COMPLETE: Hagar's Daughter by Pauline E. Hopkins - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oh, Arie and Lucretia, if you don't mind, I've just finished recording Chapter 10 and am in the editing process. I thought I had claimed it but upon reviewing the posts, I hadn't. Not sure where my mind went. Let me know what ya'll want me to do.
msfry

Post by msfry »

lubee930 wrote:I don't know if you use Audacity to record or edit, but if so, then go to the top menu bar and click "View", then select "Show Clipping". Any instances of clipping in your track will then show up in red and are easily seen. For future recordings, you might reduce your input volume a smidge or else move back from the microphone just a bit.
I get it that if there is a lot of clipping in your recordings, you should back down on input volume. But if most everything is fine except for the bar room brawl scene where everyone is shouting and lots of clipping shows up, will compression take care of that?
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:Oh, Arie and Lucretia, if you don't mind, I've just finished recording Chapter 10 and am in the editing process. I thought I had claimed it but upon reviewing the posts, I hadn't. Not sure where my mind went. Let me know what ya'll want me to do.
Oh, dear, Michele. Well, I think that it is up to Arie. If she has not yet recorded Section 10 and would be willing to relinquish it to you, then we'll go that direction (and Arie can pick another section! 8-) ). But if she has recorded it already or would simply like to proceed as is, then we will happily use her recording--as she really did claim it.

So, Arie--it is up to you with respect to Section 10. And no pressure either way. Let us know, Arie, what you wish to do. Thanks! :)

ETA: Also sent a PM to Arie.
Last edited by lubee930 on November 13th, 2013, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:
lubee930 wrote:I don't know if you use Audacity to record or edit, but if so, then go to the top menu bar and click "View", then select "Show Clipping". Any instances of clipping in your track will then show up in red and are easily seen. For future recordings, you might reduce your input volume a smidge or else move back from the microphone just a bit.
I get it that if there is a lot of clipping in your recordings, you should back down on input volume. But if most everything is fine except for the bar room brawl scene where everyone is shouting and lots of clipping shows up, will compression take care of that?
I think, Michele, that you are on the right track. I think that compression is a good option in the situation that you've mentioned. It will reduce those spikes without making the remainder of the track too quiet. But I don't believe that it "fixes" the effects of clipping. So it is better to avoid the problem of clipping if possible--maybe by reducing the input volume or maybe by moving back from the mic a bit, especially in those louder, more dramatic scenes. :)

If I am incorrect, though, I would welcome input from our MC. I'm no expert on audio issues, for sure.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:Chapter 9 is uploaded for PL.
http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_09_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Run Time: 7:59
7.31 mb
Very nice once again, Michele! :)

Section 09: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia
VanOs12

Post by VanOs12 »

lubee930 wrote:
msfry wrote:Oh, Arie and Lucretia, if you don't mind, I've just finished recording Chapter 10 and am in the editing process.
Oh, dear, Michele. Well, I think that it is up to Arie. If she has not yet recorded Section 10 and would be willing to relinquish it to you, then we'll go that direction (and Arie can pick another section! 8-) ). But if she has recorded it already or would simply like to proceed as is, then we will happily use her recording--as she really did claim it.

So, Arie--it is up to you with respect to Section 10. And no pressure either way. Let us know, Arie, what you wish to do. Thanks! :)
Its cool if Michele takes section 10, I hadn't started recording yet. I can do section 12 instead. :)

Arie
Cheers
msfry

Post by msfry »

VanOs12 wrote:Its cool if Michele takes section 10, I hadn't started recording yet. I can do section 12 instead. :)

Arie
OK, I'm on Chapter 10. Thanks.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Yea! Thank you, Arie and Michele! :thumbs: MW updated to show Michele with Section 10, Arie with Sections 11 & 12.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
msfry

Post by msfry »

My hard drive crashed yesterday. The Geek Squad is trying to resurrect all my files. Meanwhile, I'm doing a work-around with my husband's old laptop, so I may be limping along for a few days . . . or weeks. I downloaded Audacity and Checker last night so I should be able to PL, record, etc., but Chapter 10 is locked up until I see if the almost completed file can be saved. If not, I'll do it again. I love that chapter!
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:My hard drive crashed yesterday. The Geek Squad is trying to resurrect all my files. Meanwhile, I'm doing a work-around with my husband's old laptop, so I may be limping along for a few days . . . or weeks. I downloaded Audacity and Checker last night so I should be able to PL, record, etc., but Chapter 10 is locked up until I see if the almost completed file can be saved. If not, I'll do it again. I love that chapter!
I'm so sorry! :cry: Michele, no hurry at all. We have a long way to go on this project. I hope that you don't have to re-record--good luck!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Thank you, Kristin! :) I will try to PL in the next day or so.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Lovely recording, Kristin--thank you! :clap: I have a couple of quick notes for you--

Section 05:
At ~0:04 and ~0:21 in the Intro part of the recording, you say the word "caste" as if it rhymes with haste or waste (and, indeed, it is spelled that way, isn't it?) But I believe that it should be pronounced with a short "ă" sound, like cast or past or last. Could you please edit the title in the Intro at those two places? Our crazy English spelling never makes it easy, does it! :roll:
At ~25:37 the text shows "Walker stepped to the mantel where the wax-light would fall full upon his face..."--but I hear "Walker stepped to the mantel where the lax-wight would fall full upon his face..."

That's it! This chapter is very dramatic, and you did a great job! When you've made the corrections and uploaded with the same file name, post here in the thread again. I'll take another quick look. Let me know if you have any questions. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

lubee930 wrote: Lovely recording, Kristin--thank you! :clap: I have a couple of quick notes for you--

Section 05:
At ~0:04 and ~0:21 in the Intro part of the recording, you say the word "caste" as if it rhymes with haste or waste (and, indeed, it is spelled that way, isn't it?) But I believe that it should be pronounced with a short "ă" sound, like cast or past or last. Could you please edit the title in the Intro at those two places? Our crazy English spelling never makes it easy, does it! :roll:
At ~25:37 the text shows "Walker stepped to the mantel where the wax-light would fall full upon his face..."--but I hear "Walker stepped to the mantel where the lax-wight would fall full upon his face..."

That's it! This chapter is very dramatic, and you did a great job! When you've made the corrections and uploaded with the same file name, post here in the thread again. I'll take another quick look. Let me know if you have any questions. :)
I'll get that fixed within the next couple days! Leave it to English to be difficult LOL
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Here's the new and improved Chapter 5. Run time roughly the same.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_05_hopkins_128kb.mp3