Hello librivox

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
mishsmith

Post by mishsmith »

Hi there folks, so glad to be part of the team although I'm doubting I can devote the time in a completely quiet recording room like the wonderful Ms. Corie. All I can say is I have a desire to see this project flourish and even if I lack her prowess (and have a demanding four year old), I do hope to help when I can! I've been acting since I was young but never just voice acting so I think this should new a great new chapter. Been told that when I made training movies I was understandable so hoping that is the same our better for the audiences of librivox. Dragon thank you for the helpful links you posted on the previous intros, I promise to read them!
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello mishsmith,  
welcome to Librivox. I hope you will enjoy here.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Welcome mishsmith!

When I started here, I had three teenaged boys so getting a quiet place to record was a challenge. I found that when they were at school it helped. Of course you will have to wait till the little one is in school but that shouldn't limit you to volunteering here.

During the 'noisy' time of day, you could do some Proof listening. I started with proof listening as I wasn't sure I would like to record. (but now I love recording). Proof listening lets you get a 'sneak peak' at the up and coming books.

If you do plan on recording (Some use walk-in closets to dampen family noise), the place to start is the Newbie Guide to Recording, which tells you how to set up your computer to record. Of course, you may want to start out with Proof Listening. This will give you a better idea of how things get done here.

Once you've done that, I strongly recommend doing a short test recording in the Listeners & Editors Wanted section of the forums. This is NOT an audition, but a way to check to make sure all your technical settings are correct, your volume loud enough, etc.

Some neat video guides are available here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert

Have fun!

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
mishsmith

Post by mishsmith »

Thank you both, look forward to the adventure! I intend to test out and do what I can when he's in bed (or away) since I work during the day and Mommy's in demand when home :) Thanks for the links, advice and welcome.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Hey now here is a thought..... You could proof listen children's stories WITH your four year old. Children LOVE LibriVox. ;)

Many of the texts for children's books have pictures too.

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
mishsmith

Post by mishsmith »

Esther,
You have a great point! I very much like that idea.
Thanks
Mish