COMPLETE- Moral Letters by Seneca, Vol. I-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

fvogel wrote:Timoleon, I'm using Audacity already but was unaware of Checker--thanks for the link. I applied noise removal (thanks MaryAnn, for those parameters) and re-uploaded. I avoided as much noise as possible before recording and then didn't at first apply any noise removal since I was unsure whether I should remove noise if it's not very audible.

When I re-upload a file, should I delete the section notes in the Management Dashboard, as well as change their status to "Ready for PL"?

I'm looking forward to reading these as well. It will be my pleasure. And thank you, Timoleon, for PLing!
Sounds good. When you upload additional versions of the same file, the new one replaces the old one "automagically." And if you would like to update the MW please do. (You will still need to post in this thread so I am notified of something having happened.)
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

PL Report Sections #1, 2, and 3:

All three recordings have a high level of noise and "lip-smack" sounds

Also, Checker reports that there is a mismatch between the file name and the ID3 metadata: "The section number does not match the title ('02' versus '2')" And "The section number does not match the track number ('02' versus '2')"

Will you be able to resubmit these recordings?

The little I have heard so far makes me want to hear more. Your voice; tone, cadence, etc. I find pleasant and engaging and I really dig that you chose Seneca also 8-)
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

Thanks, Timoleon, for the PL. Is there any way I can remove lip smack noise automatically? Removing each them individually would be quite a task, as I seem to smack my lips with every breath. And my mic picks it up because I read pretty close to the mic to keep the volume low and avoid outside noise. I've tried not smacking my lips and breathing more quietly, but then I couldn't focus on reading.

And thanks--I'm glad I could find something worth reading that wouldn't be a duplicate version, and Seneca is more than worth it.
-Felipe
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

TimoleonWash wrote:Also, Checker reports that there is a mismatch between the file name and the ID3 metadata: "The section number does not match the title ('02' versus '2')" And "The section number does not match the track number ('02' versus '2')"
No need to worry about this . . . I'll correct the ID3 tags during cataloging (actually, I don't do anything, it happens automatically).

MaryAnn
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

fvogel wrote:Thanks, Timoleon, for the PL. Is there any way I can remove lip smack noise automatically? Removing each them individually would be quite a task, as I seem to smack my lips with every breath. And my mic picks it up because I read pretty close to the mic to keep the volume low and avoid outside noise. I've tried not smacking my lips and breathing more quietly, but then I couldn't focus on reading.
Dang fvogle, if you find out how to remove the lip-smacks 'automagically' please let me know. And I suspect many other LibriVoxers might like to know how also. There are various threads which discuss this but I don't remember which ones. There is a LibriVox guy, The LibriVox Guy, philchenevert, who may have some ideas for you. He also has a lot of great helpful YouTube videos available, many of them have to do with making the recording and editing process more efficient - quicker. As for me, I do spend quite a bit of time removing each lip-smack and breath sound. Oh well...
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Would a pop filter help on that? or maybe not . . .
MaryAnn
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

MaryAnn, I'm using a pop filter already (homemade--cost-effective but a surprisingly big hassle, at least for this non-DIY guy to make!). It helps with the plosives up close, but not vigorous lip smacks unfortunately.

Timoleon, I figured out a way to somewhat automate the de-noising (which may be common knowledge around here) by using two plugins: the De-Clicker and the Noise Gate. After lightly applying those two, I looked around for the few loud clicks remaining and applied a fade in so as not to create a "pop" noise where the breathing starts. Some noise remains, but softer. I re-uploaded Section 01. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
-Felipe
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Here are some videos regarding editing I found very helpful:

Audacity editing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKfcj9MZUsY&list=HL1403497895&feature=mh_lolz

AutoHotKeys utility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JXQvTS4We8&feature=youtu.be

Perhaps you will find them useful.
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

Thanks Timoleon, the Truncate Silence effect Phil used in the video will come in handy, as will AutoHotKeys. How do noise levels in the current Section 01 sound to you? As far as I could tell the lip smacks are gone, and the now-softened breathing sounds are, I hope, not distracting or annoying. Thanks.
-Felipe
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

fvogel wrote:Thanks Timoleon, the Truncate Silence effect Phil used in the video will come in handy, as will AutoHotKeys. How do noise levels in the current Section 01 sound to you? As far as I could tell the lip smacks are gone, and the now-softened breathing sounds are, I hope, not distracting or annoying. Thanks.
PL Report Section #1:

"Not distracting or annoying." I do not see how they could be because I did not hear any :thumbs:. I think your recording is superb. I like your gentle voice and the emotion it contains. Your diction is very clear and I can easily understand each word you utter. As I said, I did not notice any background noise or lip-smacks or any such thing although I did listen as closely as I could.

I would like to make one comment about the length of the silences between your words and sentences. I am familiar with some studies on the typical attention span of folks, and there seems to be a consensus that any pause of more than 1 second is suspect, and any pause of 2 seconds or more is vexing :idea:. Perhaps I am only saying this as I have been told I am impatient many times :hmm:.

Maybe you could solicit the opinion of others more qualified than I on this point :?:. For now I will list the PL report as "See notes." If you decide not to change the duration of the silences it is an easy matter for me to change the designation to "PL OK."

I am looking forward to your rendition of the remainder of the work. :D
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

Good point--now that the silence is actually silence, I didn't realize how long it is at some points. I took some of it out in 01 and 02 (about 15 seconds from each), removed noise in 02, and resubmitted both. I'll re-submit 01 tomorrow, and submit a new section. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. :)
-Felipe
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Bonehead here. I listened to Section #1, but updated the MW incorrectly by putting my PL Notes on Section #0, Intro. I confused it quite a bit did I not? Now I am not sure what you have ready for PLing or not. I will change the MW to reflect my PLing #1 and not #0.

Can you tell me which one you plan to re-submit and which two I can PL now? (sorry :oops:)
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

Sorry, that was my mistake entirely--I meant to say that I re-submitted 01 and 02, and today I'll resubmit 00, the Introduction. My brain doesn't do well with zeroes. :roll: Sorry about that.
-Felipe
fvogel

Post by fvogel »

Section 00 re-uploaded (de-noised and now 15:13, with less silence).
Section 03 (05:53) uploaded: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/morallettersvol1_03_seneca_128kb.mp3.
-Felipe
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

PL Report Sections #0, 1, 2, and 3: All A OK. It was a great listen, thank you. All previous stuff completely resolved. I look forward to more and I think your rendition is a good match for Seneca.