Do theatre students work well as volunteers?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
imelda1979

Post by imelda1979 »

Recently I learned that one of the theatre profs at the local university has past experience with recording a commercial audiobooks. I would like to get in contact with her about possibly getting some student volunteers who might like to do this for the experience and/or something to add to a resume. However, I don't want to do this if anyone here has had any negative experiences with college students as volunteers in the past.

I have not volunteered as a reader at this time, though I do appreciate the mission of this group because my boyfriend is dyslexic and relies more heavily on my rendition of textbook passages than the average person would.

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
kri

Post by kri »

imelda1979 wrote:Recently I learned that one of the theatre profs at the local university has past experience with recording a commercial audiobooks. I would like to get in contact with her about possibly getting some student volunteers who might like to do this for the experience and/or something to add to a resume. However, I don't want to do this if anyone here has had any negative experiences with college students as volunteers in the past.

I have not volunteered as a reader at this time, though I do appreciate the mission of this group because my boyfriend is dyslexic and relies more heavily on my rendition of textbook passages than the average person would.

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
We accept any volunteer (regardless of background) if they're reliable, pay attention to the conventions and requirements of some of the projects, and their recordings are comprehensible. We really are a pretty open group, and we've had volunteers from all ages/groups/etc (including young children!).
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hi Imelda,

You might feel more comfortable making the recommendation when you've done some recording yourself (if that's possible, equipment and time permitting) and can see how things work from the inside.

If you can bring in more readers, that'd be marvellous!

David