Play Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
msfry

Post by msfry »

I didn't know there was a Play Suggestions thread. Where does it reside?
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Michelle :) It's pinned at top of the Readers Wanted: Dramatic Works board. (As well as a pin for DR suggestions for novels)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
msfry

Post by msfry »

LCaulkins wrote: October 21st, 2023, 7:25 am Hi, Michelle :) It's pinned at top of the Readers Wanted: Dramatic Works board. (As well as a pin for DR suggestions for novels)
Ah, I see. Thanks.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

This might offer good material for short DR work:

A dramatic version of Greek myths and hero tales
https://archive.org/details/adramaticversio00comsgoog/page/n4/mode/2up
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

DrSpoke wrote: November 12th, 2023, 2:45 pm This might offer good material for short DR work:

A dramatic version of Greek myths and hero tales
https://archive.org/details/adramaticversio00comsgoog/page/n4/mode/2up
Wow that looks like a lot of fun actually, in length (they're only 3-12 pages long) they're more like a collection of one act plays even though they seem to have multiple scenes, it even has a pronunciation index at the back for help with the Greek names.

Does anyone experienced have any advice on how this would be set up? Would it be like one 'act' covers one story? Because there's 25 in total which is more than even one act plays collections have but they seem way too short to do as a whole project per story
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

We also had a book of Dramatic Sequels https://librivox.org/mr-punchs-dramatic-sequels-by-st-john-hankin/

What happened after the events in 14 various plays....

So it can be done.... (I actually remember it fondly)

Thanks, Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Thanks for the advice and examples Rapunzelina and Todd! I think I might just be crazy enough to try it :wink:
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Inkell wrote: February 8th, 2024, 11:34 am Thanks for the advice and examples Rapunzelina and Todd! I think I might just be crazy enough to try it :wink:
Hi Inkell
Most of them have between 4 and 10 characters so you would need well over 100 sections for individual roles.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

alanmapstone wrote: February 9th, 2024, 12:29 am Hi Inkell
Most of them have between 4 and 10 characters so you would need well over 100 sections for individual roles.
It's actually over 200 and adding in an extra 25 for final acts it's looking at roughly 235 sections, it'll definitely be a huge undertaking. I might wait on it and kind of build up to it, before I got distracted by that I actually came to this thread to post for any interest for the Giles Corey play for a DPL and stage directions because I don't want to read stage directions for that and that's only 40-50 odd sections. I really love the Greek myths though and this looks like a really cool project even if it is more work in the MW and would likely take longer because I'd need a bigger cast but I would still like to do it
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

It is very much like the one act play collection except that

* we know the name and number of roles for each play right from the start so we are set up properly for cataloging right from the very beginning. (I do this already on the one act play collections by pre-assigning final filenames to the sections for the assembled plays)

* the same person might BC or PL or edit all the plays (Though not necessarily. As in the one act collections, you are restricted to only one BC or PL access covering the entire MW for entering status, etc., but different people can still do BC and PL and editing stuff for different play via the forum)

Number of sections is not a critical problem - we move completed stuff out of the way to the bottom of the MW so it does not confuse.

You might check if there are a buncha continuing characters, with the same role names used in several plays, and set up for a reader to take all of those roles on (but submitting separate files for each play) when they make a claim. Would help to have a single cast list rather than 25 smaller ones....

Thanks, Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Thanks again for the advice, Todd! I would BC, edit and do the stage directions for all the plays myself but not PL, I would need a DPL(s). There are some repeating characters or repeating role names though not as many as you'd think, it's about 140 individual roles still and only about 25 of them appear in multiple stories. I do know you can have large numbers of sections but I'm not as experienced as a lot of the people who do such a large projects, this would be the largest one I've BC'd

EDIT: having gone through it again in detail, it requires 235 sections in total. There are 141 roles, 113 roles appear in one story only, 28 (27 if you discount stage directions) in multiple
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

So before I launch this (a dramatic version of Greek myths and hero tales - https://archive.org/details/adramaticversio00comsgoog/page/n4/mode/2up) are there any interested MCs? And are there any interested DPLs? And for prospective DPLs, if it seems like too much work for the whole thing, for these kind of play collections apparently we are allowed multiple you just won't have access to the MW if the role is shared (just like the one act play collection) so you could just DPL the play(s) you're interested in or only do parts and someone else will PL final plays or something.

For Todd specifically, 1) you think one large cast list would be easier instead of multiple small ones like for one act plays so I'm thinking ordering it by largest roles then one-offs in play order, does that sound good? I think it's what DRs usually do. 2) In the MW we usually put '[role], [act number]' but since this isn't in acts should I do '[role], [play title]' (for example 'Jupiter, Pandora') or would I do like '[role], [play number]' (so 'Jupiter, Play 1')? In which case I would note the play name in the MW notes, the plays aren't numbered in the text so I think the name of the play should be somewhere in the MW to make it clearer for readers. 3) Even if it is one big cast list in the MW, should I also post it as one big cast list at the end too or do multiple mini ones as the individual plays wrap up like for one act play collections? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing things right
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Inkell wrote: February 10th, 2024, 4:44 am For Todd specifically,
1) you think one large cast list would be easier instead of multiple small ones like for one act plays so I'm thinking ordering it by largest roles then one-offs in play order, does that sound good? I think it's what DRs usually do.
You won't have to worry about this for many months, but your idea seems good.
Inkell wrote: February 10th, 2024, 4:44 am 2) In the MW we usually put '[role], [act number]' but since this isn't in acts should I do '[role], [play title]' (for example 'Jupiter, Pandora') or would I do like '[role], [play number]' (so 'Jupiter, Play 1')? In which case I would note the play name in the MW notes, the plays aren't numbered in the text so I think the name of the play should be somewhere in the MW to make it clearer for readers.
Howsabout 'Jupiter, in Pandora'? Reader filenames could be mythandhero_[role]_[play] or for example, mythandhero_jupiter_pandora
Inkell wrote: February 10th, 2024, 4:44 am 3) Even if it is one big cast list in the MW, should I also post it as one big cast list at the end too or do multiple mini ones as the individual plays wrap up like for one act play collections? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing things right
I think multiple mini-ones, just like the one act collections, would be good.

You should have a section for each of the completed plays in the MW, and these could be pre-assigned filenames in the notes column like I do in the one act collection: greekmythandherotales_##_comstock_128kb As reader sections are completed and PL'd, you can drag those reader sections down under the appropriate completed play file so you will know when each play is ready to be edited.

Glad you are taking on this challenge. It will be fun.

Thanks, Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Inkell wrote: February 10th, 2024, 4:44 am So before I launch this (a dramatic version of Greek myths and hero tales - https://archive.org/details/adramaticversio00comsgoog/page/n4/mode/2up) are there any interested MCs? And are there any interested DPLs? And for prospective DPLs, if it seems like too much work for the whole thing, for these kind of play collections apparently we are allowed multiple you just won't have access to the MW if the role is shared (just like the one act play collection) so you could just DPL the play(s) you're interested in or only do parts and someone else will PL final plays or something.
This is going to be a cool project!! Looks like a fun amalgamation of Play and Novel BC'ing. You'll do great! Surely you won't have a problem getting an MC sponsor once it's on the Launch Pad. :)

I'd like to help out in some way with PL'ing, either with final-chapter DPL or with a given play full-PLing. The approach is ultimately your choice, just let us PL volunteers know in a reply post on your Launch Pad entry what you're looking for.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

ToddHW wrote: February 10th, 2024, 7:56 am You won't have to worry about this for many months, but your idea seems good.

Howsabout 'Jupiter, in Pandora'? Reader filenames could be mythandhero_[role]_[play] or for example, mythandhero_jupiter_pandora

I think multiple mini-ones, just like the one act collections, would be good.

You should have a section for each of the completed plays in the MW, and these could be pre-assigned filenames in the notes column like I do in the one act collection: greekmythandherotales_##_comstock_128kb As reader sections are completed and PL'd, you can drag those reader sections down under the appropriate completed play file so you will know when each play is ready to be edited.

Glad you are taking on this challenge. It will be fun.

Thanks, Todd
Thanks again for the advice, Todd! I like your '[role], in [play]' suggestion and that should hopefully avoid any confusion because quite a few of the plays are named after a character. File names sound good it's just like the one act play file names, I didn't even realize BCs were allowed to decide them, I thought it autogenerated it. Don't worry I made sure to add 25 to my section number, 210 are roles and 25 are for the finished plays. I can definitely add those file names if you think it's helpful and I do already subscribe to the School of Todd for play MWs, dragging the PL OK sections down under the completed file was what I did for my play last year, it is very efficient. :thumbs: I'm glad you think it'll be fun too!
LCaulkins wrote: February 10th, 2024, 11:24 am This is going to be a cool project!! Looks like a fun amalgamation of Play and Novel BC'ing. You'll do great! Surely you won't have a problem getting an MC sponsor once it's on the Launch Pad. :)

I'd like to help out in some way with PL'ing, either with final-chapter DPL or with a given play full-PLing. The approach is ultimately your choice, just let us PL volunteers know in a reply post on your Launch Pad entry what you're looking for.
Thank you for the vote of confidence! I'm glad others also think this project looks cool and you're right, it does seem kind of an amalgamation. I hope not, we'll find out when I launch it tomorrow though. I'm not picky to be honest, it just depends what people are willing to do and so far you're the first to express interest in PLing. If you're down for handling all of the final PL-chapter PLing then great, I'll just need to focus on finding someone(s) for parts-PLing or I also thought it might be good if like five people just each chose five plays and handled the parts and final for their chosen plays, I'd try to mention the DPL when accepting the submission to make it easier for the DPLs to see when they have a parts or a play to PL (also note these are just example numbers, there's 25 plays total so 5 is just the go-to example and if you only wanted to do one that's also fine, some are quite short if you want a low workload one). Do you have a preference? I will explain this in a reply on the launch pad, don't worry and thanks for the offer to help :thumbs: