Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Mine itches all through life, so yes, you are not alone! :lol:
I was at the dentist yesterday. It always itches there, especially when they're cleaning the top teeth. :mrgreen:<--(see clean teeth)
Every time they pause to change tools or get the water gun, I rub it!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

oh my gosh, getting the top teeth polished at the dentist is the WORST for drive-you-mad vibrations!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Don't you hate it, when you have a plan, you've already recorded the book, but then you look up the publication date and it's 1930 :? (It's currently on Legamus, but I thought about copying it here after re-doing the intros).
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Piotrek81 wrote: November 12th, 2023, 12:44 am Don't you hate it, when you have a plan, you've already recorded the book, but then you look up the publication date and it's 1930 :? (It's currently on Legamus, but I thought about copying it here after re-doing the intros).
Only 2 years, 1 month, 19 days more! :mrgreen:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I've just found another similar case :mrgreen: Except this one is PD for US, just not in Life+70 countries for 2 or 3 more years.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
txphred

Post by txphred »

Don't you hate roaches.

I use a small portable DVD player to listen to audio books in bed. It has a USB port: a thumb drive holds days worth of books.

My player started acting up and eventually went crazy; jumping from file to file in random books... After many years of listening to radio plays and books on tape at night - it's a real habit.

At midnight the decision for desperate action was made. Without repair manual, diagrams or schematics: I took the unit to my office and began disassembly. After removing the screws and loosening the case I grabbed it up and rushed it outside. Like some bad science fiction or horror story - roaches were poring out by the thousands! (Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but it seemed like at the time when they were crawling up my arms.)

Once it was on a glass table on the front porch and turned on the light, I opened it up. It was packed with little German roaches. I went inside put on a pair of jeans, grabbed some compressed gas and circuit board cleaner and went back out in the cold.

Skipping the disgusting details; after a couple of hours of work I got it cleaned up and put back together. With my fire extinguisher at hand - I turned in on. Just like in an old sci-fi thriller: IT WORKED. After nearly a week it is still working.

NOTE: Don't spray insecticide in electronic devices. It is very likely to damage.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, wow, I had a similar experience with Florida size roaches when we had to open up a wall, so I GET ITsuper impressed that you got it fixed!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ugh - NASTY!
txphred

Post by txphred »

Don't you hate it when you suspect that your mind has a mind of its own? I
have been listening to a LibriVox book with an interesting reader. I started
looking for other books read by Verius. It took too long for me realize it
was "various" not someone named "Verius". My mind had decided that the
Latin comparative neuter nominative of verus was more likely than various.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Don't you hate ... when you are reading the annotated version of an old Polish poem thinking about possibly recording it, you look up the notes searching for the explanation of a line full of archaisms, but the note focuses on one particular word leaving the rest of the line for you to decipher.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

So "leaf blowers starting up while I'm in the midst of recording" is a recurring topic on this thread, but.......8:15 AM????? Really, dude???? You can't wait until 9 to do your landscaping??? :evil: :evil: :evil:
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Don't you hate when you think about reading this one chapter for a collection, and then you see THIS (towards the bottom of the page) I can guess some of the covered words, but not all.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Piotrek81 wrote: December 31st, 2023, 2:50 am Don't you hate when you think about reading this one chapter for a collection, and then you see THIS (towards the bottom of the page) I can guess some of the covered words, but not all.
There's another edition on HT. Here you go: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015034364482&seq=19

:9:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

TriciaG wrote: December 31st, 2023, 6:15 am
Piotrek81 wrote: December 31st, 2023, 2:50 am Don't you hate when you think about reading this one chapter for a collection, and then you see THIS (towards the bottom of the page) I can guess some of the covered words, but not all.
There's another edition on HT. Here you go: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015034364482&seq=19

:9:
Thank you :) I think I'll celebrate the end of 2023 by recording it.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

. . . You clear your DR editing backup, you get through an intense work trip and enjoy the follow-on holiday visit, and arrive at the much-anticipated day when you could really dig your teeth into recording your solo that you adore, and WHAM-BAM!! Head cold hits you and gunks up your voice terribly. :?

Hot lemon water (no sugar, just toss a couple slices of a lemon in a mug and pour from the teapot over them) - and lots of it, is my personal best tactic for loosening all that tacky gunk and minimizing the rattle-y coughing that wreaks havoc on your vocal chords. Still takes a couple weeks to get recording voice back in hand. Any other favorite tactics?
~Lynette * -