Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kitty wrote: September 26th, 2023, 12:58 am yes reading it all in my natural speed of course would be less work than reading it slower,
Sonia
Paul (or you) could try using the Tempo effect in Audacity to slow Sonia's recitation down -10 ir -20. (Be careful on this as the lower you go, the harder it is to restore the file back to the original, so best to work on a copy). Or, Paul could open your file and use the Play-At-Speed arrow to slow your reading down (if change of pitch doesn't distract too much).

I've been told that the soloist had to read it all themselves, or bill the project as a duet. Has that changed?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: September 26th, 2023, 7:34 am]Paul (or you) could try using the Tempo effect in Audacity to slow Sonia's recitation down -10 ir -20. (Be careful on this as the lower you go, the harder it is to restore the file back to the original, so best to work on a copy). Or, Paul could open your file and use the Play-At-Speed arrow to slow your reading down (if change of pitch doesn't distract too much).
I don't think it's the same than reading it slower to begin with though. I intonate clearer when I speak the words syllable by syllable, this is not something that will sound the same when you speed a fluently spoken word down.
I've been told that the soloist had to read it all themselves, or bill the project as a duet. Has that changed?
not if it is such a short insert like this to help out. It's true if there is one entire section or more done by another reader, or if they are doing a dramatic reading together in some chapters with a dialogue, then it's not a proper solo anymore and would be handled as collaborative. Happens for example when we rescue abandoned solos, they are then group projects. But here I'm only doing a small excerpt from a long section, and I don't even need a credit for that, so it is still for all intents and purposes a solo.

Sonia
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kitty wrote: September 26th, 2023, 8:03 am I'm only doing a small excerpt from a long section, and I don't even need a credit for that, so it is still for all intents and purposes a solo.
Sonia
This makes good sense to me, because it is very hard for a reader to sustain an accent for more than a sentence or two without slaughtering it, which listeners find offensive. It is fun, educational and challenging, though, to try imitating a foreign tongue for a few phrases. I've done that numerous times -- greek, french, italian, latin -- with help from the friendly and talented volunteers on this forum.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: September 26th, 2023, 9:00 amIt is fun, educational and challenging, though, to try imitating a foreign tongue for a few phrases. I've done that numerous times -- greek, french, italian, latin
I remembered your French and Italian, it wasn't bad at all.

And yes, emulating short sentences is quite feasible for most people, this excerpt here would stretch the limits though unless the reader is really comfortable with the language.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PaulWelford wrote: September 26th, 2023, 1:07 amLet’s go with you reading it then - thanks so much
actually I posted the finished file in your project thread, hope this helps. :)

Sonia
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Could someone guide me with these lines in French, please?

“Il faut d’abord rendre l’organe de
la vision analogue et semblable à
l’objet qu’il doit contempler.”

Maeterlinck.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Peter Why wrote: September 26th, 2023, 11:11 pm Could someone guide me with these lines in French, please?

Maeterlinck.

Peter
can record it this afternoon if no one gets to it earlier. :) reading slowly then, you want to speak the lines yourself, correct ?

Sonia
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Wow, that was quick! Yes, I'll make the final recording myself, so could you do a slow and an up-to-tempo recording, please?

Thank you, Sonia.

Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Peter Why wrote: September 26th, 2023, 11:11 pmCould someone guide me with these lines in French, please?
here is the soundfile: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french_for_peterwhy.mp3

and in case you need a translation to know what you're saying ;)

"You need first to make the organ of sight analogous and identical to the objet which it has to view." I was thinking quite some time now pondering what he actually meant by this :lol: but maybe it makes more sense to you in context.

If you wish I can check your version once it's done.

Sonia
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you, Sonia; how does this sound? I'm happy to rerecord.

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/French_Kitty_peterwhy.mp3

By the way, I really can't see how it's relevant to the story which follows.

Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Peter Why wrote: September 27th, 2023, 11:42 pmThank you, Sonia; how does this sound? I'm happy to rerecord.
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/French_Kitty_peterwhy.mp3
perfect :thumbs: no need to change anything, this is nicely understandable. Good job

Sonia
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Sonia, thank you very much.

Peter
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

PRONUNCIATION FEEDBACK

Could someone pls confirm or correct these pronunciations??
In many cases I have been unable to find a resource online that can provide a convincing pronunciation, if at all.

These all come from a book set in South America

Callapo - kah-YAHP-oh

Ysipuri - ee-see-POO-ree

Quichua - KEY-chew-ah

Aguinaldo - AH-gin-AHL-doe ("gin" not like alcohol, but the "g" in again)

Caimalebra - ka-EEM-ah-LAY-brah

Mapiri - mah-PEER-ee

Quechuas - KAY-chew-ahs

Aymarás - eye-mar-AHS
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If you're going for traditional Spanish pronunciation, then run any vowel pairs together rather than making them separate syllables.

Quichua - KEY-chwah

Aguinaldo - ah-ghee-NAL-do (similar to how you said, but the I is long)

Caimalebra - kaim-ah-LAY-brah (first syllable like "time" with a K)

Quechuas - KAY-chwahs

The others look good.

Am I 100% certain of these? No, if they're not actually Spanish but rather indigenous. ;) But if you pronounce them with authority, 95% of your listeners won't question it. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

JimmyO wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 8:16 am PRONUNCIATION FEEDBACK

Could someone pls confirm or correct these pronunciations??
In many cases I have been unable to find a resource online that can provide a convincing pronunciation, if at all.

These all come from a book set in South America

Callapo - kah-YAHP-oh

Ysipuri - ee-see-POO-ree

Quichua - KEY-chew-ah

Aguinaldo - AH-gin-AHL-doe ("gin" not like alcohol, but the "g" in again)

Caimalebra - ka-EEM-ah-LAY-brah

Mapiri - mah-PEER-ee

Quechuas - KAY-chew-ahs

Aymarás - eye-mar-AHS
Hi, I'd say it's ok if the parameter is Spanish. Be aware though that most of the above are words coming from indigenous languages, not Spanish.
Just one note, Quechua and Quichua are probably different spellings for the same people/culture.