Words I fail at EVERY BLOODY time...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
J_N

Post by J_N »

ImageI am officially breaking up with those words... it's not me, it's them - definitely... *nods enthusiastically* (coincidently, that's one of the words on my list)

notwithstanding
sphere
numbers ending in th :evil:
psych... (I always remember too late that the p is silent)
enthusiastically
archbishop
etc.
etc.
etc.
I am now done with my tantrum Image- thank you and now I will return to editing (or possibly go to bed) Image
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

Believe me, you are not alone!

Mine are -
Eclaircissement - not a word you hear every day (but I seem to)

any two consecutive words that begin with 's'

Scots (or any other) accent written phoenetically

Patti
The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers. Ruth Benedict

Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema

My Page
catrose

Post by catrose »

You should listen to me trying to pronounce the German names in the Lulu plays! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Cori

Post by Cori »

"m-n" words. Anemone's particularly bad. I literally cannot say it right, and listeners will just have to suffer the mispronunciation.

Words with too many rs in awkward places such as 'proprietary', 'proprietor' etc. are also troublesome.

Finally, I get a Fear every time I have to read 'prostrate' that I'll actually say 'prostate'. I check 'em in editing probably a dozen times to be sure.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

My enemy word is "seufzte", "Seufzer" - "sigh"
I never get this right. *sigh*
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

something in french...
Like Monsieur...~!
*missyu, *massyure, *missure, ahhh.,,,MOhNZHURE! :mrgreen:
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
Petra

Post by Petra »

My nemesis words include the German "Hochzeit" and English "circumlocution" (I had about twenty occurrences of that in a Dickens article I read for the 200th Anniversary). In Swedish it's hard when a word has several syllables with different o/u sounds - I keep accidentally pronouncing them the same way, but they need to be distinct depending on where in the word they are (otherwise you sound Norwegian ;)).
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

My problem words are more basic - I have always seen ask as aks and have to think and reverse them when I am talking so I check my readings time after time to make sure none have slipped through - all the asks and tasks and masks and basks and baskets .......

Anne
J_N

Post by J_N »

love reading your posts, thank you :)

what I find quite difficult as well is, when the verb is pronounce different from the noun (and since I don't pre-read my texts - I never quite know which one it is going to be :roll:)

and don't get me started on French or Latin (or Names of people I have NEVER heard of...) - I'll just keep mangling those :twisted:

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I somehow get a problem with the word "information".... You can imagine how many takes I have for every intro!
"for more ifformation..." "for more infomation ..." "for more imfonation..." and it goes on and on :lol: :lol:
carolb

Post by carolb »

"little" and similar words. No matter how many warm up exercises or pints of water, I still have to go through all my recordings to snip out those annoying clicky spikes. :roll:

Carol
Cori

Post by Cori »

Oh my word, you're right Rapunzelina! "LibriVox" is on my list too ... tends to come out "libwivox" or even less similar.

I also have trouble with my name on bad days. Cori's fine ... but Samuel almost always gets a slurpy or clicky mouth-noise.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
carolb

Post by carolb »

Cori wrote:I also have trouble with my name...
Me too - most times! I've had my name long enough and used to be able to say it without even thinking, but now I find it such a weird combination to get my mouth around.

Carol
Ernst Pattynama

Post by Ernst Pattynama »

As a non-English speaker I have difficulties with simple words like 'water', 'nuclear', and a few more I cannot come up with right now...
We are never so ridiculous for the qualities we have as for those we pretend to.
J_N

Post by J_N »

carolb wrote:
Cori wrote:I also have trouble with my name...
Me too - most times! I've had my name long enough and used to be able to say it without even thinking, but now I find it such a weird combination to get my mouth around.
don't get me started :roll: imagine having a German name and pronouncing it English because you were just saying the Disclaimer... that results in a very weird sound... :shock: