[COMPLETE] The Mikado, Or The Town Of Titipu - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
david wales

Post by david wales »

The Mikado, Or The Town Of Titipu: A Solo Recitation by W. S. Gilbert (1836 - 1911).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/the-mikado-by-w-s-gilbert/

In this recording, one person reads the entire play, all parts, including the stage directions. Even without the support of Arthur Sullivan’s music and the interpretation of actors, the consummate silliness of Gilbert’s libretto entertains. The Mikado; or, The Town of Titipu is a comic opera in two acts, with music by Arthur Sullivan and libretto by W. S. Gilbert, their ninth of fourteen operatic collaborations. It opened on 14 March 1885, in London, where it ran at the Savoy Theatre for 672 performances, which was the second longest run for any work of musical theatre and one of the longest runs of any theatre piece up to that time. Before the end of 1885, it was estimated that, in Europe and America, at least 150 companies were producing the opera. The Mikado remains the most frequently performed Savoy Opera, and it is especially popular with amateur and school productions. The work has been translated into numerous languages and is one of the most frequently played musical theatre pieces in history. Setting the opera in Japan, an exotic locale far away from Britain, allowed Gilbert to satirise British politics and institutions more freely by disguising them as Japanese ( Wikipedia and david wales)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/808
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Mikado, Or The Town Of Titipu: A Solo Recitation. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Mikado, Or The Town Of Titipu: A Solo Recitation, by W. S. Gilbert. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "ACT [number] of The Mikado, Or The Town Of Titipu: A Solo Recitation by W. S. Gilbert. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Act [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Mikado, Or The Town Of Titipu: A Solo Recitation, by W. S. Gilbert. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename mikado_#_gilbert.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the section number (e.g. mikado_1_gilbert.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: availle - Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below
Peace, David
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Ah, somebody used the Magic Word "Japan" to summon me... At your service, master!

Give me a moment or two for the Magic Window please.

ETA: Okay, you're all set; I have severely shortened the filename as this is all we need; also this is a solo, so we don't need ID3 tags anymore - as long as you fill in the MW correctly :wink:

I have also deleted "A solo recitation" from the title for our catalog, I think what you say in the summary makes it clear to potential listeners what's in the package. You can still say it in the intro/outro though, I don't mind that.

Any questions? Post below ;-)
Have fun!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
david wales

Post by david wales »

Availle wrote: also this is a solo, so we don't need ID3 tags anymore - as long as you fill in the MW correctly

Hi Ava, Thank you, now we just need a dpl. Each file is only about 46 minutes long.

I think I must have missed something along the way. We no longer need ID3 tags? Those are the metadata boxes we filled in? No longer have to do those on a solo?

I've already recorded these files so the files have them. But for future reference...
Peace, David
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

During cataloging, the ID3 tags are automatically filled from the section titles in the MW and the author/title in the database, so they are not needed anymore. This is especially true for solos or group recordings of books. If it's a collection with multiple authors, there is a bit more to do on the BC side though, so many MC's only delete this info for solos and some group projects.

It does not matter whether your files have them when you upload them, you don't have to fill them in, but you are certainly allowed to do so. All my own files still contain the ID3 tags, it's part of my being able later on to find out what project I was reading for in case the filename is not obvious enough. I see it as Alzheimer's prevention... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
I'm interested in being your DPL for this project. :)

Thanks,
Betty
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi Betty, Great. Files have been uploaded. Enjoy!
Peace, David
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi Ava, Thanks for the clarification. Somehow I missed those changes.
Peace, David
david wales

Post by david wales »

Betty, Just had a thought (dangerous! :D ) Because the text of these plays is fairly hard to decipher, especially when there are simultaneous parts, I re-formatted the text to be able to read it more comfortably. Would you like to have that re-formatted text to pl? I'd be glad to send it.
Peace, David
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi

I've just PL'ed Act 1 and there's one spot you might or might not want to redo:

At 27:38
Heard “construed” for “misconstrued” in “She misconstrued my customary affability into expressions of affection,"

Let me know if you want to change that. Reading was super!

I didn't have much trouble following along with the Gutenberg text, so I'll just stick with that. :)

I'll get to Act 2 by tomorrow sometime.

Betty
david wales

Post by david wales »

Ah, my misconstruance of "construe" has now been construed properly as "misconstrue" and a corrected file has been uploaded.

duration 47.00

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/mikado_1_gilbert_128kb.mp3
Peace, David
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
Act 1 is now all set! :clap:

Betty
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi again,
I had time to PL Act 2 and the only glitch is in the intro. "This recording is in the public domain" or the longer disclaimer is missing from the intro.

Otherwise file is superb! I really enjoyed listening as I recently "discovered" Gilbert and Sullivan operettas.

Regards,
Betty
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sheesh, wait for the MC to catch up!

Let's move to going Solo even if it's just for an afternoon :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
david wales

Post by david wales »

corrected 2 uploaded -- wonder how I managed to omit that phrase!

46.26 duration

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/mikado_2_gilbert_128kb.mp3

I'm so glad you have enjoyed my reading of the Mikado; it was an experiment and I think it works. Gilbert and Sullivan are a taste I learned from my father and that has gladdened many an hour in my life. I plan to read Penzanze and Pinafore in the next 3 or 4 weeks. Maybe a few others -- I quite like The Gondoliers.
Peace, David
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
Act 2 is very PL OK now. :)

Great. I'll check the MW more often to know when you'll start your next G&S project. :D

Regards,
Betty