[COMPLETE] Private Security Contractors in Afghanistan - cm

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Report of the Inquiry into the Role and Oversight of Private Security Contractors in Afghanistan by the United States Senate Committee on Armed Services, 2010.

This project is now complete and the files can be found here:

http://librivox.org/private-security-contractors-in-afghanistan/

The Inquiry into the Role and Oversight of Private Security Contractors in Afghanistan, which reported in September 2010, was precipitated by events in August 2008, when US forces bombed the Afghan village of Azizabad. This gave rise to a public dispute between the US Government and the United Nations about the level of fatalities caused by the attack and about whether those killed had been civilians or Taliban-linked insurgents. Allegations soon emerged that the attack had been based on false information deliberately fed to the US military by Afghan employees of ArmorGroup, a private security contractor, and that these employees were engaged in murder and anti-coalition activities. A key local contact of ArmorGroup, who they dubbed "Mr Pink", was subsequently convicted of espionage and sentenced to death, but was later freed.

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 31 March 2012.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://armed-services.senate.gov/Publications/SASC%20PSC%20Report%2010-07-10.pdf
    Note: Some parts of the report are blacked-out. If you encounter one of these during your reading say "word blacked-out", "paragraph blacked-out" etc.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening!

Level of prooflistening requested: Standard.

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!
Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
  • Section [section number] of The Report of the Inquiry into the Role and Oversight of Private Security Contractors in Afghanistan. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the Public Domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit LibriVox-dot-org.

If you wish say: Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]

Then begin the reading with: [Section title].
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say: End of section [section number]

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording:

Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    pscafghanistan_##.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. pscafghanistan_01.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags

(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [section title(s)]
    Artist: United States Senate Committee on Armed Services
    Album: Report of the Inquiry into the Role and Oversight of Private Security Contractors in Afghanistan

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)

You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: cm- Carl Manchester
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
Guero

Post by Guero »

Hey Carl -- I'll take Section 20.

Two questions:

1. Footnotes - read or not read?
2. Redacted words - ignore, or note the redaction in some way?

Thanks!
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks Guero.

1. Yes please read the footnotes unless they are completely pointless to an audio recording (eg "see page 22"). Incidentally, the word counts given include footnotes.

2. If you encounter a blacked-out section, please say "word blacked-out", "paragraph blacked-out" etc. I'd rather you said "blacked-out" rather than characterising it as "redacted", "censored" etc.

Cheers,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
Guero

Post by Guero »

CarlManchester wrote:1. Yes please read the footnotes unless they are completely pointless to an audio recording (eg "see page 22"). Incidentally, the word counts given include footnotes.

2. If you encounter a blacked-out section, please say "word blacked-out", "paragraph blacked-out" etc. I'd rather you said "blacked-out" rather than characterising it as "redacted", "censored" etc.
Hokey dokey. Thanks!
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
Guero

Post by Guero »

Section 20 has been uploaded:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cm/pscafghanistan_20.mp3
13:13

Gonna work on my solo project a little, but I might come back for more sections.
John
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

That's great, Guero, thanks.
doublemirrors

Post by doublemirrors »

Carl, I'd be happy to take 01 - Executive Summary. How would you like (U) and the bullet points to be treated?

- DB
Full souls are double mirrors, making still
An endless vista of fair things before,
Repeating things behind.
- Griswold Williams
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks. I have added you to the Magic Window.

I'd say just read the text as if the (U)s and the bullets were not there.

Cheers,
Carl.
Guero

Post by Guero »

CarlManchester wrote:I'd say just read the text as if the (U)s and the bullets were not there.
Uh oh! I read the (U)s. They should be easy enough to remove. I'll try to do that this evening.
John
Guero

Post by Guero »

Uploaded section 20 again - after removing the (U)s.
new time: 13:04
Last edited by Guero on October 27th, 2010, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
omnipresenttyrant

Post by omnipresenttyrant »

i'd like to claim section 4, please.

it's in an outline. should i read the letters and numbers or read is if they're not there?
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Guero wrote:Uploaded section 20 again - after removing the (U)s.
new time: 13:04
Thanks Guero - although I don't think it would have been the end of the world if you had just left it.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

omnipresenttyrant wrote:it's in an outline. should i read the letters and numbers or read is if they're not there?
Hi OPT. I have added you to the Magic Window, and a warm welcome to LibriVox. If you haven't already, please take a look at our FAQ here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1491 Please check in particular that you know about file formats and the standard intro.

For this section, please ignore the "(U)s" in the text. Numbers at the start of sections (eg "1 - Background on Shindand") you should read, though.

Where material is blanked-out, please read "word blanked-out", "line blanked-out" or whatever is appropriate.

Any other questions, please just ask.

Cheers,
Carl.
johnnyd

Post by johnnyd »

Hi Carl
I'm considering picking up a few of these - question:

- Shall we number bulleted sections under headings and sub-headings
- Can I substitute "name" and "location" instead of '"word" blacked out' where applicable - even better, how about editing in a 440khz tone instead?
- Does anyone know of a reliable web-based Afghani pronunciation tool.

Of the last point, an acquaintance of mine once illuminated for me the proper pronunciation of Iraq/Iran, it is "ih-rock" (not eye-rack), and "ih-ron" (not eye-ran), where "ih" closely resembles the english sound of "it" - not that it matters too much, I don't here many people on this side of The Pond saying "Paree" when they speak of the French Capital, but there you go.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi Johnny,
Shall we number bulleted sections under headings and sub-headings

No, I think just read what is there. Except, as noted above, please don't read the "(U)"s, which I don't think are intended to be read. I think bulleted lists are understandable if you just pause between each item (if you think about it, a bulleted list is just an alternative way of laying out a sentence with lots of semi-colons in).
Can I substitute "name" and "location" instead of '"word" blacked out' where applicable
Sure, whatever is most appropriate given what has been blacked-out in a particular case. I think the phrase "blacked-out" should be used though, to indicate to the reader what is going on, in the most neutral way.
even better, how about editing in a 440khz tone instead?
No, because I think this would not make it clear why the material is missing - people might even just think it is a glitch in the recording. Sometimes people put a filter over footnotes etc - fine if you want to do that in this case.
Does anyone know of a reliable web-based Afghani pronunciation tool.
I'll have a look.

Cheers,
Carl.