[COMPLETE] History of Chemistry by Thomas Thomson - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AprilWalters

Post by AprilWalters »

I would like to claim Volume 1, Chapter 2 ("of the chemical knowledge possessed by the Ancients")- all parts. (sections #6-11 in magic window). Thank you!
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

AprilWalters wrote:I would like to claim Volume 1, Chapter 2 ("of the chemical knowledge possessed by the Ancients")- all parts. (sections #6-11 in magic window). Thank you!
Sections assigned.
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

janbbeck

Post by janbbeck »

Perfect Reading! Thank you very much!
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

janbbeck wrote:
You should have access to the MW. If all is okay with the recording, please change the status to PL OK.

Thanks!
janbbeck

Post by janbbeck »

Sienna wrote:
janbbeck wrote:
You should have access to the MW. If all is okay with the recording, please change the status to PL OK.

Thanks!
I can't figure out how to do this. Can you walk me through it, please?
AprilWalters

Post by AprilWalters »

I just want to let you know I have recorded my first 3 parts , but I need to edit them. Often I'm puzzling out a pronunciation of a latin word, sometimes it's an English word ("virulent") that trips me up, and I keep restarting while recording, so I know the editing will shrink them significantly.

So section 6 was 21 minutes, section 7 was 23 minutes, and section 8 is over 26 , BUT the final results for each will probably be more than a minute or two shorter...I don't remember how many times I restarted sentences . That may help with your time estimates. I also wanted to assure you that I am making progress!
AprilWalters
Not sure what I am doing with my life right now
Sorry for flaking out for 2016-2017.
AprilWalters

Post by AprilWalters »

Also, I am "reading" currency, so when numbers end with "L", that's "pounds", with "d" is pence. (I got this from looking up British Money) . All Latin & Greek are done with distant memories my middle school Latin and undergraduate ancient Greek - I try to just say things confidently, and I hope that carries me through. :)

Also, I'm only reading explanatory footnotes, not ones that are just giving citations.
AprilWalters
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

Thanks AprilWalters!
That is the key, just say it with confidence and authority. :wink:

You do not have to read the footnotes at all but if you think it is important, that is fine, too.

Thanks again!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Could I read chapter 6 of volume 2? That would make sections 64-66.

Just as a comment, it's your project, but I find it a bit hard to choose what to read :wink:
You could change the titles in the MW to something more exciting... I mean... descriptive?

For example: Vol. II, Ch. 6: Of the Atomic Theory.

You can change it at any time before cataloging if you choose to.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
AprilWalters

Post by AprilWalters »

I'm tempted to claim another chapter, the one on our "modern" knowledge (sections 67 & 68), to contrast with the ancients, but it will be delivered a little closer to 2 months in than 1, given my queue. (Also, how do you want the long tables handled, such as on pages 312-314? )

(My "ancients" sections are recorded, I just need to edit them before posting)

I agree with Availle, that while word-counts are great, it is an extra step for a topic many may not consider as exciting, to go to the text, check out chapter titles, and make a choice. But if people see chapter names right in the magic window, they may think "France -- I wonder what France was doing as far as chemical discoveries went" and thus sign on.
AprilWalters
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

Availle wrote:Could I read chapter 6 of volume 2? That would make sections 64-66.

Just as a comment, it's your project, but I find it a bit hard to choose what to read :wink:
You could change the titles in the MW to something more exciting... I mean... descriptive?

For example: Vol. II, Ch. 6: Of the Atomic Theory.

You can change it at any time before cataloging if you choose to.
Assigned!

Okay, I will add better titles!
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

AprilWalters wrote:I'm tempted to claim another chapter, the one on our "modern" knowledge (sections 67 & 68), to contrast with the ancients, but it will be delivered a little closer to 2 months in than 1, given my queue. (Also, how do you want the long tables handled, such as on pages 312-314? )

(My "ancients" sections are recorded, I just need to edit them before posting)

I agree with Availle, that while word-counts are great, it is an extra step for a topic many may not consider as exciting, to go to the text, check out chapter titles, and make a choice. But if people see chapter names right in the magic window, they may think "France -- I wonder what France was doing as far as chemical discoveries went" and thus sign on.
Assigned! You have 2 months. :wink:

For the tables, no need to read the column, e.g. atomic weight. Since the preceding sentence already describes what the table is. Just read the element and then the number/info.

I will add better titles.

Thanks!