CLOSED Short Ghost and Horror Story Collection Vol. 014 - ba

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

Short Ghost and Horror Story Collection Vol. 014
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/short-ghost-and-horror-collection-014-by-various/
  1. How to submit a story, and 'how it all works' here
    Please select and record any short ghost or horror story in the public domain. Try to stick to works that run less than 60 minutes. There is no need to "sign-up" before recording... as long as the work is clearly in the public domain, just start recording. Multiple versions are always welcome, so don't worry whether someone else has recorded your selection already; we're happy to hear your version too. :)

A ghost or horror story should have something of an otherworldly or gruesome nature at its core. (Preferably, it should be nominally fictional, but there are enough 'true' ghost stories that they will be accepted into this collection as well.) Take a look at the various collections in this forum and decide which collection your story would work best in.

Please note that a lot of Lovecraft's work is still under copyright - there's a thread here that has an up-to-date list of confirmed PD stories.

Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which story you are submitting to the collection. Please include all this information:

• link to the text source
    • author name
    • title of the story
    • duration (runtime) of the file
    • if this is your first recording: how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal web site/blog.

Read points 5. to 7. below for what to do before, during and after your recording, and how to send your file.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    No. This collection will be open until it is full (20 stories have been submitted), at which point another one may be started.
  4. Where can I find horror and ghost stories?
    Two good sources for ghost and horror stories are Horrormasters and Literary Gothic. Of course there will also be bunches on http://www.gutenberg.org/

Previous Short Ghost and Horror Collections can be found here - duplicate versions are fine, though preferably not in the same volume.
  5. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  6. DURING recording:
    Leave no more than 0.5-1 second of silence at the beginning of your file.
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Story title] by [Author name]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "[Story title] by [Author name]."
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Story Title]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
  7. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit (optional).

The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    File Name: (lower case, separated by underscores):

ghohor014_shorttitleinoneword_author_readersinitials.mp3, e.g. ghohor014_roomintower_benson_ce.mp3

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

- Title/Name: [Story Title] (e.g. The Room in the Tower)
    - Artist: [Author Name] (e.g. E.F. Benson)
    - Album: LibriVox Short Ghost and Horror Story Collection Vol. 014

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ba - bart
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

The Wedding -Knell does have some glitches. It's possible an unedited file was uploaded by mistake Notes are:

At 1:17 After this sentence: “With such a place, though the tumult of the city rolls beneath its tower, one would be willing to connect some legendary interest."

This passage was skipped and is missing from the reading:
"The marriage might be considered as the result of an early engagement, though there had been two intermediate weddings on the lady's part, and forty years of celibacy on that of the gentleman. At sixty-five, Mr. Ellenwood was a shy, but not quite a secluded man; selfish, like all men who brood over their own hearts, yet manifesting on rare occasions a vein of generous sentiment; a scholar throughout life, though always an indolent one, because his studies had no definite object, either of public advantage or personal ambition; a gentleman, high bred and fastidiously delicate, yet sometimes requiring a considerable relaxation, in his behalf, of the common rules of society. In truth, there were so many anomalies in his character, and though shrinking with diseased sensibility from public notice, it had been his fatality so often to become the topic of the day, by some wild eccentricity of conduct, that people searched his lineage for an hereditary taint of insanity. But there was no need of this. His caprices had their origin in a mind that lacked the support of an engrossing purpose, and in feelings that preyed upon themselves for want of other food. If he were mad, it was the consequence, and not the cause, of an aimless and abortive life."

At 2:13 I heard “equanimy” for “equanimity” in “a philosopher, bearing troubles of the heart with equanimity,”
At 2:35 stumble/near repeat “and held her fast” in “she struggled with Time, and held fast her roses in spite of him,”

At 8:35 stumbles on “dedicated”: in “as if searching for the time-worn marble that she had dedicated to her first husband;”

At 9:11 stumble on “the death knell” in “Still the death-bell tolled so mournfully, that the sunshine seemed to fade in the air.”

At 13:08 Stumbles on “bedizened” in “Had I bedizened my aged and broken frame with scarlet and embroidery-“

At 16:04 repeat “aright” in “and a swell of exalted sentiment, in those who felt aright,”
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi there,
The Middle Toe of the Right Foot is PL OK!

Very well read. :)

Regards,
Betty
Barbydoll1206

Post by Barbydoll1206 »

I tried one. :shock:
URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ba/ghohor014_thedamnedthing_bierce_bem.mp3
Link to text read: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23172/23172-h/23172-h.htm
Author: Ambrose Bierce
Title of Story: The Damned Thing
Duration: 22:45
Read by: Barbara E. McCarthy
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

Hello Barbara,
Welcome to this project. Your recording sounds great.
Betty will proof listen.
I already saw (heard) one problem: at the start you have more than 2 seconds of silence. Betty will ask you to cut that down to less than 1 second. But before you do that, please wait for her, maybe there are other things you have to do.

Bart
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi there,
I'll be able to PL The Damned Thing, the new story tomorrow night or Saturday.

Betty
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I've now PL'ed The Damn Thing. Notes are:

As Bart noted, reader waits two seconds before speaking.

At 1:22 through stumble-repeat of “the dead man only was without expectation.” (reader caught error by saying stop several times but overlooked editing.)

At 2:05 another missed edit stumble repeat “and all that mysterious chorus of small sounds that seem always to have been but half heard when”

At 5:43 through 6:02 background noise bumping microphone accidentally?

At 6:59 reader says “end of chapter one, The Damned Thing, chapter 2”

At 13:51 reader says “end of chapter 2 The Damned Thing Chapter 3”

At 17:31 reader says “end of chapter 3 The Damned Thing Chapter 4”

(For these last three items I strongly recommend just saying Chapter 2 or which part it is. Less repetitive this way.)

The actual reading is very good and the glitches are small. :)

Regards,
Betty
Barbydoll1206

Post by Barbydoll1206 »

Betty,
Re: "The Damned Thing" corrections.
Barbara Here. sorry I sent the glitches still in it :cry: good grief! I fixed up each item mentioned. Also removed a few too-long pauses and clicks. I hope overall it has improved. Thanks for your help. Here is the repaired file URL:

URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ba/ghohor014_thedamnedthing_bierce_bem.mp3

Duration: 21:48
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi again,
I've rechecked The Damned Thing and there's one little edit you missed. Now at 6:32 if you'd like you could edit out "The Damned Thing" before you say chapter 2. Everything else is okay.

Thanks,
Betty
Barbydoll1206

Post by Barbydoll1206 »

last edit of The Damned Thing
read by Barbara McCarthy -- Barbydoll1206

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ba/ghohor014_thedamnedthing_bierce_bem.mp3

Duration: 21:41

I finally figured out my penchant for over-information". :oops: I have listened so far only to whole books, each chapter dictated by a different person. In those the info is given completely each time. But this is a short story by a single person. and the chapters are tiny ones. I had "rehearsed" the first scenario. I won't be as new ( :? ) soon. Thank you.
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi I just spot PL'ed the Damned Thing and it is now PL OK! :clap:

Great going, Barbara. Thanks!

Betty
beaglemixtape

Post by beaglemixtape »

I attempted a longer one this time and I know I've had a couple tongue twisters. Hopefully it won't be anything that's impossible to edit. If there are any major problems I'll need help step by step as I've never had to edit before. :oops:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ba/ghohor014_thewell_jacobs_mc.mp3

"The Well," by W.W. Jacobs.

Run time is 24:40.

Text source is http://www.classicreader.com/read.php/sid.6/bookid.2430/

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

--Michelle
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

Thank you Michelle!
winnie

Post by winnie »

ill vollunteer
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

That's great Winnie.
I see you've also volunteered in four other projects.
But did you do your testrecording yet?
You'll find all about it in the wiki:http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recordinghttp://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording
Have fun!

Bart