[COMPLETE]The Coquette by Hannah Webster Foster - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wib66

Post by wib66 »

The Coquette; Or, The History of Eliza Wharton by Hannah Webster Foster (1758 - 1840).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-coquette-or-the-history-of-eliza-wharton-by-hannah-webster-foster/
The classic early American epistolary novel about the seduction and ruin of a passionate young woman. Based on the true story of Elizabeth Whitman, whose lonesome death in childbirth in a Connecticut inn sparked widespread discussion and outrage, the novel went through many editions and innumerable printings in the century after its initial publication in 1797. (Summary by Jon Miller)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12431
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Please note that this is written old fashioned English and the letter 's' a lot of the time looks like an 'f'. I find it is always best to read it first before attempting to record. The letters are very short so this shouldn't cause too many problems.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Coquette; This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Coquette; Or, The History of Eliza Wharton , by Hannah Webster Foster. [Section]" [number]

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section] [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Coquette; Or, The History of Eliza Wharton , by Hannah Webster Foster. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      coquette_##_foster_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. coquette_01_foster_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by wib66 on May 30th, 2014, 6:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Sorry can't resist a good story and claiming those poor orphans. I have changed the text to Gutenberg as the text used for the original thread was published in 1939.

I will be BC and DPL on this project.

Thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You're set up.

I left the sections in the MW the way they were; I'm pretty sure you can add more as needed (and I cannot "bulk add" them, so either you or I would be clicking the Add New Section button anyway).

Here's the summary that was in the database (different than the original). Would you prefer yours, or this one, or a combination?

The classic early American epistolary novel about the seduction and ruin of a passionate young woman. Based on the true story of Elizabeth Whitman, whose lonesome death in childbirth in a Connecticut inn sparked widespread discussion and outrage, the novel went through many editions and innumerable printings in the century after its initial publication in 1797. (Summary by Jon Miller)

I'm working on bringing over the existing files. I'll change the links and change them to Ready for PL when they're uploaded.

Umm... what else?

I changed the file name to shorten it. If I were doing this project, I'd have the intro say, "Section [number] of The Coquette. This is a LibriVox... librivox.org. The Coquette; Or, The History of Eliza Wharton , by Hannah Webster Foster. [Chapter]" (i.e. shorten the first instance of the title, then say the full title the second time. Also, say "section" instead of "chapter.") But this is all personal preference. And you may want to follow the lead of the soloist's files. :hmm:

OK, enough babble. Off to download and re-upload the files...
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
wib66

Post by wib66 »

TriciaG wrote:You're set up.

I left the sections in the MW the way they were; I'm pretty sure you can add more as needed (and I cannot "bulk add" them, so either you or I would be clicking the Add New Section button anyway).

Here's the summary that was in the database (different than the original). Would you prefer yours, or this one, or a combination?

I'm working on bringing over the existing files. I'll change the links and change them to Ready for PL when they're uploaded.

Umm... what else?

I changed the file name to shorten it. If I were doing this project, I'd have the intro say, "Section [number] of The Coquette. This is a LibriVox... librivox.org. The Coquette; Or, The History of Eliza Wharton , by Hannah Webster Foster. [Chapter]" (i.e. shorten the first instance of the title, then say the full title the second time. Also, say "section" instead of "chapter.") But this is all personal preference. And you may want to follow the lead of the soloist's files. :hmm:

OK, enough babble. Off to download and re-upload the files...
Thanks for all that information. I am going to change the summary as the original one is much better. Will just put their name if that's ok as they wrote it.

I was going to have each letter recorded individually but as they are very short this seems silly I may just reduce each section slighty as making them shorter may attract readers more easily. I will just add sections as I need them if necessary.

A shorter filename is always better. Thanks I always forget about that one.

Will change it to section.

I will follow your guidance with the introduction.
Thanks as always for your MC ing skills and all the guidance always a pleasure to work with you
Michele
damedumer

Post by damedumer »

I will take section 4 when you are ready to go! :-)
It's all wonderful!
wib66

Post by wib66 »

damedumer wrote:I will take section 4 when you are ready to go! :-)
I will sign you up thanks for claiming. :thumbs:
Michele
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Readers Wanted!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
wib66

Post by wib66 »

TriciaG wrote:Moving to Readers Wanted!
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Sections 1 2 and 3 are PL OK thanks
Michele
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

May I take Section 5? It will be my first recording.
wib66

Post by wib66 »

jenniferrd wrote:May I take Section 5? It will be my first recording.
thank you I will sign you up to that section MW updated
Michele
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Here it is! https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/coquette_05_foster_128kb.mp3

29:44.45 (m:ss.ss)

I hope it is okay, I had to switch microphones, and it was a bit of a challenge. Harder than I thought. ;)
wib66

Post by wib66 »

jenniferrd wrote:Here it is! https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/coquette_05_foster_128kb.mp3

I hope it is okay, I had to switch microphones, and it was a bit of a challenge. Harder than I thought. ;)
thank you for your section
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

wib66 wrote:
jenniferrd wrote:Here it is! https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/coquette_05_foster_128kb.mp3

thank you for your section
Hi the reading is great. However there is a hissing sound all the way through the recording. I have tried noise removal in Audacity but it does not seem to solve the problem. I am not 100% sure how to remove it or even if its possible. I do however have sensitive ears so I am going to post it in Listeners and Editors forum to see if someone else can give me a second opinion. Hope that's ok thanks
Michele
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

It might be, I was having a really hard time with the microphone I had. I now have a new one, so if I need to reread it, it's no biggie. :)

Edit: I know we aren't supposed to listen unless with are the BC or PL, but I just listened again, and I don't actually hear the noise. I did at first because I was plugged my headphones into my computer speakers, but with I plugged directly in my CPU, it stopped.