E. Phillips Oppenheim

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

E. Phillips Oppenheim is one of my favorite authors. Gutenberg.org has about 3 pages full of his titles in the PD... and LibriVox has only read 3 of them!

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search.html/?default_prefix=authors&sort_order=downloads&query=E.+Phillips+Oppenheim

I don't think I'm too interested in reading them for LibriVox myself, but I thought I'd add them to the Book Suggestions.
Cori

Post by Cori »

I knew his name rang a bell -- I post-processed his The Lost Ambassador for Distributed Proofreaders --> Gutenberg. I confess I don't remember much about it, but y'all're more than welcome to point and laugh if I left any typos in it!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

He was British and all his books are still in copyright over here, which at least explains why we on this side of the Atlantic haven't recorded any. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Oh, that's a shame! So is it in the PD in the U.S.?

I forgot to say that he usually wrote mysteries, political intrigue, thrillers, adventures, suspense, and a few romance.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

If the Gutenberg Bibrec page for the book says they are PD in the USA, that's fine. I imagine Gutenberg only has the ones that were published before 1923. It is always wise to check, as there are some books on PG that are copyrighted.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We've got an Oppenheim in progress, but it's more a romance/comedy than a thriller.

I'm trying to decide if I want to BC another one when I'm done with this one. If I do, is there a particular title people would prefer?

I see The Great Impersonation has its own Wikipedia page, so I could pull a summary from that. (It's also on Gutenberg.) From the sound of it, it's definitely different than The Amiable Charlatan!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

TriciaG wrote:We've got an Oppenheim in progress, but it's more a romance/comedy than a thriller.

I'm trying to decide if I want to BC another one when I'm done with this one. If I do, is there a particular title people would prefer?

I see The Great Impersonation has its own Wikipedia page, so I could pull a summary from that. (It's also on Gutenberg.) From the sound of it, it's definitely different than The Amiable Charlatan!
We have a very nice recording of The Great Impersonator and several other Oppenheims here already - I listened to them all while reading chapters for The Amiable Charlatan. I find it fascinating how very different each story is. Several of them became movies both silent and then talkies.

Why not assume we will do them all and just go alphabetical?

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I didn't even think of seeing what was already in the catalog! :roll:
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Here, here! If my attempts at accents didn't stink so much I'd do it myself! I struggled with the pdf of The Curious Quest (Ernest Bliss) on my eReader that made it awkward but it was worth it. If I could get a decent (physical) copy without a ton of trouble I'd drooooool. (And that one seems to have half a dozen different titles.) Heck, I'd buy that one on audio if it was available! (Heaven knows it would be rather pricey.)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Morlock wrote:Here, here! If my attempts at accents didn't stink so much I'd do it myself! I struggled with the pdf of The Curious Quest (Ernest Bliss) on my eReader that made it awkward but it was worth it. If I could get a decent (physical) copy without a ton of trouble I'd drooooool. (And that one seems to have half a dozen different titles.) Heck, I'd buy that one on audio if it was available! (Heaven knows it would be rather pricey.)
Physical copy of Curious Case - not a ton of trouble though at 11.54 plus 3.99 shipping it is a lot of money!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1434463273/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I stopped scrolling on the 15th page of Amazon listings for EPO - getting into the collectable hardcopy versions. Lotsa free books of his for Kindle though (I don't have one).

My suggestion post a few notes above about just starting recording at the beginning of the alphabetical listing of his works was not completely flippant.... Another option would be chronological; we could do those that turn 100 each year (what would we do about the 40 or so written before 1912?). That's still 3-4 books turning 100 each year - boy, this guy makes you feel like a bit of a slacker!

Hmmm - howsabout an All Oppenheim October? At our current rate of 3 books cataloged everyday we'd make a big dent in his novels - but then there are the 37 short story collections?

Humbled, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Forget paying. There are two versions of Curious Quest on Archive:
http://archive.org/search.php?query=curious%20quest%20oppenheim