Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

too late...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

DrSpoke wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 8:27 am too late...
Ha ha! At least we're mostly in agreement. :mrgreen:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

DrSpoke wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 8:26 am

Hi, I'd say it's ok if the parameter is Spanish. Be aware though that most of the above are words coming from indigenous languages, not Spanish.
Just one note, Quechua and Quichua are probably different spellings for the same people/culture.
Awesome, thank you! Understood about the indigenous language. I inferred the connection between Quechua and Quichua, but the pronunciations are still unique, yes?

Again, much thx!!
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Anyone Greek?
How to say pyrois?

[What does ροή (roí̱) mean in Greek?

I gather it's flow as in pyrois = fire flow for describing the planet Mars. ]
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Ροή does mean flow, but I think the name Pyrois (in Greek Πυρόεις) etymologically comes from πυρ which means fire (πυρόω=to burn). Pyrois was one of the horses that drew the Chariot of Helios in Greek mythology. In Greek I would pronounce it as pee-RO-iss but I don't know if the pronunciation is different in English, in the anglicized version of the name.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 16th, 2023, 6:28 am Ροή does mean flow, but I think the name Pyrois (in Greek Πυρόεις) etymologically comes from πυρ which means fire (πυρόω=to burn). Pyrois was one of the horses that drew the Chariot of Helios in Greek mythology. In Greek I would pronounce it as pee-RO-iss but I don't know if the pronunciation is different in English, in the anglicized version of the name.
Thank you! :D
The most unlikely language that I encountered a long time ago was Serb-Croat; I used to watch football[soccer ugh] and a Serb Croat guy was often nearby shouting stuff out. :lol:
Many years later I asked some people what he was shouting and they told me that it was basically "have more finesse with the football" :D
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Latin:-
Could someone suggest a suitable pronunciation of "in coelo quies", please? All I could find online were apparent computer-generated "suggestions".

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Peter Why wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 12:58 am Latin:-
Could someone suggest a suitable pronunciation of "in coelo quies", please? All I could find online were apparent computer-generated "suggestions".

Peter
Hello Peter! I am glad to help with Latin anytime! The phrase means "in heaven, rest" (as in the dead who come to rest in heaven); in classical Latin it would be spelled "in caelo quies" but that "coelo" spelling is later Christian style.
So, that's a clue that you want Church-style pronunciation here, and there's a great guide to Church Latin here:
https://global.oup.com/us/companion.websites/9780190246778/student/church/

So your "in coelo quies" would be pronounced "in CHAY-lo KWEE-ays"
CHAY-lo rhymes with "halo"
KWEE-ays is KWEE like in "see" and ays like in "days"
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Just to chime in here that I can help with Latin (both classical and ecclesiastical), ancient Greek, Italian, and Polish. :-)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

That's great; thank you, Laura.
Peter
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I have a question about a location in England in Lady Chatterley's Lover: would "Tevershall" be "Tever-shall" (edit: i.e., "-shawl") or "Tevers-hall"?

I couldn't find a (non-bot) audio example on YouTube. I see that "Teversal" is a real place in Nottinghamshire, which makes me lean towards "Tevers-hall."
Last edited by Scarbo on February 3rd, 2024, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm English; if I saw this mentioned, I would expect it to be pronounced TEVER-shawl.

... which, come to think of it, is half way between your two possibilities!

Peter
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you, Peter! That's actually what I had in mind with the first option, but I should have spelled out the phonetic pronunciation more precisely, heh.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hi all! Needing some help with translation of passages for section 37 of this topic please! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90353. It's a chapter about (Anglo-Saxon Custom from the Viking or Northmen's Point of View).

I've attempted to use Google translate to figure out what language it is, but if I copy the whole section in, it comes back with Ewe, which looks to be an African language (and this chapter doesn't have anything to do with Africa). If I copy/paste a word in at a time, I'm getting that it's either Dutch or Welsh depending on the individual words. If I try a small phrase, it'll advise of either Dutch or Welsh, but usually the opposite of the individual words. Ugh!

There's actually 20 different pieces within this section that are all similar, but I've copied the first one below as an example. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Piece #1 (page 353):

And hi cwædon, gyf mon ofslægen wurðe, eal we letað efen dyrne, Engliscne ⁊ Denisce. ꝥ is to .viii. healf-marcum asodenes goldes. buton þam ceorle þe on gafol-lande sit ⁊ heora lysingon: þa syndon eac efen dyre. ægðer twa hund scyll::

And gyf man cynges þegen beteo man-slihtas. ⁊ he hine ladian durre. do he ꝥ mid xii cynges þegnas ⁊ gyf mon þone man betyhð þe bið læssa maga. ladie hine xi his gelicena ⁊ anum cyninges þegene.

English version:
And they ordained, if a man should be slain we estimate all equally dear, English and Danish, i.e. at viii half-marks of pure gold except the ceorl who sits on gafol land and their [the Danish] lysings, they also are equally dear, either at 200 scillings.

And if a man accuse a king’s thane of manslaying and he dare to clear himself, let him do that with 12 king’s thanes, and if any one accuse that man who is of less degree let him clear himself with 11 of his equals and with one king’s thane.
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Cbteddy wrote: February 25th, 2024, 8:28 pm Hi all! Needing some help with translation of passages for section 37 of this topic please! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90353. It's a chapter about (Anglo-Saxon Custom from the Viking or Northmen's Point of View).

I've attempted to use Google translate to figure out what language it is, but if I copy the whole section in, it comes back with Ewe, which looks to be an African language (and this chapter doesn't have anything to do with Africa). If I copy/paste a word in at a time, I'm getting that it's either Dutch or Welsh depending on the individual words. If I try a small phrase, it'll advise of either Dutch or Welsh, but usually the opposite of the individual words. Ugh!

There's actually 20 different pieces within this section that are all similar, but I've copied the first one below as an example. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Piece #1 (page 353):

And hi cwædon, gyf mon ofslægen wurðe, eal we letað efen dyrne, Engliscne ⁊ Denisce. ꝥ is to .viii. healf-marcum asodenes goldes. buton þam ceorle þe on gafol-lande sit ⁊ heora lysingon: þa syndon eac efen dyre. ægðer twa hund scyll::

And gyf man cynges þegen beteo man-slihtas. ⁊ he hine ladian durre. do he ꝥ mid xii cynges þegnas ⁊ gyf mon þone man betyhð þe bið læssa maga. ladie hine xi his gelicena ⁊ anum cyninges þegene.

English version:
And they ordained, if a man should be slain we estimate all equally dear, English and Danish, i.e. at viii half-marks of pure gold except the ceorl who sits on gafol land and their [the Danish] lysings, they also are equally dear, either at 200 scillings.

And if a man accuse a king’s thane of manslaying and he dare to clear himself, let him do that with 12 king’s thanes, and if any one accuse that man who is of less degree let him clear himself with 11 of his equals and with one king’s thane.
Hi Claire,
These passages are in Anglo-Saxon or Old English. From their date, I suggest that Late Old English. The table in the section on Orthography in the Wikipedia article provides the IPA transcription for the various letters and sounds. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English#Orthography). The character that isn't in that table is the Tironian et (⁊), which is said the same way as the Latin "et". Note that there are two characters here for "th" (ð and ꝥ). The article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronunciation_of_English_%E2%9F%A8th%E2%9F%A9 says that they were used interchangeably in Old English.

Hope that helps,
B
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.