Please help me start

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
AliceinWonder

Post by AliceinWonder »

Hi, I have recently applied to be a reader but I'm not sure whether I can just choose something and start reading or if I must wait for your go-ahead. I live in Brazil and I am an official translator and interpreter. I love reading and also audiobooks, I listen to a lot of LibriVox recordings in bed at night, in the car, in the bank line... It's a really good way to enjoy yourself and pass the time and I would like to contribute by reading to other people. I would love to start with a short story or a book chapter and I can read in English, Portuguese and French. Any suggestions?

Thanks
AliceinWonder
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Alice

There are a number of what we call Multilingual Collections running that welcome contributions , there are Portugese , french and English projects - in fact anything in the readers wanted sections would love to see you , either in short works - short stories and poetry mainly or a chapter in a book so with those 3 languages practically anything is possible :D

We do have technical requirements for reading - no auditions but the files must be in the right format. The best way to make sure that everything is right before is to check out the newbies recording guide (in the Wiki link at top of every page ) and do a 1 minute trial run sound check - follow the uploading and posting in the guide , and someone will check it out.

Welcome to Librivox - and have fun :D

Anne
AliceinWonder

Post by AliceinWonder »

Thanks, I just found out I don't have the right type of microphone! As soon as I get one I will record a sound check and hopefully get started.

All the best,
Alice
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

AliceinWonder wrote:Thanks, I just found out I don't have the right type of microphone! As soon as I get one I will record a sound check and hopefully get started.

All the best,
Alice
Hello Alice

Welcome to Librivox

If you would like to do some on-line window shopping for microphones please check the following link:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb%20microphone&page=1

The Logitech model at the top of the page can be recommended: I have used one myself for several recordings.

Have fun

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by AliceinWonder »

Thanks for all your answers and your help. I am now sending my one-minute test and I hope someone will read it and give me feedback so I can get started.
Reeeeally excited about it!
Alice
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

AliceinWonder wrote:Thanks for all your answers and your help. I am now sending my one-minute test and I hope someone will read it and give me feedback so I can get started.
Reeeeally excited about it!
Alice

Hi Alice

I checked your test recording and noted the following points.

The recording was clear and free from noise, which is a great start. However, it was a little quiet: it is recommended that you increase the volume level but not to the level where the sound becomes distorted. Also the the recoding was uploaded as a wav. file: it needs to be converted to mp3. Sampling rate of 44100 was correct.

Your voice is very sweet and musical, and once these minor problems are addressed you should able to do some great recordings.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by AliceinWonder »

Thanks Ally, I will correct this and send in my first recording!
Alice :D
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Alice, it would be a good idea to post another test. Some people have a tough time getting the volume loud enough.

You can post it here. Please remember to copy/paste the link that the uploader spits out here when you post it.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

AliceinWonder wrote:Hi, I have recently applied to be a reader but I'm not sure whether I can just choose something and start reading or if I must wait for your go-ahead. I live in Brazil and I am an official translator and interpreter. I love reading and also audiobooks, I listen to a lot of LibriVox recordings in bed at night, in the car, in the bank line... It's a really good way to enjoy yourself and pass the time and I would like to contribute by reading to other people. I would love to start with a short story or a book chapter and I can read in English, Portuguese and French. Any suggestions?

Thanks
AliceinWonder
Hi Alice,

I noticed that you posted in the LibriVox Language Learning Collection, Vol. 003 thread. Feel free to contribute anything from a Portuguese, French or English language learning book, phrasebook, grammar or other language related selection.

Best wishes,
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Hi Alice

This project might interest you. You could contribute chapters in three languages.
http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31950

Also Sandra is looking for readers for the following very entertaining project:
http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31046

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page