[COMPLETE] Ascent of Mount St. Elias by De Filippi - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Rapunzelina-

Daughter visited for a while and the garden was calling (it is summer in Alaska after all) so i got distracted. Daughter is off to Namibia and I'm worn out with garden work so took a break to get section 6 ready for PL. It is supposed to rain later this week so I may get more LV work done. We are way below our average rainfall so it would be welcome.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello Phil! or Fritz! or are they equally correct? :mrgreen:
It must have been a very pleasant distraction!
Section 06 is PL OK!
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Rapunzelina-

Equally correct :) Always nice to have the daughter home, but those days are becoming rarer. She's off on her own life.

At any road - section 7 is ready for PL.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

And Section 07 is PL OK!
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Section 08 ready for PL :)
Fritz

Trollope
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Rapunzelina-

Section 09 ready for PL - one more to go and it's a short one.
Fritz

Trollope
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Fritz!
In Section 8 I noticed a word substitution, but up to you to decided whether it's worth editing, at ~06:28 text is "between the smooth level plateaux." recorded as: beneath
In Section 9, this sounded a bit weird, but it gets the message across, so again up to you: at ~10:17 text is "as if through a window". recorded as: as though if through a window.

The "Ascent" was an exciting chapter! :D
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Rapunzelina-

I made the corrections for the errors you noted. We don't need anyone beneath the plateaux. I also made a change at the end of section 09 where I said "natives" instead of "Indians". I didn't record the time for the changes, but the ones you noted are at the same places and the one at the end of section 09 was at 24:56 in the original file and should be within a second or two on the most recent one. Track length for both files is the same as previously and they have been uploaded to Ava's folder.

I get enthused reading these accounts and think I need to do that, letting my mind get in front of my body. I camped at Cape Sitkagi at the face of the Malaspina Glacier years ago to watch raptor migration (almost 30 :shock:), but did not venture up onto the glacier. I don't have the knowledge or experience to do that safely or the physical capability to do it anymore. Mostly armchair adventures for me these days.
Fritz

Trollope
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Rapunzelina-

Last one, section 10 ready for PL :D
Fritz

Trollope
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Spot-check and PL: OK for all! This should be ready for the catalogue :clap:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Wow, well done, congratulations!

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-ascent-of-mount-st-elias-alaska-by-filippo-de-filippi/
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Wonderful! Thank you Rapunzelina and Ava for your most excellent help :thumbs:

If an illustration is needed for the cover, the original publication is full of many interesting photographs taken on the expedition. I might suggest the picture of the team on the summit opposite page 148. How they could accomplish this dressed like that I don't know. It looks more suitable for going to the market than wading through the snow at 18,000' in Alaska - felt hats and tweed sport coats without a sign of nylon or polar fleece anywhere. :roll: The camp on the Newton Glacier opposite page 126 is another good one. It is unfortunate that all of these 100+ photos can't be included somehow, one disadvantage of an audio file as opposed to the printed one.

A most enjoyable project - thank you both again!
Fritz

Trollope
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Actually, I have recently read that wool is a very good thing to wear in the cold: It is relatively light, contains lots of air (which aids in insulation), can absorb a high amount of moisture (read: sweat) and ... ahem ... doesn't smell as quickly as man-made fibres.

I bet those mountaineers of that time were still freezing a lot on their excursions, but, I guess modern ones do too?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Wool is better than most natural fibers, but compared to many synthetics it dries slowly, weighs more and isn't as wind resistant as tighter woven synthetics. As for the smell, I suspect that even their wool had a particular aroma after working hard for weeks on the ice fields. :shock: Filippi didn't complain much about the conditions on the mountain, but did note several times the chilling effect of the wind. I haven't seen any statistics, but wouldn't be surprised if there are more cold related injuries than other types for high altitude mountaineers.

Thank you to Annise for the cover! :clap:
Fritz

Trollope
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

They wouldn't have washed much on the climb - they would smell terrible I would think . I had a friend who spent some time in our base in Antarctica and said it was terrible on field trips not being able to shave or wash - heaven was getting back to base , showering and shaving off the beard and all the food scraps in it.

Glad you like the cover

Anne