~FULL [DRAM.READ] Count of Monte Cristo by Alex. Dumas-mas

Plays and other dramatic works
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

We are getting towards the finish line on this project, and now I need to ask for some help.

1. PL of my parts, The Count. I have it all recorded and I'm working my way through the edits. It's been stalled because I broke my right arm, but it'll start up again when I get the cast off in two weeks. It does not need to be word perfect PL, but it's important to me that the meaning is the same, so I do ask that you follow along with the text and point out if the meaning has changed. Also, let me know if I have mispronounced any of the english words.

2. Edit of chapters.The chapters with green and bold "Link to text" are ready for edit.

3. PL of the finished chapters.

If you want to claim a chapter for PL or editing, just post in the forum the one you'd like to do. You don't have to wait for my okay, I will mark in the mw if I'm working on something.
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
benderca

Post by benderca »

Quick question, Kristin: Do we need to speak French or know the proper French pronunciation to PL? I'm assuming for the count's part the pronunciation of the names will be correct; and for the chapters someone has already PLed the parts, so they should also be correct? If so, the PLer doesn't need to know the French pronunciation?
Kristingj wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 8:24 am We are getting towards the finish line on this project, and now I need to ask for some help.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

benderca wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 1:33 pm Quick question, Kristin: Do we need to speak French or know the proper French pronunciation to PL? I'm assuming for the count's part the pronunciation of the names will be correct; and for the chapters someone has already PLed the parts, so they should also be correct? If so, the PLer doesn't need to know the French pronunciation?
Kristingj wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 8:24 am We are getting towards the finish line on this project, and now I need to ask for some help.
Yeah, thats right, that should have been checked already!
Kristin

benderca

Post by benderca »

Kristingj wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 3:05 pm
benderca wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 1:33 pm Quick question, Kristin: Do we need to speak French or know the proper French pronunciation to PL? I'm assuming for the count's part the pronunciation of the names will be correct; and for the chapters someone has already PLed the parts, so they should also be correct? If so, the PLer doesn't need to know the French pronunciation?
Yeah, thats right, that should have been checked already!
Good, because the French accents are the hardest part for me. :lol:

I listened to Edmund Dantès Chapter 37 and have some (very tiny) notes (which you can take or leave):

1:20 "summon" sounds like "summer" - but it may be too slight to notice.
1:45-1:47 "Never" is repeated twice (though it only appears once in the text).
1:51 This is also slight, but "rise" (/rīz/) sounds more like "rice" (/rīs/)
4:15 "ceremony" sounds like it has only 3 syllables and it should have 4 (/sĕr′ə-mō″nē/) -- the second syllable is missing, which makes it hard to understand.
6:02 I hear "feel" instead of "feels" (but this is almost not worth mentioning as the sentence is perfectly understandable as is).

TJ
benderca

Post by benderca »

Two teensy tiny notes for Edmund Dantès Chapter 38:

0:25 I hear "indifferent" instead of "indifference"
3:07 It sounds to me like you say "peculiar" instead of "particular"

TJ
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Thanks!
Kristin

ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

I will PL Chapter 40. This will be my first PL :shock:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

In Chapter 40 I found a few omissions, substitutions, etc. as follows

1:57 You say “but a little” the text says “but little”
3:45 "comidous" should be pronounced “comodi-ous”
5:06 "expedious" should be "expe-di-tious"
5:50 How have I deviated “how” is omitted
7:33 Thomson the h should be silent I think?
7:59 "Happy" is not repeated in the text
8:12 “Any” should be “Anyone”
9:23 “Ah” is someone else's line
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

ShellyW wrote: February 25th, 2024, 5:00 pm In Chapter 40 I found a few omissions, substitutions, etc. as follows

This being my first PL I have some questions about the feedback I gave. I was assuming you want it word perfect - but now I'm thinking that might not be the case. 🤔 If I was too picky just ignore me :thumbs:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

ShellyW wrote: February 25th, 2024, 6:52 pm
ShellyW wrote: February 25th, 2024, 5:00 pm In Chapter 40 I found a few omissions, substitutions, etc. as follows

This being my first PL I have some questions about the feedback I gave. I was assuming you want it word perfect - but now I'm thinking that might not be the case. 🤔 If I was too picky just ignore me :thumbs:
Thanks! I'll double check it when I edit 😊
Kristin

BarbaraGuerra

Post by BarbaraGuerra »

0:18 “blender” in place of “bender”
1:29 repetition “do do”
3:36 missing “most”
4:41 missing “a” before “half”
5:02 extra “to”
5:13 “the” in place of “that”

My deepest apologies if I've posted this to the wrong place or have done something else wrong, I'm new here and confused. I also accidentally missed that the PL did NOT need to be word perfect so it's quite pedantic. Kristingj, I was going to message you, but I have not yet earned that ability. I am happy to PL few other remaining sections but I'm unclear on how claiming sections work or how to communicate with the reader of the section.

Edit: this pertains to section 5.
Edit 2: section 5 as in the Edmund Dantès part in chapter 41
Last edited by BarbaraGuerra on March 2nd, 2024, 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

BarbaraGuerra wrote: March 1st, 2024, 6:29 pm 0:18 “blender” in place of “bender”

My deepest apologies if I've posted this to the wrong place or have done something else wrong, I'm new here and confused. I also accidentally missed that the PL did NOT need to be word perfect so it's quite pedantic. Kristingj, I was going to message you, but I have not yet earned that ability. I am happy to PL few other remaining sections but I'm unclear on how claiming sections work or how to communicate with the reader of the section.
Barbara - I moved your post into the project thread. You can post PL notes or whatever else pertaining to this project in here. :)

EDIT: Oops, we lost the thread title. I think it was for section 5, correct?
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

TriciaG wrote: March 1st, 2024, 7:17 pm
BarbaraGuerra wrote: March 1st, 2024, 6:29 pm 0:18 “blender” in place of “bender”

Barbara - I moved your post into the project thread. You can post PL notes or whatever else pertaining to this project in here. :)

EDIT: Oops, we lost the thread title. I think it was for section 5, correct?
Thanks to both of you!
For claiming, post in this thread something like "Im doing PL for chapter so and so' and then post the pl notes when you're done. As the sections move around, put chapter instead of sections just incase:)
Kristin

BarbaraGuerra

Post by BarbaraGuerra »

I'm doing the PL for the part of Edmund Dantès in chapters 41, 42, and 45; as well as for the part of Beauchamp in chapter 84.
BarbaraGuerra

Post by BarbaraGuerra »

PL - Edmund Dantè Chapter 42

2:13 “I am” in place of “am I”
2:33 “environment” in place of “environs”
3:11 extra “to” before “residing”