How close is your mic [Samson Go Mic]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
malcermie

Post by malcermie » June 9th, 2014, 12:42 pm

I have just started using a Samson Go Mic, I use it in the cardioid mode and was wondering how close to your mouth you use it. My study doesn't have many soft furnishings so can be a bit echoie.
Malcolm

ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham » June 9th, 2014, 3:42 pm

It was designed to clip to a laptop, so that would mean about 12 inches or less. I found that the closer, the better - because it picks up EVERYTHING, as you are undoubtedly discovering. I actually got the best results by clipping it to my headset, but it was a little too heavy for that - so I finally gave up and went back to my trusty headset. I toy with the idea of trying it again from time to time, though, because it IS a better sound.

Depending on where you record, you could try hanging blankets over your chair, or get some sort of screen to enclose your recording area. Hang tapestries, stuff like that. A lot of people record in the closet, with the clothes providing the proper sound dampening.
The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers. Ruth Benedict

Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema

My Page

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 10th, 2014, 6:31 am

I record at my desk, reading from the monitor, scrolling the text using my mouse that has a noiseless wheel. The microphone sits on the desk, in front and to the right of me, on its own box and two flat, about 1 inch thick, layers of polystyrene foam, and surrounded by a "booth" made from another foam piece bent around the mic and held in that shape by a piece of steel wire fashioned from a large paper clip. It's a flimsy attempt to make a portable recording sound-proof station. I actually plan on making a more permanent one eventually, for which I already purchased more convoluted foam...

These days I record when alone at home, and while the street is sometimes noisy (passing muscle cars, motorcycles, neighbours cutting grass, etc.) I manage somehow. I keep the microphone positioned at about 8 to 10 inches from my mouth and have the mic slider in Audacity set at ~0.6.

ETA: I use the cardioid setting (the up position of the small switch on the side). The omni, while giving warmer sound, doesn't seem to work well because the mic picks up some interference in that setting...
Last edited by tovarisch on June 10th, 2014, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

malcermie

Post by malcermie » June 10th, 2014, 10:37 am

Thanks for the advice, had a look on utube and seen several cheap ways to make a box, so it's down the shed and a trip to the diy store!!