LibriVox Community Podcast #119: Poetry on LibriVox

Non-reading activities need your help too!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

ImageCalling all Poetry Performers/Readers/Listeners!! Image

LibriVox Community Podcast #119, scheduled to be released on Sunday, 11 December, will follow the theme of POETRY ON LIBRIVOX.

If you love poetry, love hearing it, love performing it, love reading it aloud ...
If you have recorded poetry, BC'd a book of poetry or a poetry collection ...
If you have some information to share about improving poetry performance, about a great poet, or about anything concerning the art of poetry ...
... then make your voice heard on the LibriVox Community Podcast!

Here is my current list of ideas for segments.
Feel free to alter or add to them.
Post here or PM me with any ideas or questions you have.
  • Reflections on the Weekly/Fortnightly Poetry
  • Origins of the Weekly/Fortnightly Poetry projects - I'm working on this myself, actually. But if anyone wants to work with me, please do!
  • Poetry Collections - a description or talk on experiences in BCing, MCing, or reading for more Ambitious Poetry Projects (Long Epic Poetry)
  • Current or Upcoming Poetry Projects - BCs, here's your chance to promote your latest project!
  • Favorite Poets - Do you think Emily Dickinson is the greatest poet ever? Tell us why.
  • Neglected but Worthy Poets - Do you think Francis Thompson just doesn't get anthologized or recorded enough? We want to hear about that.
  • Genres within poetry Do you prefer one or another - heroic, lyric, dramatic, narrative, nonsense? Speak up on that!
  • The challenge of performing poetry: How is performing/reading poetry/verse aloud different from performing prose?
  • WHY do you perform/read poetry on LibriVox? - simple, single answers or complex, multiple answers welcome
  • Tips on how to perform poetry (I have a bit I would like to do here on "rhapsodizing poetry" but others are welcome to add to this, too)
  • To Read or to Perform - Controversies in Creating Audio Poetry – “Straight” vs. “theatrical” styles
    Do you READ or do you PERFORM poetry? Does it make a difference to you?
  • Who are your favorite readers/performers of poetry and why? On LibriVox or professional/commercial.
Here's all you have to do:
Send audio (preferred) or a private message on any topic relating to poetry. You may also send promos, a statistics update, a report on new releases, public service announcements or other news items of interest to the LibriVox community. Upload your audio files to the 'cs - Cori' folder and post here or PM me the link and the duration. Please do your best to have them to me by December 9, or at least let me know you have something coming so I can prepare to have a space ready for it. Then absolute final deadline would be December 10 5pm EST (10pm GMT).

The LibriVox Community Podcast thrives on the chorus of voices from near and far across the the LibriVox universe. Add your voice to the chorus.
dove218

Post by dove218 »

would love to help
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi Bob

I've recorded 3 files for placing here and there, and I've done my best to manage the recording levels. In the last section particularly, I'm rather making a point about the readers' use of silence, so I hope the beautiful silences fit in with the overall scheme (especially the Eliot ones).

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast119_martingeeson_section1.mp3
Duration – 05:08
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast119_martingeeson_section2.mp3
Duration – 03:49
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast119_martingeeson_section3.mp3
Duration – 05:40

All the best
Martin
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

So little space, so much to say.
carolb

Post by carolb »

Here's my contribution at 3:50

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast119_cb.mp3

Now, Bob - this recording is in the public domain.
Please feel free to delete - lose - edit - whatever!

Best wishes

Carol Image
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Thank you so very much, Timothy, Martin, Lucy, and Carol!

Sorry I am so late in responding. I forgot to subscribe to the thread! :roll: Silly, absent-minded me.

Thanks for all the great material!

Bob
LenXZ1

Post by LenXZ1 »

Hi, Bob,

Here is my contribution. Feel free to use any, all, or none of it--whatever suits your needs. I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast119_llw.mp3
Duration: 7:08

Len
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

LibriVox Community Podcast #119 hosted by Bob Gonzalez (bobgon55)

Duration: 33m 47s.

http://www.archive.org/download/librivox_community_2011/librivox_community_podcast_119.mp3

Part One of a two-part series podcast on Performing Poetry on LibriVox.

With contributions from: Scott Werner, Lars Rolander, Lucy Perry. Carol Box, Piotrek81, Rhonda Federman, Timothy Ferguson, and TriciaG.

Bob Gonzalez, Introduction & Preview 00:00

Scott Werner, KZ88 – Thanks to LibriVox 01:09

Lars Rolander – Branching out into reading poetry, How to find new poetry 03:48

The Weekly Poem, November 11, 2005 "In Flanders Fields" by John McCrae 06:30

Lucy Perry on the Weekly Poetry & Excerpt from her favorite reader 08:24

Carol Box on her poetry experience & excerpts from Algy Pug and Leonard Wilson 12:59

Piotrek81 on reading poetry on LibriV 16:51

Rhonda Federman on her experience and thoughts on reading poetry 18:54

Bob Gonzalez on rhapsodes ancient and contemporary 20:15

Timothy Ferguson on an under-represented Australian poet 23:50

TriciaG – A blooper reel 28:24

Bob Gonzalez – Conclusion & Outro 32:26
Last edited by bobgon55 on December 11th, 2011, 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carolb

Post by carolb »

Well done Bob :clap:

I deleted an earlier post - couldn't find the podcast, which must have been there all the time. !t's been a long day!

Thank you for including my contribution.

Carol
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

carolb wrote:Well done Bob :clap:

I deleted an earlier post - couldn't find the podcast, which must have been there all the time. !t's been a long day!

Thank you for including my contribution.

Carol
Thanks, Carol! Your contribution would have been in either today or next week. I'm trying to keep the podcasts I host from being too long. I think between a bare minimum of 15 minutes and an absolute maximum of 45 minutes is best.

The podcast was uploaded to archive.org but the link to it was not posted yet. You were not going crazy.

How does one delete one's posts?

Bob
Last edited by bobgon55 on December 11th, 2011, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

One clicks on the X top right hand side
Or often you just need to edit it to say something else. If you delete it people have been told there is a new post - and are a bit confused sometimes

Anne
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

annise wrote:One clicks on the X top right hand side
:hmm: I don't have an "X" in the top right hand side. That may be because I have a Mac? or because I'm using Firefox? or something else.

Does anyone have any idea about this?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I have firefox - it is between the edit and the quote - and if Carol can do it it can't be a Mod thing

I have a vague memory of it only showing on your post until some one had answered but someone will know - I don't have a mac

Anne
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

On my view of the forum post, instead of the "x," I have that red exclamation point that is for reporting a post. How strange, right? That there should be this discrepancy in display.

Edited to add: oh, now I see the X" right next to the red exclamation point. Huh. I would say that maybe it is only there until someone else reads it, but I had seen the post that Carol made before she deleted it. :hmm: :hmm:

Maybe there is some kind of time limit for deleting a post? :hmm:

Bob