Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
benderca

Post by benderca »

Salvationist wrote: February 5th, 2022, 6:07 am
benderca wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 3:37 pm So these are the projects I have scripted and ready to go:

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
The Blue Castle by Lucy Maude Montgomery
The School at the Chalet by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
Heidis Lehr- und Wanderjahre von Johanna Spyri

I am currently editing The Great Gatsby, but would like to start one of these projects in the near future.
Wow! That’s quite the list, TJ! I have been excited about the DRs launching lately, and now I am excited about the ones that are pending launch! :)
I'm excited too, David! :D
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I would like to BC a Dramatic Reading of North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
I am looking for advice before starting this project. I know there are a couple of collaborative readings of North and South but I could not find a dramatic reading. I really would like to do this and would narrate and edit. Just wondering what people think.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4276
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just a reminder
Wives and Daughters took 7 years. :D
Are you sure you really want to ?

Anne
loon

Post by loon »

wib66 wrote: February 21st, 2022, 6:20 pm I would like to BC a Dramatic Reading of North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
I am looking for advice before starting this project. I know there are a couple of collaborative readings of North and South but I could not find a dramatic reading. I really would like to do this and would narrate and edit. Just wondering what people think.

At least two of Phil Chenevert's Zoom chats coverd Dramatic Readings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kSMEyqUQJc starting at about 22:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_j9-l5HgiI
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm confident Michele is more than capable of BCing dramatic works :D :D My comment was more on the advisability of attempting very large projects with large casts and a large what I call 3rd murderer roles. And a book that is less well known as well.

Anne
wib66

Post by wib66 »

annise wrote: February 21st, 2022, 7:55 pm I'm confident Michele is more than capable of BCing dramatic works :D :D My comment was more on the advisability of attempting very large projects with large casts and a large what I call 3rd murderer roles. And a book that is less well known as well.

Anne
Hi Anne I would love to do it and have been thinking about it for a long while. It is about 90,000 words less than wives and daughters[still a lot I know] but I feel if I am taking on the bulk of the reading with doing the narration it will hopefully be ok. I do hope that is ok.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

annise wrote: February 21st, 2022, 6:47 pm
Wives and Daughters took 7 years. :D

Anne
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

wib66 wrote: February 21st, 2022, 6:20 pm I would like to BC a Dramatic Reading of North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Ooh! If you are game for a long commitment, this would be a great one to have in the catalog. If it happens to catch interest and roles are filled, it could be a faster 1-year DR, but easily could stretch to 3 or 4.

Wives and Daughters was another 20-25% longer than North and South, and half of its overlong lifespan was due to dragging narrator contributions, first because of Elizabby's health limitations (it was her BC project, so that's alright), and then I picked up the remaining narration when she passed, but soon had major problems with my mother-in-law's terminal cancer, followed by serious Covid issues that killed my ability to record for another good 8 months or so. Without those extenuating circumstances, Wives and Daughters would have finished long before the 7 years it did stretch into.

Still, these large DRs can easily reach the 3 or 4 year mark before they finish. The biggest help in keeping them from stalling out is having a dedicated BC who's doing their own narrating. - And since you're wanting to narrate, if you're game for the potential time factor, all you need is an MC who doesn't mind sponsoring larger DRs.

P.S. - The behemoth of all DRs, Count of Monte Cristo, still in progress, is coming up on 8 years in a couple of months!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Woohoo! North and South is a great novel! I'd love to take on a role in this project once I finish some of the other roles I'm in the middle of. Kudos for taking it on, Michele! :D
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
wib66

Post by wib66 »

LCaulkins wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 10:28 am

Ooh! If you are game for a long commitment, this would be a great one to have in the catalog. If it happens to catch interest and roles are filled, it could be a faster 1-year DR, but easily could stretch to 3 or 4.

Wives and Daughters was another 20-25% longer than North and South, and half of its overlong lifespan was due to dragging narrator contributions, first because of Elizabby's health limitations (it was her BC project, so that's alright), and then I picked up the remaining narration when she passed, but soon had major problems with my mother-in-law's terminal cancer, followed by serious Covid issues that killed my ability to record for another good 8 months or so. Without those extenuating circumstances, Wives and Daughters would have finished long before the 7 years it did stretch into.

Still, these large DRs can easily reach the 3 or 4 year mark before they finish. The biggest help in keeping them from stalling out is having a dedicated BC who's doing their own narrating. - And since you're wanting to narrate, if you're game for the potential time factor, all you need is an MC who doesn't mind sponsoring larger DRs.

P.S. - The behemoth of all DRs, Count of Monte Cristo, still in progress, is coming up on 8 years in a couple of months!
I am going to do all the prep first then will probably launch in about a month once I have other projects finished. Glad to see there will be some interest. :clap: :clap:
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Salvationist wrote: February 24th, 2022, 5:42 pm Woohoo! North and South is a great novel! I'd love to take on a role in this project once I finish some of the other roles I'm in the middle of. Kudos for taking it on, Michele! :D
That would be brilliant :9:
Michele
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I have very much enjoyed BCing some plays and have decided to now do a DR. I am close to launching Where There’s a Will by Mary Roberts Rinehart. The book has a nice amount of dialogue and is a lot of fun. I’ve got the scripts nearly completed and everything organized on my end. I plan on narrating, PLing parts, and editing which means I’ll only need to find someone to do the final PLing. I'm working on finishing up a couple of larger projects I'm involved in and then I'll get this going!

Here is the link to the text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/330

And a summary:
Minnie Waters has been running the Hope Springs Sanatorium for many years with her father, Doctor Waters, when he suddenly passes away. The ownership of Hope Springs hangs in the balance when the will states the Doctor’s good-for-nothing grandson will inherit the resort but he is nowhere to be found. Minnie must try to save the spa and adhere to the strict demands of the will with the help of family, friends, and actors. While this book is not a typical mystery story, it is full of comedy, shenanigans, intrigue, and deception that is sure to keep readers entertained and wondering what will happen next!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
wib66

Post by wib66 »

jennlea wrote: March 24th, 2022, 7:14 am I have very much enjoyed BCing some plays and have decided to now do a DR. I am close to launching Where There’s a Will by Mary Roberts Rinehart. The book has a nice amount of dialogue and is a lot of fun. I’ve got the scripts nearly completed and everything organized on my end. I plan on narrating, PLing parts, and editing which means I’ll only need to find someone to do the final PLing. I'm working on finishing up a couple of larger projects I'm involved in and then I'll get this going!

Here is the link to the text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/330

And a summary:
Minnie Waters has been running the Hope Springs Sanatorium for many years with her father, Doctor Waters, when he suddenly passes away. The ownership of Hope Springs hangs in the balance when the will states the Doctor’s good-for-nothing grandson will inherit the resort but he is nowhere to be found. Minnie must try to save the spa and adhere to the strict demands of the will with the help of family, friends, and actors. While this book is not a typical mystery story, it is full of comedy, shenanigans, intrigue, and deception that is sure to keep readers entertained and wondering what will happen next!
I would be happy to do the final PL ing for you
Michele
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

wib66 wrote: March 25th, 2022, 2:23 pm
jennlea wrote: March 24th, 2022, 7:14 am I have very much enjoyed BCing some plays and have decided to now do a DR. I am close to launching Where There’s a Will by Mary Roberts Rinehart.
I would be happy to do the final PL ing for you
That would be wonderful! Thank you :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

The LibriVox catalogue currently has dramatic readings of the first two Tom Sawyer novels: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The third novel in the series is Tom Sawyer Abroad. Is there any chance that someone will coordinate a DR of this one? Apparently, it’s a parody of Jules Verne’s Five Weeks in a Balloon, which sounds interesting.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/91

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sawyer_Abroad
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms