Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Iunta4Ios wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 2:08 am... Ne son già morto; e ben ch’ albergo cangi,
resto in te vivo, ch’ or mi vedi e piangi,
se l’ un nell’altro amante si trasforma.

ed il significato è più o meno il seguente:
"Il mio destino vuole che prima del tempo io dorma in questa tomba, però non sono morto, e nonostante io abbia cambiato la mia dimora, resto vivo in te (che ora mi vedi nella tomba e piangi) se è vero che ogni amante si trasforma nel proprio amante"
so to help a bit more, maybe a translation into English could be added. It could be translated into:

I am not dead yet, even though I changed houses (hostels)
I remain alive in you, that sees me and cries
if the one lover transforms into the other

I hope I got the gist of it correctly.

Thank you Pier

Sonia
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Kitty and Pier, I will let you both know how it goes when I record this. Should be in a few days.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

I've just launched The White Conquerors: A Tale of Toltec and Aztec (viewtopic.php?t=97884). This English language book focuses on the Spanish and Tlaxcalan conquest of the Aztec Empire and is replete with Nahautl people and place names.

I anticipate that some narrators will request guidance for the proper pronunciation of unfamiliar Mesoamerican persons and places referenced in the book and I freely admit that I am not their best source for expert advice. I wonder if there may be LV volunteers who might feel comfortable in providing assistance.

In the project's first post I did include a reference to a site, http://www.native-languages.org/nahuatl_guide.htm, that I think is useful. But I find that sometimes there are volunteers who prefer to receive help from other volunteers within LV as opposed to outside sources. And, after all, it's a good way to meet others who enjoy the community nature of LV.

I am asking that anyone in LV who is familiar with Nahautl consider posting on the project's topic that they would be willing to help in response to questions received either by post on topic or via PM.

Thank you for your consideration.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
Fischer1483

Post by Fischer1483 »

Google failed me here. I need some pronunciation help. As with most Librivox projects, the author is long dead, so he's no help! How are the French words "tente d'abri" pronounced? Thanks!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Fischer1483 wrote: May 4th, 2023, 1:59 pmGoogle failed me here. I need some pronunciation help. As with most Librivox projects, the author is long dead, so he's no help! How are the French words "tente d'abri" pronounced? Thanks!
hello, sorry I cannot record for the moment. I'm always cautious with google translate, but I checked it now and I can confirm this sounds as authentic French as can be. You can safely take the pronunciation they are offering in a female voice there, it's correct French.

Just click on the loudspeaker icon in the French window to hear it: https://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT&sl=auto&tl=en&text=tente%20d%27abri&op=translate

Sonia
Fischer1483

Post by Fischer1483 »

Thank you very much!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kitty wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 2:17 am so to help a bit more, maybe a translation into English could be added. It could be translated into:

I am not dead yet, even though I changed houses (hostels)
I remain alive in you, that sees me and cries
if the one lover transforms into the other

I hope I got the gist of it correctly.

Thank you Pier

Sonia
Finally got the italian one recorded. Does your comment mean I am allowed to add an English translation after I quote the poem in the foreign tongue? IMHO, it would certainly add to the piece, because otherwise most listeners will have no idea what it means.

Here is my attempt. How did I do?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/28_italian_michele-pier.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: May 14th, 2023, 12:23 pmDoes your comment mean I am allowed to add an English translation after I quote the poem in the foreign tongue? IMHO, it would certainly add to the piece, because otherwise most listeners will have no idea what it means.
no actually, I replied that to Pier, that it would be helpful for you if you had the translation ;) we are not allowed to add anything to what the author wrote in the recording. But anyway, nowadays online translations are just a click away, for those who are interested.

I let Pier listen to your Italian version.

Sonia
msfry

Post by msfry »

If I copy this text from the book:
Ne son già morto; e ben ch’ albergo cangi,
resto in te vivo, ch’ or mi vedi e piangi,
se l’ un nell’altro amante si trasforma.

and paste it into Google Translate, it gives me:
I'm already dead; and although the hotel changes,
I remain alive in you, who now see me and cry,
if one into the other lover is transformed.

Translate.com gives me
I'm already dead; and well that 'hotel cangi,
I remain alive in thee, that you now see me and weep,
if one in the other lover is transformed.

The first one is clearer, for sure.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kitty, here is my French attempt. How did I do?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french_michele-kitty_29.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: May 15th, 2023, 2:23 pmKitty, here is my French attempt. How did I do?
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french_michele-kitty_29.mp3
:thumbs: yes, not bad at all, Michele. I think this can pass muster. Good that you read slowly and expressively, that way you optimize the understanding.

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Kitty wrote: May 14th, 2023, 12:37 pm
msfry wrote: May 14th, 2023, 12:23 pmDoes your comment mean I am allowed to add an English translation after I quote the poem in the foreign tongue? IMHO, it would certainly add to the piece, because otherwise most listeners will have no idea what it means.
no actually, I replied that to Pier, that it would be helpful for you if you had the translation ;) we are not allowed to add anything to what the author wrote in the recording. But anyway, nowadays online translations are just a click away, for those who are interested.

I let Pier listen to your Italian version.

Sonia
I listened and the reading in Italian for me is basically correct. Good work! :clap:
Pier
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you very much, Sonia and Pier.
These quotations will wind up my sections 28 and 29, and just about complete the group project, The Education of Uncle Paul.

I think I will discuss the Pronunciation help forum and technique, in the next 1st Mondays Zoom session. I'm always looking for content to record that might help some newbies down the road.

Thanks again. :9:
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Not a foreign language issue, but a proper name. I am prepping a book for recording and "Vauxhall Junction" has shown up, for a story set in London.

My inclination is to pronounce Vauxhall as "vox'll" with maybe just a hint of a vowel with the "'ll".
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm from London; I'd tend to pronounce it a bit more of the "hall". VOX-hall (with the "h" underemphasised, so it's more like "VOX-all")

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger