didascaliae - I just learned that word in my googling - are all the non-dialog parts of the script that set the scene and give actor directions. I see the terms right front, right upper, right center - abbreviated rf, ru, rc - and any number of other directions, but "right something-starting-with-I" is never mentioned. Perhaps "intermediate"? I'll look through the play for uppers and lowers and such to see if I can find any clues.

In general, when narration says the someone says something or a door is knocked or a parrot squawks, I prefer to have the narrator read that rather than interrupting the narrative flow (of the Didascaliae, using my new word for the day). Our parrot person has provided me with a bevy of extra squawks that might be just perfect to drop in there later, and I'll decide what to do when I edit.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Fairyland and philozookjedi, yes you may have those parts. I can't update the MW until I get home tonight.

By the way, philozookjedi, plays tend to have a mobile MW (meaning that BCs may move stuff in them around a lot - to keep unclaimed stuff up top and ready-to-edit stuff at the bottom - not that they work on a phone) so section numbers are not as useful as the character names. You gave both in your claim which is great.

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

"Intermediate" makes sense. I'll use that unless I hear something different. :)