Ante-Nicene Fathers

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KingsKid1938

Post by KingsKid1938 »

I would like to read these ten volumes if they are acceptable.
I have the text, but have no idea how to add them to the book list, or how to register as the book reader.
Can you help?
Last edited by KingsKid1938 on February 28th, 2012, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Is there an online version of the text? If so, please post link(s). (Try Archive.org and ccli.org first, if you don't have other leads on web sites with the text.)

If not, we have to make sure the version you're using is out of copyright. What is the copyright date on the volume you're using?

Ten volumes? This sounds like a HUGE undertaking.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Online text is here:

http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html/

The first 9 volumes only, as the tenth is just indices.

The first volume alone has 516.000 words (without indices, that is about another 22.000 words). Makes a cool 60 - 65 hours of finished recording.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yikes. The longest solo I've ever done is about 12 hours. :shock:

These would probably be good as a group project, but even then they will take years (literally) to complete. The 4 books of Calvin's "Institutes of the Christian Religion" (11, 14, 24, & 26 hours finished audio) took 2 1/4 years to complete.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Parts of the collection are already in the catalog, though, such as Justin Martyr's first and second apologies and Irenaeus' Against Heresies.

Of course, if someone would like to read it again, that's fine too. :) But, as a group project, it might be better to put up just what hasn't been done yet, I suppose.
Leni
=================
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

A huge undertaking indeed, but would perhaps a selection from the Ante Nicene fathers be a good way to start? Instead of all of them included in the first volume? Just a thought.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
justnacl

Post by justnacl »

If this gets going I would like to help read. Looking at the text I noticed that individual chapters tend to be short, there is just a lot of them.
gregh

Post by gregh »

I plan to do Justin Martyr's Dialogue with Trypho. that is my main focus of joining here and plan to do it solo. just so you guys know...
pmains

Post by pmains »

I just recorded "On the Creation of the World" by Victorinus. Now, I'm not sure what the tags at the beginning and the end should be given the monster title.

Do I say, "Ante Nicene Fathers Volume VII. Fathers of the Third and Fourth Centuries: Lactantius, Venantius, Asterius, Victorinus, Dionysius, Apostolic Teaching and Constitutions, Homily. Translated by Reverend Robert Ernest Wallis, PhD. On the Creation of the World by Victorinus" ? Or should I only list the particular portion I am reading, i.e. "On the Creation of the World" by Victorinus. This is also someone confused by the fact that the editors are not the same as the translator of the particular part I have recorded. I don't think the editors should be listed, but I don't want to fail to give attribution where it is due.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Are you recording this as a Solo or for a collection ? You really need to discuss it with the MC whichever way you are going

Anne