another one from SoCal

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
rootpi

Post by rootpi »

Hi all,

I figured since I've now actually made some recordings, I really ought to introduce myself. I found out about the site from an ultrarunning listserv that I subscribe to: someone said she loved downloading stories etc from LibriVox to listen to on her long runs. [some of the folks on that list routinely run for 6, 12, 24, or more hours!] I had always wanted to volunteer by reading books-on-tape for the blind, but never got around to it -- until now! This is fabulous.

I live in Pacific Palisades (part of West LA), enjoy running and mountaineering, and am a professor of economics / decision science. I am terrible at making decisions myself, which is apparently why I have to spend my life studying such things...

I also collect things, notably chess sets from around the world (I love to travel), and interesting ( = old or unusual or illustrated or foreign) editions of Edgar Allan Poe. My faves so far include first appearances of "The Raven" and "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" as well as an Armenian-language copy of Pym printed in Vienna in 1857. My latest is from Latvia, 1925. Some of the illustrated ones are great, as you can imagine with Poe.

Thanks to everyone who has put in so much time thus far in making this site the obvious success that it is. I look forward to being a part of it.

cheers,
julian
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

It's great to have you here, Julian - and to learn a little about you.

Everyone else - Look out for Julian's Old Norse reading in the Multilingual Poetry Collection 001. 'Tis wonderful.

Better than that, 'tis here:- http://www.studioae.com/LibriVox/multilingual_poetry_001/old_norse_voluspa_anonymous_jcj.mp3

David
KATWAL

Post by KATWAL »

Greetings Julian,
Glad you are aboard!

Katwal
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. M. Mead
rootpi

Post by rootpi »

btw, thanks!
I'm really enjoying it here :D
-julian
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Yay Julian, and welcome! Looking forward to listening to your recordings. :)

-Catharine, who doesn't run for even as much as 20 minutes, let alone 24 hours... good heavens!
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

ceastman wrote:Yay Julian, and welcome! Looking forward to listening to your recordings. :)

-Catharine, who doesn't run for even as much as 20 minutes, let alone 24 hours... good heavens!
Pop on over to Muir's Yosemite in Readers Found and give a listen to his chapters ... nothing like a mountaineer reading John Muir!

-denny