COMPLETE[PLAY]Treasure Island dramatized by Jules Goodman

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

OK, here's Captain Bill Bones! It's the same file, so don't PL it twice! I've given you the version with my "male voice processing" put on it, or the other version is the natural voice file - I wasn't sure which you would prefer since you seem to have a mixture of male and female pirates.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_captainbones_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_captainboneslowered_1.mp3

There are also lots of stage directions about throwing things, hitting things, groans and strange noises. I've made an appropriate sound for most of them (including a soft getting gradually louder version of the song for one scene which says "he approaches singing") and a couple of "peculiar strangled noises" for my death scene. I figure you can always cut them if you don't want them, but I hope you decide to use them - I've never died on stage before! :lol:

Also, there's quite a bit of shouting followed by confidential whispers. I've left the volume pretty much as it was recorded so you might need to adjust a bit if the loud parts are too loud or the soft parts too soft. I think overall it should be "within tolerance" though. :thumbs:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Elizabby wrote:OK, here's Captain Bill Bones! It's the same file, so don't PL it twice! I've given you the version with my "male voice processing" put on it, or the other version is the natural voice file - I wasn't sure which you would prefer since you seem to have a mixture of male and female pirates.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_captainbones_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_captainboneslowered_1.mp3

There are also lots of stage directions about throwing things, hitting things, groans and strange noises. I've made an appropriate sound for most of them (including a soft getting gradually louder version of the song for one scene which says "he approaches singing") and a couple of "peculiar strangled noises" for my death scene. I figure you can always cut them if you don't want them, but I hope you decide to use them - I've never died on stage before! :lol:

Also, there's quite a bit of shouting followed by confidential whispers. I've left the volume pretty much as it was recorded so you might need to adjust a bit if the loud parts are too loud or the soft parts too soft. I think overall it should be "within tolerance" though. :thumbs:
I put the natural version in the MW for PL; then I'll listen to the other version.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

TriciaG wrote:Narrator, Act 1:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_narrator_1.mp3

I recorded almost everything. If I was in doubt, I recorded it. :lol:

A couple notes:

8:27, 8:39 - included character name, then repeated stage direction w/o character name.

9:31, 9:37 - included character name, but it can easily be cut out if you don't want it.
Thanks!

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

natsnut wrote:Here's old Pew, hopefully snarly and mean enough.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_pew_01.mp3
Length 6:42
Darn, I didn't get to be trampled to death by horses in this version.
Thanks!

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

maggietravers wrote:
PL Notes:

Act 1 missing line at 6:04 "What's that?"

Act 2 missing lines at 3:00 "Well, then, why not give them the map, sir?" and "I beg your pardon, sir. You say it's time you want."
Great - thanks for PL'ing and thanks for putting them at the top of the MW so they can be seen easily!

Todd
maggietravers

Post by maggietravers »

There are several lines missing for George Merry:
Act 1, scene 1 Bill's dead! They've been here before us. And Bill's been overhauled already--nothin' left. pgs. 25-26
The line that is recorded on this file actually belongs on the Act 2 file (from Act 2, scene 1 pg 35)

Act 2, scene 3 pg 49 Here--Black Dog--Hands I found these two trying to carve each other up
pg 56 Now then men, after them--we'll finish this up Haven't we got the chart--haven't we-- Then we'll find out soon enough. Come lads--come

Act 4, pg 93 On the ALL part it should read Captain Silver--Captain Silver, Captain forever. The 3rd "Captain" was left out.

Also, Act 1 was recorded too low at 84.9dB and Act 4 was recorded too high at 94.2dB.
~Maggie

...striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks for the fast PL'ing! This is a big help!
Also, Act 1 was recorded too low at 84.9dB and Act 4 was recorded too high at 94.2dB.
I don't worry much about recording levels in plays. I am going to adjust them all when I edit anyway. And some of the checker programs have trouble with all the silences that are between the lines in the files.

However, levels that are so high as to cause clipping - red lines in Audacity - are definitely not good. And levels that are so low as to be filled with noise when amplified to be acceptable are also not good.

Thanks, Todd
maggietravers

Post by maggietravers »

ToddHW wrote:Thanks for the fast PL'ing! This is a big help!
I don't worry much about recording levels in plays. I am going to adjust them all when I edit anyway. And some of the checker programs have trouble with all the silences that are between the lines in the files.

However, levels that are so high as to cause clipping - red lines in Audacity - are definitely not good. And levels that are so low as to be filled with noise when amplified to be acceptable are also not good.

Thanks, Todd

Ok, I use Checker to check the files...what range should I look for then? Too low.....too high? I'm not familiar enough to know what will cause clipping or extra noise :hmm:

Thanks! Will try to get to the waiting files quickly
~Maggie

...striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I use Audacity which has a feature that shows red lines when there is clipping. Often before my aged ears can hear the unrepairable buzz of clipping. I also amplify soft submittals and look for - visually - hiss that I may not hear either but that many listeners might - and I may try noise removal to see if that repairs the file.

No actual numbers for either extreme, I'm afraid. In addition to the problems Checker can have with all the gaps between lines, some folks will have mic turn-on or turn-off spike noise that they don't remove since they know that won't get used.

Thank you very much for volunteering to DPL! Sorry this is so hard to quantify.

Thanks, Todd
Khaghbboommm

Post by Khaghbboommm »

Hi

Here's my first stab at Israel Hands. It's just one file but I will split it up if you want. I tried to hunt down every line but the format of the text was not so easy to work with as Project Guttenberg. The db level is a little high I think but after 20 attempts with Audacity my patience wore out! I am sure there will be corrections so I will try again later.

The file is at: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_[role]_[1].mp3

(Oh sorry - I can see now that 'role' should be filled in - mea culpa!)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Khaghbboommm wrote:Hi

Here's my first stab at Israel Hands. It's just one file but I will split it up if you want. I tried to hunt down every line but the format of the text was not so easy to work with as Project Guttenberg. The db level is a little high I think but after 20 attempts with Audacity my patience wore out! I am sure there will be corrections so I will try again later.

The file is at: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_[role]_[1].mp3

(Oh sorry - I can see now that 'role' should be filled in - mea culpa!)
The [ ] make the link unuseable. (You can see how they are not underlined in your message.) Please break the file up into one per act and upload again. Your file names should look like treasureislandaplayin4acts_hands_1, treasureislandaplayin4acts_hands_2, etc.

I agree with your comment about Archive vs Gutenberg - but Gutenberg did not have this, alas.

Thanks, Todd
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Acts I and II are ready for spot PL. Here are Acts III and IV:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_jimhawkins_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/treasureislandaplayin4acts_jimhawkins_4.mp3

At the end of one scene there were a bunch of "all" lines that looked like they should just be for the pirates - I didn't read them, but let me know if you want them. :)
Thanks!
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Adele

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks, Jim and John!

MW updated.

Todd