{COMPLETE} The Alhambra: A Series by Washington Irving - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
david wales

Post by david wales »

The Alhambra: A Series Of Tales And Sketches Of The Moors And Spaniards by Washington Irving (1783 - 1859) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-alhambra-by-washington-irving/
This is a collection of essays, verbal sketches, and stories by Washington Irving. Irving lived at the Alhambra Palace while writing some of the material for his book. In 1828, Washington Irving traveled from Madrid, where he had been staying, to Granada, Spain. At first sight, he described it as "a most picturesque and beautiful city, situated in one of the loveliest landscapes that I have ever seen.” He immediately asked the then-governor of the historic Alhambra Palace as well as the archbishop of Granada for access to the palace, which was granted because of Irving's celebrity status. Aided by a 35-year old guide named Mateo Ximenes, Irving was inspired by his experience to write Tales of the Alhambra. Throughout his trip, he filled his notebooks and journals with descriptions and observations though he did not believe his writing would ever do it justice. He wrote, "How unworthy is my scribbling of the place." A commemorative plaque in Spanish at the Alhambra, reads "Washington Irving wrote his Tales of Alhambra in these rooms in 1829". The book was instrumental in reintroducing the Alhambra to Western audiences. (Summary by Wikipedia and David Wales)
  • Target completion date: 2012-Oct-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!):
    http://archive.org/details/alhambra02irvigoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Alhambra: A Series Of Tales And Sketches Of The Moors And Spaniards . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Alhambra: A Series Of Tales And Sketches Of The Moors And Spaniards , by Washington Irving . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Alhambra: A Series Of Tales And Sketches Of The Moors And Spaniards by Washington Irving . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Alhambra: A Series Of Tales And Sketches Of The Moors And Spaniards , by Washington Irving . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    alhambra_##_irving.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. alhambra_01_irving.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Washington Irving
    Album: The Alhambra: A Series Of Tales And Sketches Of The Moors And Spaniards

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: tg - TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by david wales on July 14th, 2012, 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peace, David
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do you have an MC lined up? If not, I'll do it. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am delighted you are going to do this.

My neighbor went there this year and said that having these (text) stories on her Kindle was a marvelous introduction to and companion at and remembrance afterwards of the place. Thus inspired I had just about finished prep'ing for a group read of this to eventually give her. I was having trouble with the setup cuz some of the very short sections are 1) too short on their own, 2) both epilogs to a preceding story and intro to subsequent story so hard to combine cleanly with just either preceding or subsequent. In a group setting where different voices would lose continuity this was getting annoying to plan. And then there were the too-long stories that I was trying to break up - I had 42 sections in my plan. (I was looking at the revised - by the author - edition at http://archive.org/stream/alhambra07irvi#page/n12/mode/1up that supposedly is a bit smoother than the original.)

As a solo none of this will be a problem - regardless where you put the breaks it will be you again speaking in the next section. Great!

(And with all the other irons in my fire I wasn't going to post anyhow until I got several other things done and that might have dragged on forever.)

Anywho, this is leading to me saying I'd be glad to DPL this for you!

Thanks, Todd
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi everyone, 31 chapters are not as intimidating as they might first appear. Most are short, about 6-7 pages. There are about 5 that are about 20 pages; these are the legends.
Peace, David
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi Tricia, Great! Thanks. Now we need a dpl...
Peace, David
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi Todd, Great to have you aboard as dpl. This reading is occasioned by a planned trip to Spain in November, so I am delighted to hear your friend's comment that this was enriching background. Will start recording in a day or so.
Great to have you both aboard.
Peace, David
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, you're set up. I shortened your file name, but otherwise all looked OK. :)
david wales

Post by david wales »

And here we go. This one was short and easy.

duration 2.11

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/alhambra_00_irving.mp3
Peace, David
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

david wales wrote:And here we go. This one was short and easy.

duration 2.11

David,

You do not have the End of Recording blurb ("End of Dedication", etc as you wish) at the end of recording. Otherwise fine - nice voice and I am going to really enjoy hearing you read this!

Thanks, Todd
david wales

Post by david wales »

eeeeiiiiiiyyyyyaaaaa!!!!!!!! duh!!

sorry for that

corrected file uploaded

duration 2.16

Sigh...
Peace, David
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

david wales wrote:eeeeiiiiiiyyyyyaaaaa!!!!!!!! duh!!

sorry for that

corrected file uploaded

duration 2.16

Sigh...
The version is still the old 2:11 version.

Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Going Solo...
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi Todd, So sorry!!! I most carefully corrected the audacity file and then forgot to export the corrected file. I'm not usually this ditzy. Will do better in the future.

By the way, living in Southern California, I know just enough Spanish to be dangerous and not enough to be really literate. So I will do the best I can with the Spanish words and phrases. I've found a pronouncing dictionary on line which should be a help.

Thanks for your patience.
Peace, David
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Dedication PL OK now!

I know no Spanish. (Or, sadly, any other language than English - in my Stones of Venice sections I found ghost-readers for the Italian and (old) French quotes.) If a Spanish quote sounds smooth it will pass my standard PL criteria. So if you really need to be sure that Spanish is correct then we'll need to enlist special help for those passages. I don't remember anything too long in the book and Irving seemed always to translate.

Note: after my neighbor came back from Alhambra I was thinking of going as well (trip now off) and optimistically put Spanish learning videos at the top of my Netflix queue. My neighbor then explained that Spain Castillian Spanish and Latin American Spanish (which she speaks as a native) have become two separate things to the ear. They may be read visually and comprehended alike, but they can't really be heard and understood the same. (From a tourist standpoint, her English worked fine there.)

Thanks, Todd
david wales

Post by david wales »

Peace, David