[COMPLETE] The Fate of Fenella, by Various (1892)-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

The Fate of Fenella, a novel by twenty-four authors (latest death 1938) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-fate-of-fenella-by-various/
One book, twenty-four authors ... Fenella is the beautiful, girlish and headstrong heroine of a sensational Victorian novel which continually passes from one writer's cliffhanger to another's resolution. Fenella, with her young son Ronny, is recuperating in a Harrogate hotel, where her flirtatious behaviour has already broken the heart of a fellow guest, a rising barrister. Her feelings at her estrangement from her young husband, who appears to be flaunting his manipulative French mistress to the world, are still running high. Impulsively, she strikes back with an invitation to the French count whose flirtation had fired her husband's jealousy. The stage is set for a crime in mysterious circumstances, bringing Fenella into a sorrowful womanhood, and changing the lives of those around her forever. Violence, misunderstanding, love, intrigue, kidnapping, disaster ... mystery, sensation, social commentary, wit and romance combine across continents as each writer takes up the story.

"The publishers claim with no little satisfaction that in this book they offer the reading public a genuine novelty. The idea of a novel written by twenty-four popular writers is certainly an original one. The ladies and gentlemen who have written The Fate of Fenella have done their work quite independently of each other. There has been collaboration but not consultation. As each one wrote a chapter it was passed on to the next, and so on until it reached the hands of Mr. F. Anstey, whose peculiar and delightful humor made him a fitting choice for bringing the story to a satisfactory close." (Summary by Loveday and the Publishers' note)

In keeping with the original collaborative nature of the work I hope that many different Librivoxers will lend their voices to a work which seems designed for group reading. Bonus points for spotting the continuity errors!
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://archive.org/details/fatefenellaanov00mathgoog or ask me for a Google doc if you prefer.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Fate of Fenella. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Fate of Fenella. Chapter [number], by [name of author]. [Chapter title, if applicable.]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Fate of Fenella, a novel by twenty-four authors. "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    fateoffenella_##_various.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. fateoffenella_01_various.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: [Author of the chapter] (birth-death) e.g. Joseph Hatton (1841-1907)
    Album: The Fate of Fenella

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Loveday on September 24th, 2013, 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

Here are the twenty-four authors:

01 - Helen Mathers (Helen Buckingham Reeves), 1853-1920
02 - Justin McCarthy MP, 1830-1912
03 - Frances Eleanor Trollope, 1835-1913
04 - Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930
05 - May Crommelin, 1850-1930
06 - F C Phillips (Francis Charles Phillips), 1849-1921
07 - "Rita" (Margaret Jane Gollan/Humphreys), 1856-1938
08 - Joseph Hatton, 1841-1907
09 - Mrs (Emily) Lovett Cameron, 1844-1921
10 - Bram Stoker, 1847-1912
11 - Florence Marryat, 1833-1899
12 - Frank Danby (Julia Frankau), 1859-1916
13 - Mrs Edward Kennard (Mary Kennard), 1850-1936
14 - Richard Dowling (Marcus Fall), 1846-1898
15 - Mrs Hungerford (Margaret Hungerford), 1855-1897
16 - Arthur à Beckett, 1844-1909
17 - Jean Middlemass, 1834-1919
18 - Clement Scott, 1841-1904
19 - Clo Graves, 1863-1932
20 - H W Lucy (Henry W Lucy), 1842-1924
21 - Adeline Sergeant, 1851-1904
22 - George Manville Fenn, 1831-1909
23 - "Tasma" (Jessie Catherine Couvreur) 1848-1897
24 - F Anstey, 1856-1934

From this I take the most recent death date as 1938 - thus in the PD for life+70 :D
It's the end of term, so I am back! Thank you for being patient with me, and please PM if I don't seem to have caught an update that I should have seen.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks for listing out all the authors! I'll MC this.

Is there really a need for Google Docs? You should be able to link directly to the section in the Archive book.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, all set.

I've added the birth/death year as needed in the author ID tag as well. This will help me immensely at cataloging (so I don't have to add them in myself). ;)
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

Wow! Thank you so much :9: This book is completely bonkers but rather fun because of it. I've seen it said that you could stand a spoon upright in the plot.

I'll fill out the MW after supper :)

Re the text - I'd seen some people use Google Docs for Archive books, so I wondered if it was something readers would expect. That saves some work then :) I'll edit the first post. People can always ask me for a doc if they want a format which is easier to print etc. The Archive text version is full of OCR errors, which kept popping up at the oddest moments when I was reading the book on my Kindle, and made it almost completely incomprehensible at the finale!
It's the end of term, so I am back! Thank you for being patient with me, and please PM if I don't seem to have caught an update that I should have seen.
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

Oh no! I can't access the MW, probably because I have a temporary username, which is sio10. I'm sorry - I should have said. Could you possibly do admin magic to let me in please?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I should have checked. You should now be able to get in. :)

Yeah, the text versions are only OCR'd and not proofed. I think links to the online version would work well, such as: http://archive.org/stream/fatefenellaanov00mathgoog#page/n14/mode/2up

The PDF is always available for readers, too. :)
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

Yay! I'm in! Thank you :D I may only be able to fill in a few entries tonight, but will finish tomorrow evening.

The mysteries of Archive! - thank you very much for the link example. I will definitely give it a shot :)

Where the author wrote under a pseudonym (like "Tasma"), should the reader put the author's actual name in the tags as well, or just the dates?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Whatever the book says for the writer, let's use that in the ID tags. So if Tasma is the pen name of the writer as used in the book, then Tasma it is.
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

Great, that makes perfect sense. I'll double-check the ones I've entered so far tomorrow.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Readers Wanted. :)
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

Great :D MW is all polished up and ready for claims :thumbs:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I be so crass as to grab two of the sections? Section 10 by Bram and 24 by Anstey?

(I will understand if you wish to have 24 different readers - in that case may I have just Section 24 please, so I don't have to wait to see how it ends?)

Thanks, Todd
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

I am delighted for you to read those sections Todd :D. I am not fussed about having 24 different readers but I guess it would be nice not to have two chapters together by the same reader, so as to retain in audio the patchwork feeling of the original :)

10 and 24 are a nice long way apart, so that's not a problem. I will assign them to you in the MW as soon as I get back to my computer this evening.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »