Veg Dish Here

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

As in vegetarian or vegan, your favorite recipe. Comfort food or sides -- the simpler the better. 8-)

For instance, in light of the recent recall of a name-brand hummus in the States (Google it), making it fresh is so much better!
1 can chickpeas
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt (or salt substitute) to taste

Whirl ingredients in food processor or blender, scraping the sides of the latter's container frequently, until thoroughly smooth. Serve with raw veggies, breadsticks, toasted pita shells, etc.
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

You forgot the tahini, that makes hummus so very yummy! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

... and a bit of lemon juice!
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Yes, lemon juice will add more yum!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

As you've said the simpler the better, here's a four-ingredient recipe:

-one butternut squash (or any squash, though you'll have to adjust the time), chopped into cubes or chunks
-one block of tofu, cut into chunks
-coconut oil
-chopped chillies

Shove it all in the oven for 45-60 minutes, depending on what type of squash you're using and how big you've chopped the squash and tofu. If it's winter and the coconut oil is hard, pull out the dish after ten minutes once it's melted to stir it and make sure everything is coated.
MBraymiller

Post by MBraymiller »

One of my favorite comfort foods is potato leek soup. I use a very simple recipe and it takes about an hour from start to finish.

Potato Leek Soup

1 Onion chopped
4 Leeks sliced into discs, include about half of the greens
6 or 7 Russett potatoes cubed with skins
8 ounces shredded extra sharp cheddar (optional)
1 pint half and half
3-4 cups Vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions and leeks until tender.
Add potatoes and enough vegetable broth to come level with them. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer until potatoes are tender. Turn off heat.
Mash the potatoes until you've achieved a nice thick chunky mixture. Add the cheese and stir until it is melted and blended. Add half and half until you achieve the consistency you want. Season to taste.
Let sit ten minutes covered and then serve.
“Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.”
Isaiah 45:22

Goodreads name: Matt Braymiller
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Sounds tasty, but please tell me, what is "half and half"?

ETA Ah, should have googled it. It equates to what we call "half cream".

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

If you want something really easy, you can make a summery salad:

-cooked chickpeas
-one small red onion, finely chopped
-chopped fresh coriander

You have the option of mixing it with yoghurt, or vegan yoghurt if desired. It's simple to make and nice on a warm day.
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

I blog about simple vegetarian dishes a bit...

https://leftovervegetarian.wordpress.com/
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

Timothy Ferguson wrote:I blog about simple vegetarian dishes a bit...

Nice, but how do you keep your eggplant (Eggplant Hotpot) from 'melting' as you wait for the carrots to go tender? I tried to make a chunky tomato sauce with eggplant and bell peppers but that veg disappeared into a collection of black peels and goopy seeds. It was good but not terribly chunky. This recipe (saute fresh plum tomatoes, 1-2 sliced peppers, 1 chopped yellow onion, 2 cloves minced garlic, and diced eggplant in two Tbsp olive oil; season with no-salt Italian herbs and serve with pasta or on toasted Italian -- or Cuban -- bread) is also good with zucchini, btw.

Oh and that potato leek soup sounds yum, MBraymiller. 8-) I've made a variation of this sans leeks & white potatoes using Spanish (yellow) onions and sweet potatoes with carrots.
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

BellonaTimes wrote:
Timothy Ferguson wrote:I blog about simple vegetarian dishes a bit...

Nice, but how do you keep your eggplant (Eggplant Hotpot) from 'melting' as you wait for the carrots to go tender? I tried to make a chunky tomato sauce with eggplant and bell peppers but that veg disappeared into a collection of black peels and goopy seeds. It was good but not terribly chunky. This recipe (saute fresh plum tomatoes, 1-2 sliced peppers, 1 chopped yellow onion, 2 cloves minced garlic, and diced eggplant in two Tbsp olive oil; season with no-salt Italian herbs and serve with pasta or on toasted Italian -- or Cuban -- bread) is also good with zucchini, btw.
Eggplant naturally degenerates into mush. 8)

Ways around it:

* If you salt the eggplant and let it drain for half an hour, then wash the salt off, it gains a meatier texture and refuses to rehydrate. This was the classic way of preparing it back when the juices were bitter, before modern varieties hit the market. If making steaks, after you wash it off, baste it in soy sauce.
* Fry it with oil, which it will soak up like a sponge, which will keep the water out to some degree.
* Know that it's going to do that going in, and adjust your other ingredients accordingly. Carrots are woody, so they take ages to cook. That means you need either to make them into little cubes, or slice them thinly like a stir-fry, so that they cook through before the eggplant is done, or just do them first.
* Avoid rapid boil and vigorous stirring. The mechanical action of the bubbles shatters soft ingredients (like eggplant and silken tofu).
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales