group] On The Trail of the Immigrant by Edward Steiner-phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

On the Trail of The Immigrant by Edward Steiner (1866 - 1956).

And this project is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/on-the-trail-of-the-immigrant-by-edward-a-steiner/

Volunteers outside the USA: Edward Steiner died in 1956. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954).
How did the immigrants come to America? Who were they? Where did they come from? In this book, Edward Steiner tells of the experiences of immigrants from Hungry, Poland, Scandinavia, Germany, Italy and many other countries as they leave everything and board a boat to an unknown future. Steiner was born to a well-to-do Jewish-Slovak-Hungarian family in a Carpathian village, and was educated in Vienna and Heidelberg and immigrated to the United States in 1886. His later American experiences are quite incredible, precisely because it seems that he made every effort not to miss any of the steps of the immigration experiences; not only the familiar sweatshop saga of his fellow east European Jews, but also metal works in Pittsburgh; mining with Poles in Pennsylvania; cropping for the Amish; being Jailed for months for having been indirectly involved in a strike; getting trapped on a railway bridge as the train was running against him; being brutally mugged in Chicago; being shoved off a cattle train car in Ohio while on his way to becoming a rabbi in the East Coast; and finally, finding a warm Christian home in a small Mid-Western town with a pastor and his wife. He made many trips across the Atlantic in steerage with the new immigrants to be able to tell their stories accurately. Ultimately, in this environment, and under the continuing inspiration of Tolstoy, he became a Christian and a pastor himself, and ever active for progressive causes. This is an important book in the history of immigration. ( Phil chenevert)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40887
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of On the Trail of The Immigrant. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "On the Trail of The Immigrant, by Edward Steiner. [Chapter number and name]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter number and name]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of On the Trail of The Immigrant, by Edward Steiner. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      onthetrailoftheimmigrant_##_steiner_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. onthetrailoftheimmigrant_01_steiner_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags

Please ignore ID3 tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

Hi,

This looks like a really great book. May I DPL?

Thank you!
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

EstherbenSimonides wrote:Hi,

This looks like a really great book. May I DPL?

Thank you!
I would love to have you Esther. And I believe this book is very interesting and informative but you should know it may take awhile to get readers for all the chapters. Nevertheless, it will be a wonderful addition to our catalog AND we will both learn lots of new stuff about immigrtants! :thumbs:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Phil,

I think this author died in 1956 not 1932, so you should add the following notice to the top of your first post.

Volunteers outside the USA: Edward Steiner died in 1956. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954).
Jo
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:Hi Phil,

I think this author died in 1956 not 1932, so you should add the following notice to the top of your first post.

Yes, further research shows that is absolutely correct. Not sure where I got the earlier death date. Thanks and I'll add the disclaimer.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Hi Phil,

If you don't mind my Slavic accent, may I please claim sec. 12 and 13 :)
Thanks!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

karlkuzmich wrote:Hi Phil,

If you don't mind my Slavic accent, may I please claim sec. 12 and 13 :)
Thanks!
Well ... we don't accept no furriners here ... but will make an exception for you. Welcome Karl and you may certainly claim 12 and 13. (the accent will be perfect!!) :D
jeanie1914

Post by jeanie1914 »

Hi Phil, may I claim Section 25: Au Revoir? :)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

jeanie1914 wrote:Hi Phil, may I claim Section 25: Au Revoir? :)
Certainly Jeanie. Did your ancestors come over on the boats?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Moving this wonderful project to new lands.... er.... another forum; Readers wanted.. :D
jeanie1914

Post by jeanie1914 »

philchenevert wrote:Certainly Jeanie. Did your ancestors come over on the boats?
:D Yup. Seven sons and one daughter of Ireland (siblings they were), two of the seven brothers came over with their wives, one of the brothers made his home in Mississippi, but first all eight sailed to these shores. And, they were others that were here already. How about you Phil?
Little_Tee

Post by Little_Tee »

May I have section 1, please?
Romans 8:28 is still in the book, so I'm good to go...
Lt
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Little_Tee wrote:May I have section 1, please?
Yep. Section 1 is all yours. :D
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Phil,
I think we now have to append "_128kb" to the MP3 file names, is that right?
Please advise, I'll be uploading soon ... Russians are coming! 8-)
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

karlkuzmich wrote:Phil,
I think we now have to append "_128kb" to the MP3 file names, is that right?
Please advise, I'll be uploading soon ... Russians are coming! 8-)
Yes we do. I will amend the first post to reflect that. It isn't fatal or even serious if you don't add that, because I can fix it easily later, but it is good to be consistent. Thanks!