[Complete] Miscellanea Curiosa Vol 1 by E Halley - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
MrsHand
Posts: 4078
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 11:54 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by MrsHand » August 1st, 2016, 8:21 am

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Chapter 9 - 35.00 - https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/misccuriosa_v1_09_halley_128kb.mp3

MaryAnn
Chapter 9 is PL OK!

MrsHand
Posts: 4078
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 11:54 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by MrsHand » August 1st, 2016, 9:05 am

PL Notes:

Section 18 - Intro and Outro say "Chapter 16," but it's chapter 18.

Section 20 - Intro and Outro say "Chapter 18," but it's chapter 20.

Section 24 - Intro and Outro say "Chapter 22," but it's chapter 24.

Very well read!

NoelBadrian
Posts: 1245
Joined: December 4th, 2011, 10:25 am
Location: Ireland

Post by NoelBadrian » August 1st, 2016, 11:57 am

Lynnet wrote:
NoelBadrian wrote:Hi,
I Just came from the page at:
11 years - 10,000 projects? Less than 40 projects to go!
My Latin is a little rusty but I will give Section 11 a try if still available.
Noel
Hi Noel
Thank you for offering, but Jim just beat you to the punch on that one. Chapter 6 is still available if you want it.
Lynne
Oh, Well done Jim!
Lynne, I am not sure that I can do proper justice to Halley's Essay but in the interest of hitting our 10,000 target, I will give it my best shot. Sign me up!
Noel
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21246
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » August 1st, 2016, 3:52 pm

NoelBadrian wrote: Lynne, I am not sure that I can do proper justice to Halley's Essay but in the interest of hitting our 10,000 target, I will give it my best shot. Sign me up!
Noel
All yours!
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 8 sections remaining
Castle of Twilight 7 sections remaining
Hinduism and Buddhism Vol. 3 21 sections remaining
Romance of the Romanoffs 1 section remaining

MrsHand
Posts: 4078
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 11:54 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by MrsHand » August 1st, 2016, 5:15 pm

MrsHand wrote: PL Notes:

Section 18 - Intro and Outro say "Chapter 16," but it's chapter 18.

Section 20 - Intro and Outro say "Chapter 18," but it's chapter 20.

Section 24 - Intro and Outro say "Chapter 22," but it's chapter 24.

Very well read!
I'm apparently not the sharpest tool in the shed today! I failed to notice that these 3 don't match up with their section number (like the ones I listened to earlier today did). They are PL OK!

:oops:

NoelBadrian
Posts: 1245
Joined: December 4th, 2011, 10:25 am
Location: Ireland

Post by NoelBadrian » August 2nd, 2016, 3:53 pm

Hi,
Well, for better or worse here is Section 6 - Length = 32:06
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/misccuriosa_v1_06_halley_128kb.mp3
I did not understand half of what I was reading as my background is in the Biological sciences not those Physical ones :hmm: so I hope what I read makes sense.
There were also some abbreviations near the beginning that I could not for the life of me figure out so if you wish them to be read in full, please translate for me :?
Noel
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21246
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » August 2nd, 2016, 5:44 pm

NoelBadrian wrote:Hi,
Well, for better or worse here is Section 6 - Length = 32:06
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/misccuriosa_v1_06_halley_128kb.mp3
I did not understand half of what I was reading as my background is in the Biological sciences not those Physical ones :hmm: so I hope what I read makes sense.
There were also some abbreviations near the beginning that I could not for the life of me figure out so if you wish them to be read in full, please translate for me :?
Noel
Thank you. I wouldn't know if it makes sense or not... I am definitely not of a scientific "bent" so a huge thank you.
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 8 sections remaining
Castle of Twilight 7 sections remaining
Hinduism and Buddhism Vol. 3 21 sections remaining
Romance of the Romanoffs 1 section remaining

MrsHand
Posts: 4078
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 11:54 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by MrsHand » August 3rd, 2016, 5:36 am

NoelBadrian wrote:Hi,
Well, for better or worse here is Section 6 - Length = 32:06
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/misccuriosa_v1_06_halley_128kb.mp3
I did not understand half of what I was reading as my background is in the Biological sciences not those Physical ones :hmm: so I hope what I read makes sense.
There were also some abbreviations near the beginning that I could not for the life of me figure out so if you wish them to be read in full, please translate for me :?
Noel
PL OK!

If it helps, I haven't understood a word of what I've PLed!

NoelBadrian
Posts: 1245
Joined: December 4th, 2011, 10:25 am
Location: Ireland

Post by NoelBadrian » August 3rd, 2016, 7:24 am

MrsHand wrote:
NoelBadrian wrote:Hi,
Well, for better or worse here is Section 6 - Length = 32:06
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/misccuriosa_v1_06_halley_128kb.mp3
I did not understand half of what I was reading as my background is in the Biological sciences not those Physical ones :hmm: so I hope what I read makes sense.
There were also some abbreviations near the beginning that I could not for the life of me figure out so if you wish them to be read in full, please translate for me :?
Noel
PL OK!

If it helps, I haven't understood a word of what I've PLed!
:thumbs:
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury

neecheelok70
Posts: 8252
Joined: April 4th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Post by neecheelok70 » August 4th, 2016, 4:31 pm


Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21246
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » August 4th, 2016, 4:36 pm

Thank you.
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 8 sections remaining
Castle of Twilight 7 sections remaining
Hinduism and Buddhism Vol. 3 21 sections remaining
Romance of the Romanoffs 1 section remaining

MrsHand
Posts: 4078
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 11:54 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by MrsHand » August 8th, 2016, 8:16 am

Well done Jim!

I noticed several instances where it appears the word "saliva" was copied and pasted into the latter half of the reading (maybe a change in a prior pronunciation?), but the editing makes it sound like there's a slight stutter..."s-saliva."

It was only really noticeable in the latter half of the reading, happening about once a minute starting at the 25 minute mark and going to the end. I'm not sure it needs to be re-done, but I'd like to defer to Lynette on what she thinks about it. I'm going to mark it "See PL Notes" and we'll go from there!

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21246
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » August 8th, 2016, 8:32 am

MrsHand wrote:
Well done Jim!

I noticed several instances where it appears the word "saliva" was copied and pasted into the latter half of the reading (maybe a change in a prior pronunciation?), but the editing makes it sound like there's a slight stutter..."s-saliva."

It was only really noticeable in the latter half of the reading, happening about once a minute starting at the 25 minute mark and going to the end. I'm not sure it needs to be re-done, but I'd like to defer to Lynette on what she thinks about it. I'm going to mark it "See PL Notes" and we'll go from there!
The general rule is that PL notes are suggestions and its up to the reader whether to correct them (unless there's a whole chunk missing!). In this instance, it doesn't seem too big a deal, so I wouldn't bother (unless it comes out as more like "sal...saliva").
Kristen, you were right to point it out, but it's an optional edit.
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 8 sections remaining
Castle of Twilight 7 sections remaining
Hinduism and Buddhism Vol. 3 21 sections remaining
Romance of the Romanoffs 1 section remaining

MrsHand
Posts: 4078
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 11:54 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by MrsHand » August 8th, 2016, 9:47 am

Since it's an optional edit, I'm going to go ahead and change it to PL OK!

Thanks for weighing in Lynne! (I've just realized I called you Lynnette previously...I know better. So sorry about that!)

kerent
Posts: 18
Joined: April 19th, 2016, 8:08 am

Post by kerent » August 14th, 2016, 8:06 pm


Post Reply