[COMPLETE] The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne - ni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Nerdanel

Post by Nerdanel »

The Mysterious Island, by Jules Verne (February 8, 1828 – March 24, 1905). [Translated by William Henry Giles Kingston (28 February 1814 - 5 August 1880)]

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-mysterious-island-by-jules-verne-2/
The book tells the adventures of five Americans on an uncharted island in the South Pacific. The story begins in the American Civil War, during the siege of Richmond, Virginia, the capital of the Confederate States of America. As famine and death ravage the city, five northern prisoners of war decide to escape by the unusual means of hijacking a balloon. The five are Cyrus Smith, a railroad engineer in the Union army (named Cyrus Harding in some English translations); his black manservant Neb (short for Nebuchadnezzar), who Verne repeatedly states is not a slave but an ex-slave who had been freed by Smith; the sailor Bonadventure Pencroff (who is addressed only by his surname, but his "Christian name", Bonadventure, is given to their boat; in other translations, he is also known as Pencroft); his protégé Harbert Brown (called Herbert in some translations), a young boy whom Pencroff raises as his own after the death of his father (Pencroff's former captain); and the journalist Gedéon Spilett (Gideon Spilett in English versions). The company is completed by Cyrus' dog 'Top'.

After flying in stormy weather for several days, the group crash-lands on a cliff-bound, volcanic, unknown (and fictitious) island. They name it "Lincoln Island" in honor of American President Abraham Lincoln. With the knowledge of the brilliant engineer Smith, the five are able to sustain themselves on the island, hoping that they will one day escape (Summary by Wikipedia)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 31 March 2011.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1268
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! This book has a dedicated prooflistener: elaineandsparky

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and readers (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

BC - please provide *all of* the following:
    [list]
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 62
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: no
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Verne
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysterious_Island
    [*]Short description: The book tells the adventures of five Americans on an uncharted island in the South Pacific. The story begins in the American Civil War, during the siege of Richmond, Virginia, the capital of the Confederate States of America. As famine and death ravage the city, five northern prisoners of war decide to escape by the unusual means of hijacking a balloon. The five are Cyrus Smith, a railroad engineer in the Union army (named Cyrus Harding in some English translations); his black manservant Neb (short for Nebuchadnezzar), who Verne repeatedly states is not a slave but an ex-slave who had been freed by Smith; the sailor Bonadventure Pencroff (who is addressed only by his surname, but his "Christian name", Bonadventure, is given to their boat; in other translations, he is also known as Pencroft); his protégé Harbert Brown (called Herbert in some translations), a young boy whom Pencroff raises as his own after the death of his father (Pencroff's former captain); and the journalist Gedéon Spilett (Gideon Spilett in English versions). The company is completed by Cyrus' dog 'Top'.

After flying in stormy weather for several days, the group crash-lands on a cliff-bound, volcanic, unknown (and fictitious) island. They name it "Lincoln Island" in honor of American President Abraham Lincoln. With the knowledge of the brilliant engineer Smith, the five are able to sustain themselves on the island, hoping that they will one day escape (Summary by Wikipedia)
    [*]Date of first publication: 1874
    [*]Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is death of author plus 50 or 70 years) 1905
=======================================================[/size]

[*]BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

[*]DURING recording:
Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number] of Volume [number] of The Mysterious Island. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    "The Mysterious Island, by Jules Verne. [Translated by William Henry Giles Kingston]. [Volume number, Chapter number]"
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Mysterious Island, by Jules Verne. [Translated by William Henry Giles Kingston]."
Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

[*]AFTER recording:
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
128 kbps MP3
titleinoneword_##_authorsurname.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. mysteriousisland_01_verne.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Volume and Chapter Number]
Artist: Jules Verne
Album: The Mysterious Island

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ni - neerajanagarajan
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Nerdanel on January 24th, 2012, 12:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
‘Oh, that won’t do!’ said Bilbo. ‘Books ought to have good endings. How would this do: and they all settled down and lived together happily ever after?’...
‘Ah!’ said Sam. ‘And where will they live? That’s what I often wonder.’
-The Fellowship of the Ring
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

My thought: We currently have two Jules Verne group projects running at this time, and just begun a week or two ago. You may have problems finding readers for this - Verne enthusiasts might be stretched thin between three projects.

I would recommend waiting until at least one of the other projects is recorded before starting another one.

This isn't a requirement, of course, but a recommendation.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Sounds like a mashup of Twenty-One Balloons and Robinson Crusoe. I'll read a chapter or two, or if it's a dramatic reading, I'm in if you give it a go.

In that case, I'd like to read for Gideon Spilett ... a dramatic reading would be great for a small cast! ... but not until the end of May for my recordings. Have to teach my pesky doctoral students!

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan »

Hey Nerdanel,

Sorry to throw a wet blanket on your project again, but Tricia's brought up a very valid concern. If there are three Verne projects, then you might have problems getting readers.
But that's the only challenge, so if you're still willing to carry on with this project, I'd like to MC it for you. :)
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I'm just wondering why we suddenly have so many Verne enthusiasts when the last one just dragged on and on...
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Nerdanel

Post by Nerdanel »

Okay, you guys have discouraged me a little bit, but I'd still like to go for it if at all possible. I want to read a lot of it myself but realize that I won't be able to get it all done - that's sort of why I wanted to do it as a group project. If you think it's not a good idea, though, then I won't.

Nerdanel
‘Oh, that won’t do!’ said Bilbo. ‘Books ought to have good endings. How would this do: and they all settled down and lived together happily ever after?’...
neerajanagarajan

That's awesome, then! It's not impossible to go ahead with it, we're just warning you that you might end up with a project that "drags on and on," like Nadine put it. I'm sorry you feel discouraged, we're just trying to make you see that your project might not get readers quickly. The decision is totally yours! :)
Let me know if you still want this set up.
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

I'm glad this is working out. :D

While there are two "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" LV projects still out there in English, one is solo, and the other is closed to unauthorized access from the LV catalogue page.

"Captain Hatteras, Part 1" is a solo, and "Journey to the Center of the Earth" which is a current Work-In-Progress was started a week ago. It will be the second version of "Journey" from LV. There are six LV versions of "Around the World in 80 Days," four in English, one in Dutch, another in French (that there's only one in French is surprising)! Other than these, the on-going projects are in Finnish, French and Indonesian. (But sometimes the catalogue hasn't been updated, so this could be wrong).

Looks like Jules Verne is a popular author on LV, a good companion for Jane Austen and Mark Twain, both of whom have multiple recordings for individual works. Mark Smith did an excellent solo of "Mysterious Island," and if the catalogue is correct, this project would be the first group effort to serve as a companion. :thumbs:

Let me know which chapters the BC wants to read, and I will sign up for some after that!

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
neerajanagarajan

Good point, Denny! Multiple versions are super-welcome at LibriVox, so if you want to do this project, don't feel discouraged, Nerdanel. You're welcome to BC this project! Just be ready to be a little patient in case the project is slow-moving. :)
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

So Neeru, are you MCing then? :D
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
neerajanagarajan

Yep, Nadine! I'm waiting to hear a confirmation from Nerdanel, and then I'll go about setting this project up. :)
Nerdanel

Post by Nerdanel »

neerajanagarajan wrote:Yep, Nadine! I'm waiting to hear a confirmation from Nerdanel, and then I'll go about setting this project up. :)
Thank you so much, Neeru! I appreciate it. I would love to give this book a second try. :)

Nerdanel
neerajanagarajan

Great, I'll set this project up in a couple of hours! :)
neerajanagarajan

The MW's up! We'll hang around here for a couple days and see if we get a DPL. :)
Nerdanel

Post by Nerdanel »

Thank you, Neeru! I should get the information in the MW up this evening. :)

Nerdanel