COMPLETE: Short Science Fiction Collection 044 - gam

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Nerdanel

Post by Nerdanel »

All right, I've got the edits done. I hope it sounds okay now. :)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/gam/ssf044_disintegrationmachine_doyle_arv.mp3

Nerdanel
‘Oh, that won’t do!’ said Bilbo. ‘Books ought to have good endings. How would this do: and they all settled down and lived together happily ever after?’...
‘Ah!’ said Sam. ‘And where will they live? That’s what I often wonder.’
-The Fellowship of the Ring
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Wow, that was fast! Thanks, Nerdanel! :D

Bad news, I'm afraid. It appears that The Burning Bridge was indeed pulled from Gutenberg due to a copyright claim, so we won't be able to use Corinna's recording. I'll see if I can fill in that slot with a story from Short Sci-Fi 045 to make this a round 20. (If not, it can just be a round 19.)
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Bad news #2. We aren't going to be able to use the recording of Plato's Dream by Voltaire. The source text site includes this disclaimer:
WARNING: I have edited these works--abridging, modernizing spellings, Americanizing words, correcting errors, etc.--at my discretion. Thus the editions appearing in Free Sci-Fi Classics should not be considered "canonical" or "standard". Though I have endeavored not to alter meaning or intent, I claim copyright in the compilation and editing of these works and their illustrations.
The text is available at Gutenberg here but it is quite different than the text on the Wordsmith site.

I will ask the reader if she would like to re-record using the Gutenberg text.

edited to add: Uh oh, number 3. I am very sorry I didn't check the text before I PM'd you, Nerdanel, but The Disintegration Machine was published in 1928 or 1929 in the UK and is therefore very unlikely to be public domain in the US. (It is PD in the UK, and the text link is a UK site.) Unless you have any other information, we won't be able to use it either.
Laurie Anne
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

hi,
Section 19 "The Diamond Lens" is PL OK :clap:

Very well read!

Betty
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thank you, Betty!

I have moved two stories over from Short Sci-Fi 045 to replace the ones that had to be removed because of copyright. One is The Seed of the Toc-Toc Birds (in two parts), which is still awaiting PL'ing. Betty, no hurry at all; I'll catalog after you have had a chance to get to it.
Laurie Anne
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I checked the technical specs of Part 1 of "The Seed of the Toc-Toc Birds" does have a glitch
it has the wrong bit rate. it's currently 256.

Reading itself is very good.

I'll get to part 2 by tomorrow night.

Cheers,
Betty
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I've just PL'ed Part 2 of "The Seed of The Tic-Toc Birds" and the bit rate is again 256. Everything else is OK
Fine reading.

Cheers,
Betty
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Everything has been fixed up and cataloging is complete:
http://librivox.org/short-science-fiction-collection-044-by-various/

Thanks very much for helping this to the finish line, Betty! And thank you to all who contributed!
Laurie Anne