~ Bilingual - Poetry - Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam - ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Cleogirl

Post by Cleogirl »

Thanks for being the first to dive into the 'dumb question' bag, NoelBadrian! :roll: I wasn't at all sure how I was supposed to intro and outro either!

Just teasing, by the way: there ARE no dumb questions!

Cathy
Cleogirl
Cleogirl

Post by Cleogirl »

Mostafa, can you give me some guidance on the pronunciation of a few names? To whit:

the author: Khayyam
Kai Khosrau
Khizer
Muezzin

I've looked them up but with no luck

Thanks
Cleogirl
mostafa

Post by mostafa »

"Kh" denotes the voiceless velar fricative (like in the scottish loch) which does not exist in English anymore. In all cases you can pronounce it simply as "k."

So with that in mind, "khayyam" is pronounced like: "kay-yam" with the first "a" as in "bat" and the second similar to the "o" in "bronze." Note that there are two "y"s in the middle, though usually these words are not pronounced like that in English and you might want to pronounce it with one "y."

"Kai Khosrau" seems to be written like it was pronounced 1500 years ago! The way we pronounce it today is "kay" (like the girl's name in English), then "khos" (the "o" is like in "boy" but shorter) and finally "row" (more or less the same as it is pronounced in English).

I have no idea what "khizer" is. Perhaps the romanization is confusing, or perhaps it's just an archaic word. But what you should know about Persian pronunciation is that it's almost completely regular, so I can expect it's pronounced with a short i and a short e.

Muezzin is someone who recites the Adhan at mosques. The wikipedia page says how you can pronounce it. It's not exactly how we pronounce it in Persian, but I think that's how the word is usually pronounced in English.

This stuff is usually hard to explain by text, and I'm not a particularly good teacher anyway, so I hope I haven't confused you even more! If you're still not sure, I can record the pronunciations and send them to you.
Cleogirl

Post by Cleogirl »

Not at all confusing, Mostafa! Thanks very much for this.

Cathy
Cleogirl
ref

Post by ref »

Algy,

This may be a silly question but I assume you do not want us to read the number of the quatrain but rather read from one to the next continuously. Is that correct?
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

This is in the first post. Not sure when Algy will check in, so thought I'd let you know. :)

"After reading each quatrain Mostafa will leave a short pause and then state the number of the quatrain in English. Therefore the readers in English need only read the text of each quatrain and not the number. All readers are asked to leave a short gap between each quatrain to make the editing easier."
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
DublinGothic

Post by DublinGothic »

Hi,
Here is my recording of Section 13 (4).

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/rubaiyat_13_whinfield_english.mp3

32:29.

I gave two line readings for the second line of Quatrain 393,timed at 29:32 in the file.

"And spin life's woof..." seemed wrong,although word perfect,so I also recorded "spin life's wool..." which is heard first.

Bye,

Philip,
ref

Post by ref »

Darvinia wrote:This is in the first post. Not sure when Algy will check in, so thought I'd let you know. :)

"After reading each quatrain Mostafa will leave a short pause and then state the number of the quatrain in English. Therefore the readers in English need only read the text of each quatrain and not the number. All readers are asked to leave a short gap between each quatrain to make the editing easier."
Thank you Darvinia. Yes, it should have dawned on me to read the directions :roll:
DublinGothic

Post by DublinGothic »

Hi,
Re. Woof-the threads that cross the warp in a woven fabric.

I have recorded that quatrain properly this time,and corrected another mistake in No. 329.
File uploaded again.

32:24

Philip,
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi.
here is: Section 07 - Section 1: Quatrains 1 - 101 - English
Noel

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/rubaiyat_07_khayyam_whinfield_english.mp3
Duration 30:20
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Cleogirl

Post by Cleogirl »

Section 5 runs 22:19.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/rubaiyat_5_khayyam_whinfield_english.mp3

EDIT: I saw a reminder below in the thread that the range of quatrains is also to be recorded, so I've added that. Section 5 now runs 22:22. I was listening to it this morning and was sure I heard a repeated line but darned if I can find it now!

BTW, Algy, I'm curious to know how you knew my love for wine... what a perfectly appropriate secdtion for me to read! My sentiments about the grape entirely!

Cathy
Last edited by Cleogirl on February 4th, 2012, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cleogirl
ref

Post by ref »

Philip,

Your reading of section 4 was fantastic! Word perfect, most impressive :clap:

Definitely PL OK.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

NoelBadrian wrote:Hi.
here is: Section 07 - Section 1: Quatrains 1 - 101 - English
Noel

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/rubaiyat_07_khayyam_whinfield_english.mp3
Duration 30:20
Thank you Noel

A truly superb reading. :9:

Just some very small corrections required.

18:51
Quatrain 63
you read
Hearts witli the light of love illuminated well,
instead of:
Hearts witli the light of love illumined well,

22:22
Quatrain 75
you read:
But deems not that its essence ever dies,
Instead of:
But deem not that its essence ever dies,

22:53
Quatrain 77
you read:
Seems to clear wisdom's eye an enemy
instead of:
Seems to clear wisdom's eyes an enemy

Cheers

Algy
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by ref »

Philip,

Sorry, i forgot to mention one item...
At the end of the recording, you say "End of Section 4". You need to add section title "Quatrains 303 – 401".
DublinGothic

Post by DublinGothic »

Hi Rhonda,
Here is the file with "Quatrains 303-401" added to the ending.

32:31,

Thanks for listening.

Philip,