Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

to reiterate
Please don't pre-cast the roles. Wait until the project is set up.

Anne
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

victoriaalicebell wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 10:39 am To my knowledge there has only been one Anne of Green Gables DR. There have been many solos and a few group projects. What are everyone's thoughts on a second one? I'd happily BC it.

If this were to take place, I would like to take a larger role. Maybe Diana.
It is very uncommon for LibriVox to produce multiple DRs of the same text. I can only think of two times that it has ever happened. Coordinating a DR is a major undertaking, especially when it is of a whole novel, and there are so many texts that haven’t yet been recorded as DRs that most contributors would rather their energies go to expanding the number of DR titles in the catalogue. I love Anne of Green Gables, and I won’t stand in your way if your heart is set on coordinating a second DR of this text, but I would strongly encourage you to consider alternative texts. Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote many short stories that have not yet been recorded as DRs, and these would make great contributions to the catalogue. If you would rather coordinate a novel, Montgomery wrote a similar story to the Anne novels called Emily of New Moon that still isn’t in the catalogue as a DR:

https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/61236
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

Salvationist wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 5:15 am
victoriaalicebell wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 10:39 am To my knowledge there has only been one Anne of Green Gables DR. There have been many solos and a few group projects. What are everyone's thoughts on a second one? I'd happily BC it.

It is very uncommon for LibriVox to produce multiple DRs of the same text. I can only think of two times that it has ever happened. Coordinating a DR is a major undertaking, especially when it is of a whole novel, and there are so many texts that haven’t yet been recorded as DRs that most contributors would rather their energies go to expanding the number of DR titles in the catalogue. I love Anne of Green Gables, and I won’t stand in your way if your heart is set on coordinating a second DR of this text, but I would strongly encourage you to consider alternative texts. Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote many short stories that have not yet been recorded as DRs, and these would make great contributions to the catalogue. If you would rather coordinate a novel, Montgomery wrote a similar story to the Anne novels called Emily of New Moon that still isn’t in the catalogue as a DR:

I would, unless there are major objections, prefer to go on with it.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There are already 8 versions of Anne of Green Gables in our catalogue, both solo and group versions so I suspect any "choice of voice" may not contribute much to our prime directive. Each LV project is a team effort, even solos. So maybe contributing something that helps the prime directive would be better,

Anne
LilaMable

Post by LilaMable »

I can see that "Men Of Iron" by Howard Pyle is a work in progress right now. I was wondering if there are any plans for a dramatic reading of "The Merry Adventures Of Robin Hood"? This is by far his most popular book and the keystone beyond most modern Robin Hood retellings. Has this one been considered before?
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

LilaMable wrote: November 4th, 2023, 6:55 am I can see that "Men Of Iron" by Howard Pyle is a work in progress right now. I was wondering if there are any plans for a dramatic reading of "The Merry Adventures Of Robin Hood"? This is by far his most popular book and the keystone beyond most modern Robin Hood retellings. Has this one been considered before?
Thank you for this great suggestion, Lila! I would love to see a DR of The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood in the catalogue. Robin Hood is a particularly favourite character of mine. If anyone launches this project, I would be very glad to read one of the characters.
Salvationist

victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

LilaMable wrote: November 4th, 2023, 6:55 am I can see that "Men Of Iron" by Howard Pyle is a work in progress right now. I was wondering if there are any plans for a dramatic reading of "The Merry Adventures Of Robin Hood"? This is by far his most popular book and the keystone beyond most modern Robin Hood retellings. Has this one been considered before?
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood is PD. It hasn't been made into a DR although there is a collaborative version in the catalog.
And there is a DR of Robin Hood but it isn't by Pyle. Someone should start a DR of this. I'd happily contribute!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Pyle's Merry Adventures of Robin Hood would be a good one.

Neither I, nor Scott, would have a spot to run it (or narrate, or edit, or parts-PL) for at least a year. I'm sure Scott would love to address it if it is still around, but if someone picks it up in a more timely manner, both of us would contribute to roles. (He does have Ivanhoe on tap for when I finish detail-editing one of our DRs, and that one will run a good couple of years with its 44 chapters and gazillion roles.)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LilaMable

Post by LilaMable »

LCaulkins wrote: November 4th, 2023, 8:27 am Pyle's Merry Adventures of Robin Hood would be a good one.

Neither I, nor Scott, would have a spot to run it (or narrate, or edit, or parts-PL) for at least a year. I'm sure Scott would love to address it if it is still around, but if someone picks it up in a more timely manner, both of us would contribute to roles. (He does have Ivanhoe on tap for when I finish detail-editing one of our DRs, and that one will run a good couple of years with its 44 chapters and gazillion roles.)
I hope somebody picks it up, whether in a couple years or sooner!
And I'm definitely looking forward to Ivanhoe!
llamaart

Post by llamaart »

So, I currently started preparing a DR script for Kidnapped by Robert Lewis Stevenson and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in it once it was done! Just thought I'd throw this out there. The script probably won't be done for a while yet, but let me know what y'all think!!! :mrgreen:
In God I trust.
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

llamaart wrote: November 7th, 2023, 12:08 pm So, I currently started preparing a DR script for Kidnapped by Robert Lewis Stevenson and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in it once it was done! Just thought I'd throw this out there. The script probably won't be done for a while yet, but let me know what y'all think!!! :mrgreen:
That sounds awesome! I think you’ll get lots of interest when the time comes.
Salvationist

thecountess

Post by thecountess »

LCaulkins wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 6:51 am Update re: Ivanhoe DR -

I'm editing as fast as I can to open a spot for Scott to run Ivanhoe. Between the two of us we're almost finished proof-reading the scripts. It's a fun one. :) I think it'll be about a month for the opening to come up, and he'll launch it then!
Good! I will hopefully come along when it is launched and pick a part. :D
That is a wonderful book! I can't believe that nobody has made it into a DR! I would certainly love to contribute to it if someone did start it. :9:

~ The Countess
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

llamaart wrote: November 7th, 2023, 12:08 pm So, I currently started preparing a DR script for Kidnapped by Robert Lewis Stevenson and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in it once it was done! Just thought I'd throw this out there. The script probably won't be done for a while yet, but let me know what y'all think!!! :mrgreen:
If you go ahead with this I would be interested in reading the role of Uncle Ebenezer Balfour. I think I can do a reasonable Scottish accent. :lol:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
llamaart

Post by llamaart »

alanmapstone wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 10:08 am
If you go ahead with this I would be interested in reading the role of Uncle Ebenezer Balfour. I think I can do a reasonable Scottish accent. :lol:
:lol: That would be great! I think I will finish my current DR before starting this one though!

Happy Thanksgiving!
In God I trust.
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Salvationist wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 5:15 am

I personally would be happy to help with both! They’re terrific books and personal favorites.
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌