Play Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

ToddHW wrote: September 5th, 2023, 7:02 am Tempted. So tempted to do both of them!!

Thanks, Todd
I approve! :thumbs:
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

ToddHW wrote: September 5th, 2023, 7:02 am Tempted. So tempted to do both of them!!

Thanks, Todd
Please do!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Thanks, Todd
Please do so I can reprise my role as Bardolph :lol:

Both versions seem.to have the same DP and the same opening scene (I haven't read further) :?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks, Todd
Alright. I'm going to run them in series though since they have the same name so no one posts a file to the wrong project.

Should be posted later today. Not entertaining advance claims.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Did I say I would post it today? It is ready, but first there is one more role to be claimed in Faire Em!! Only then will I launch Falstaff's Wedding (1760 Version).

Where, oh where, is my Rozilio (also called Rocilio and Rosilio)?

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great. Faire Em is full. I will launch Falstaff's Wedding this weekend.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Esther by Racine
I have been asked if I have any plans to record Esther by Racine as it is now the only one of his plays we do not have in the catalogue. While I am not prepared to BC it at present I would be happy to help anyone else who wanted to try it by acting as DPL and perhaps helping with the editing.
Any takers :hmm:
Alan
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

-
Last edited by RobMarland on December 8th, 2023, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Marland reader section | website
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

RobMarland wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 12:50 am
alanmapstone wrote: April 12th, 2023, 2:15 am A Chaste Maid in Cheapside by Thomas Middleton
https://archive.org/details/cu31924013133438/page/n15/mode/1up?view=theater
This city comedy would be fun to do. I can't take it on just now. Anyone else interested?
Hi Alan,
I’ve been away from LV for a while, but checked in today and can’t resist this. Working on city comedies has always been my favourite thing to do here, and this has been on my list for ages.
I would be willing to BC and edit. I can PL roles as they arrive, but would be happy to share that load if anyone else wants to pitch in. Would you be able to MC?
Hi Rob
I am not an Admin so I cannot MC. If you launch someone I am sure someone will MC it, perhaps Todd who usually likes plays like this.

I would certainly help with the PL of final acts and read a role/stage directions but not edit as I have 3 plays of my own which I am due to edit :(
Alan
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

-
Last edited by RobMarland on December 8th, 2023, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yeah, I will be glad to MC. If and when...

Thanks, Todd
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

-
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Perkin Warbeck by John Ford

Someone suggested this play and this looks like a good readable PD text, published in 1831

https://archive.org/details/dramaticworksofj01ford/page/237/mode/1up?view=theater
Alan
msfry

Post by msfry »

I'm not familiar with how to put together a dramatic production, but here is a famous play that could be timely considering the ongoing unrest in the Middle East:

Nathan The Wise, English translation from the German by Patrick Maxwell, published 1917

The editor's preface describes it as "a masterful plea for tolerance and brotherhood which the poet makes in this vivid and picturesque drama."
https://archive.org/details/nathanwise01less/page/9/mode/1up

Author:
Goothold Ephriam Lessing 1729-1781
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthold_Ephraim_Lessing

Samuel Putnam says of Lessing: "He wrote some of the finest dramas in the German language, superior in construction, if not equal in genius, to those of Schiller and Goethe. His " Nathan the Wise " will long be remembered for its breadth of thought, genial spirit, nobility of purpose, and devotion to humanity. It is a lesson in toleration and justice."
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

msfry wrote: October 20th, 2023, 12:02 pm I'm not familiar with how to put together a dramatic production, but here is a famous play that could be timely considering the ongoing unrest in the Middle East:

Nathan The Wise, English translation from the German by Patrick Maxwell, published 1917

The editor's preface describes it as "a masterful plea for tolerance and brotherhood which the poet makes in this vivid and picturesque drama."
https://archive.org/details/nathanwise01less/page/9/mode/1up

Author:
Goothold Ephriam Lessing 1729-1781
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthold_Ephraim_Lessing

Samuel Putnam says of Lessing: "He wrote some of the finest dramas in the German language, superior in construction, if not equal in genius, to those of Schiller and Goethe. His " Nathan the Wise " will long be remembered for its breadth of thought, genial spirit, nobility of purpose, and devotion to humanity. It is a lesson in toleration and justice."
Moved to Play Suggestions. Thanks, Michele!