Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

czandra wrote: February 21st, 2022, 5:34 am
or you get through chapter after chapter of a heavy ontology book, bravely wielding Old English, French, German, Latin, even Greek, then get to the end and find an entire passage of Dante's inferno waiting for you in the original Italian, which you do not speak. Sigh.

Cz
Yikes!
You do speak Old English, French, German, Latin, and Greek? I'm impressed...
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
czandra

Post by czandra »

I don't speak them all, but I can read them. For Greek, there was a whole paragraph I had to ask rapunzelina to read for me so I could parrot it back. To do the Dante, I listened to the LV recording of it in Italian (couldn't find the exact passage, though), just to get the cadence, which is half of speaking a language! We're still looking for one reader for "Les anciens canadiens", by the way! Last chapter.

Congrats on your book! I have a new one this month too, "Asking for Trouble," a book of tanka. Don't you just hate it when your publisher changes the cover art at the zero hour??

Czandra
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

paullawleyjones wrote: February 21st, 2022, 4:40 am
maxgal wrote: January 17th, 2022, 5:30 am
TriciaG wrote: January 16th, 2022, 6:25 pm

Nah - geeks hate that word being used for the internet, too. It was hijacked by marketers. ;)
I wonder if they like spam. ... spam spam spam spam, spam spam spam spam...
Yes, more than the Spanish Inquisition!
:lol:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm sure this has been mentioned before.

On my solo, I was recording chapter 6 when i ran into a conversation where Lucia's name is discussed. It's meant to be pronounced like Lucy-a. I did wonder at first how to pronounce it and went with Lu-CHEE-a. :? So now I get to go back and patch in edits on the previous 5 chapters.

That's what I get for not pre-reading my material, I guess. :roll:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
czandra

Post by czandra »

I had a similar thing, reading Lieu - tenant like a french speaker. Had to redo 4 chapters to read LOO- TENant because it was an American book. In Canada we read it Leftenant.... Nuts

What's the point in recording if you have to read it all first! :lol:
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
Gvbriel

Post by Gvbriel »

i hate when mispronounce a word when im reading and have to go back and fix it
Gvbriel

Post by Gvbriel »

it already took forever to learn how to edit
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I did it again. I read a 15-minute section aloud, but forgot to hit the record button.

Maybe it will sound better read a second time.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KevinS wrote: July 29th, 2022, 7:29 pm I did it again. I read a 15-minute section aloud, but forgot to hit the record button.

Funny, Phil was just talking about this very thing: viewtopic.php?p=2079678#p2079678
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:16 pm
KevinS wrote: July 29th, 2022, 7:29 pm I did it again. I read a 15-minute section aloud, but forgot to hit the record button.

Funny, Phil was just talking about this very thing: viewtopic.php?p=2079678#p2079678
I can learn a lot from Phil!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Can't we all?
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Don't you hate when...
You're just about to record and it's lunchtime :?
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

When Real Life gets insanely crazy so that you can't get to your LibriVox work for way too long??

Finally getting some semblance of normality, at least for a couple of days. . . :shock: :lol:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

DYH when the abandoned projects thread has 2 books that you'd like to adopt, but the linguistic aspects of the texts intimidate you? Specifically, I'm talking about "An Adventure", which is full of French (predictably, because it tells the story of an investigation into the French history delving into the orginal sources) and "English Literature: Its History and Its Significance for the Life of the English Speaking World", which has multiple examples of a really archaic language...
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Piotrek81 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:36 pm DYH when the abandoned projects thread has 2 books that you'd like to adopt, but the linguistic aspects of the texts intimidate you? Specifically, I'm talking about "An Adventure", which is full of French (predictably, because it tells the story of an investigation into the French history delving into the orginal sources) and "English Literature: Its History and Its Significance for the Life of the English Speaking World", which has multiple examples of a really archaic language...
Same. I did, in fact, take the plunge and claimed Dante's Divina Commedia, written ENTIRELY IN ITALIAN, a language of which I have minimal grasp. Hopefully it's similar enough to Spanish :? Any tips for us readers of languages which we are not fluent in? (BTW, is the archaic language Old English? Because it is SO neat!)
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌