COMPLETE: Swann's Way by Marcel Proust - choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Swann's Way by Marcel Proust (Part 1 of In Search of Lost Time)
Translated by C.K. Scott-Moncrieff.

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/swanns-way-by-marcel-proust/

Wikipedia wrote:In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past is a semi-autobiographical novel in seven volumes by Marcel Proust. His most prominent work, it is popularly known for its extended length and the notion of involuntary memory, the most famous example being the "episode of the madeleine."

Begun in 1909, finished just before his death in 1922, and published in France between 1913 and 1927 the novel has had a pervasive influence on twentieth-century literature, whether because writers have sought to emulate it, or attempted to parody and discredit some of its traits. In it, Proust explores the themes of time, space, and memory, but the novel is above all a condensation of innumerable literary, structural, stylistic, and thematic possibilities.
Text:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7178

Magic Window:

BC Admin

BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox#org/forum/viewtopic#php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

At the beginning of each section say "Section ## of Swann's Way. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org."
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name]."
Say: "Swann's Way by Marcel Proust, Translated by C.K. Scott Moncrieff. Section ##"

At the end of the section, say: "End of section ##."
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name]."

At the end of the book, say in addition:
"End of Swann's Way by Marcel Proust."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

Save files as:
128 kbps MP3
swannsway_##_proust_128kb.mp3
(all lower-case) where ## is your section number.

ID3 V2 tags:

Title: 01 - [Name of section]
Artist: Marcel Proust
Album: Swann's Way

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage#

Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader. When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.

http://librivox.org/login/uploader

(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)
MC to select: chocoholic

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by DSayers on September 28th, 2010, 2:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

...are you MC'ing this yourself, or do you need some help on this one? Because I do rather love Proust. :)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hey Caet - you mean BCing, right? Denny knows how to use the BC admin, so if you set up the project and the reader list for him, I think he can manage the latter himself (post links to finished recordings etc)! Right, Denny?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

I didn't mean MC'ing...but I guess that means Denny isn't an MC? I get so confused about who is and who isn't. :P I guess that also means that I am MC'ing for this project. If Gesine assumes so, it must be so; such is the principle on which I build my life.

I'm going to go ahead and make 30 sections to start out with. We can add and subtract them as time goes on.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Gesine wrote:Hey Caet - you mean BCing, right? Denny knows how to use the BC admin, so if you set up the project and the reader list for him, I think he can manage the latter himself (post links to finished recordings etc)! Right, Denny?
Yep, MCing is beyond me ... I can hardly catalog my socks in pairs. But until the day comes when this one is catalogued, I've learned how to use uploaders and the reader database just fine.

By the way, should I use your uploader, Gesine, for this project?

-denny
Last edited by DSayers on November 29th, 2006, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Caet wrote:If Gesine assumes so, it must be so; such is the principle on which I build my life.
Aaaah. You are wise, and your life will go well. ;)
There is a list of MCs somewhere - I'll dig it out so you can add yourself.

Denny - yes, certainly. Do use my server if you like. I'll create a directory called "swann." It's here when you want to link to it: http://librivox.gesine.org/upload/swann/[filename]
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Denny, are you going to be able to do things like, say, adding "Listen To" links and such? Or rather -- what is there about the BC admin system that you do not yet know how to do? :) BTW, you are completely added into the "To Come" sections, and such as, so you should be good to go whenever. I am pretty excited about this one.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Caeristhiona wrote:Denny, are you going to be able to do things like, say, adding "Listen To" links and such? Or rather -- what is there about the BC admin system that you do not yet know how to do? :) BTW, you are completely added into the "To Come" sections, and such as, so you should be good to go whenever. I am pretty excited about this one.
After an initial struggle, I'm definitely adept at the database system ... what a great improvement from the previous approach!

Also, maybe you can offer some insight into the MCing end of things for me to learn from ... I might be able to lend a hand in future once I figure out that end of things.

And you're right ... what a great book by Proust and exquisite translation by Scott-Moncrieff! My favorite sections are the Overture and, of course, Swann in Love. It just struck me over the long holiday weekend that this was a huge gap in our catalog ... and that it would be a savory pleasure to fill it.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

DSayers wrote:After an initial struggle, I'm definitely adept at the database system ... what a great improvement from the previous approach!

Also, maybe you can offer some insight into the MCing end of things for me to learn from ... I might be able to lend a hand in future once I figure out that end of things.

And you're right ... what a great book by Proust and exquisite translation by Scott-Moncrieff! My favorite sections are the Overture and, of course, Swann in Love. It just struck me over the long holiday weekend that this was a huge gap in our catalog ... and that it would be a savory pleasure to fill it.
Wonderful. :) This makes it much, much easier for me. At this point, all the MC really does is add the project to the To Come page, which is just a quickie html edit job. The real work comes in the uploading to archive, from what I understand. But then again, i've not yet done that. I'm just a baby MC at this point.

I've not looked at the Scott-Moncrieff translation yet. But I picked up Swann's Way over the summer and fell completely in love! It was honestly the only book that could distract me from my Nabokov kick. I was about this close to doing it as a solo project, until I reflected that...well, I am a girl, and therefore not really ideal for a male-voice internal monologue.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Caeristhiona wrote:
DSayers wrote:After an initial struggle, I'm definitely adept at the database system ... what a great improvement from the previous approach!

Wonderful. :) This makes it much, much easier for me. At this point, all the MC really does is add the project to the To Come page, which is just a quickie html edit job. The real work comes in the uploading to archive, from what I understand. But then again, i've not yet done that. I'm just a baby MC at this point.

I've not looked at the Scott-Moncrieff translation yet. But I picked up Swann's Way over the summer and fell completely in love! It was honestly the only book that could distract me from my Nabokov kick. I was about this close to doing it as a solo project, until I reflected that...well, I am a girl, and therefore not really ideal for a male-voice internal monologue.
Hey, girls rule! But I agree that the gender behind the voice can make a difference. Reminds me of a few early (negative) reactions to my BCing Chopin's The Awakening with the Special Requirement that all readers should be female in this earliest of feminist novels from the United States. But the voice of reason, all women, carried the day!

The audio book was released today ... you'd really enjoy it, I'll wager.

http://librivox.org/the-awakening-by-kate-chopin/

-denny
Last edited by DSayers on November 28th, 2006, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

DSayers wrote:Hey, girls rule! But I agree that the gender behind the voice can make a difference. Reminds me of a few early reactions to my BCing Chopin's The Awakening with the Special Requirement that all readers should be female in this earliest of feminist novels from the United States.

The audio book was released today ... you'd really enjoy it, I'll wager.

http://librivox.org/the-awakening-by-kate-chopin/

-denny
Actually, I'm downloading it now... :) I just saw it 15 minutes ago when I logged on, and couldn't resist. I'm also wracking my brain for another girls-only (or boys-only) project to coordinate. Nothing too apparent comes to mind -- nothing in PD, that is. If only we could do a version of Lady Chatterly, I think I would die happy.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Caet: There are pd books out there, for sure, that meet the bill you're looking to fill. May I suggest Charlotte Perkins Gilman's _HERLAND_ (1915), a feminist utopian novel written by a fascinating author (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Perkins_Gilman)? Actually, any of her books/stories would be a boon for our catalog, and all need a woman's touch.

Hint: Her _Yellow Wallpaper_ is a short story PERFECT for any horror/ghost collection, and can only be read by a woman, in short choppy sentences ... lots of pregnant pauses. It's spooky, I mean ickily creepy ... imagine the storyline of _Rosemary's Baby_ filmed nine decades ago. An even better analogy is Polanski's movie _Repulsion_ (1965), less well-known but way scarier as hell. There are walls talking to you, FEELING you ... Gilman takes you to this brink.

At another end of the spectrum AND requiring female readers is the absolutely wonderful _The Spinster Book_ (1901) by Myrtle Reed (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/18071). It is a hoot ... a humorous very-tongue-in-cheek examination of how to handle men (simple creatures that we are, poor souls all). Kind of like Dorothy Parker, only 40 years earlier. Think of putting an article in Cosmopolitan in a TIME MACHINE and sending it to a wittier, more urbane and less jaded era for a re-write ...

I'm also BCing Myrtle Reed's recipe book, _How to Cook Fish_.

Speaking of Chatterly (pd in Australia, if we ever get a server there): I wish you'd been around when I BC'd Fanny Hill ... give that a listen! Three men took on chapters, and the other 6 are recorded by women (kayray did three). I've read several LV interviews where all of us literati/librarian professional types waited till the kids were tucked in to close the door -- and get busy recording an excellently written though awfully naughty (well, salacious actually) erotic novel. Hopefully, Lawrence's novel will come become pd in the US before long.

-denny
Last edited by DSayers on November 29th, 2006, 6:32 pm, edited 10 times in total.
kayray

Post by kayray »

DSayers wrote:
At another end of the spectrum AND requiring female readers is the absolutely wonderful _The Spinster Book_ (1901) by Myrtle Reed (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/18071). It is a hoot ... a humorous very-tongue-in-cheek examination of how to handle men (simple creatures that we are, poor souls all). Kind of like Dorothy Parker, only 40 years earlier. Think of putting an article in Cosmopolitan and sending it to a wittier, more urbane and less jaded era for a re-write ...
DROOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! Sign me up.

(btw -- I read Yellow Wallpaper in college -- creepy! And I saw Repulsion! I'd forgotten about that movie. Shudder. Meat. Thanks for reminding me ;-)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

kayray wrote:
DSayers wrote:
At another end of the spectrum AND requiring female readers is the absolutely wonderful _The Spinster Book_ (1901) by Myrtle Reed (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/18071). It is a hoot ... a humorous very-tongue-in-cheek examination of how to handle men (simple creatures that we are, poor souls all). Kind of like Dorothy Parker, only 40 years earlier. Think of putting an article in Cosmopolitan and sending it to a wittier, more urbane and less jaded era for a re-write ...

(btw -- I read Yellow Wallpaper in college -- creepy! And I saw Repulsion! I'd forgotten about that movie. Shudder. Meat. Thanks for reminding me ;-)
So you remember Catherine DeNeuve, right around the same time she made another wonderfully macabre film, Luis Buñuel's Belle du Jour?

I hope you or Caet or any woman jumps on _Yellow Wallpaper_. Sign up. It is, as you say, totally creepy ... and needs a listenership, but especially a feminine voice to read it.

As for _The Spinster Book_, all it needs is a BC. I did _Awakening_, but I think more of us need to sign up for gender-specific books to BC. I have more ideas after these.

-d
kristin

Post by kristin »

kayray wrote:
DSayers wrote:
I'm on it. It will be up tonight. Thanks Denny, great suggestion.