'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for marybard (Mary Bard) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ms. Bard,

Thank you so much for narrating "A Mysterious rider," by Zane Grey. You did an excellent job!

I'd never read Zane Grey before this, but my dad had said that he read those books when he was young. This was much more of a romance than I had imagined. I'd prefer more details about ranch life, wildlife, etc. So I'll now try one of the other western writers from that period.

This was certainly a long read for you. Thanks so much for all your volunteer work for LibriVox.

--Mollie
Los Angeles

All of Mary's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MaryAnnSpiegel (MaryAnn) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Wonderful voice. My wife and I listen as we go about in the car. MaryAnn's perfectly modulated, comforting voice flows through the noises of the road. MaryAnn's grasp of her subject adds clarity and precision to the storytelling.

Thank you, MaryAnn.

Bob & Jean, Bellingham, MA

All of MaryAnn's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for anneflebari (Anne Fletcher) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ms. Fletcher,
Thank you.
Your reading of "The White People” by F.H. Burnett deeply enhanced a lovely story for me. I have long loved hearing some of my favorite authors through Librivox but some of the generous Librivox readers are more in keeping and in tone with the pieces than others, try as hard as they will. Those others can make it hard for me to listen sometimes, which paradoxically helps me truly value accurately when a readers voice, cadence, tone, and vocal timbre enhance the piece they have read, as yours has with this one.
I am grateful to see how many other pieces you have read for Librivox, and especially by authors I have never heard of. Such a treat ahead for me.
My gratitude again for a lovely experience.

Mary

All of Anne's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Roger (Roger Melin) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Melin

I would like to thank you for your efforts in reading for Librivox, efforts that enrich my listening life immensely. I work in solitude and spend almost every day listening to podcasts, lectures, and audio books. I see from your catalog that you are amazingly diligent in your verbal labors, so I cannot be the only one.

I particularly like your style of reading and your facility with English narration. You have a wonderful sense of the meter and rhythm of the written word, it gives my ear and brain time to process the text. Of course, your articulation and enunciation are pretty darned near flawless, and your expression is thankfully devoid of hysterics. It's just enough to let me know who is saying what, and what the tenor of the exchange is.

My only requests for your future projects are to record one of the previously recorded Curwood stories (Marge O'Doone) that needs your skillful voice, and perhaps "Brendon Chase" by. B.B., a long time family favorite from our youth (I am almost 70).

Blessings

Don

All of Roger's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for simonevers (Simon Evers) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Mr. Evers,

I hardly know where to begin. For the past year, it has been my great privilege to benefit both from your talent and from the generous gift of your exquisite ability to bring Victorian era literature to life. You have done marvelous justice to my four beloved authors - Thomas Hardy, John Galsworthy, George Eliot, and Anthony Trollope, and to their profoundly rich novels. My passion for these sages is my religion and, thus, having now enjoyed at least 20 of your readings among their novels, mine is a note of gratitude that is long overdue. Novels of this quality deserve, no, require a reader of the highest caliber such as yourself. As I listen to you read, I am always mindful that I am on the receiving end of something very special.

I want you to know that it is never lost on me that you have given and invested innumerable hours to your readings, and that your generosity has made such a difference in my life. Let me not understate this: your prolific and masterful recordings help me bear daily tedium – whether it be walking my dogs (who I love dearly…but three times per day will wear on one’s enthusiasm), washing the inexorable dishes that never seem to stop coming, or cooking meals for fastidious family members with singular tastes that must be accommodated (not ideal for a person with no passion for cooking). I listen to your readings every day, multiple times throughout, and where I used to select novels solely on authorship, I have now become reluctant to engage with any work not read by you. I discovered and listen to you on YouTube…. but imagine my sublime rapture today upon accidentally stumbling across the treasure trove of your catalogue on LibriVox’s website. I used to dread the day when I would arrive at no further next novel on You Tube read by you….but seeing the prodigious selection in front of me today has mitigated my angst for at least a couple of years. In the near future, I look forward to placing myself in your expert hands as I become acquainted for the first time with William John Locke.

How should I extol what makes you a true virtuoso? Some in the comments highlight your accent, which is undeniably apropos…. but I too am British (though living in the USA) and, therefore, am less susceptible to what I imagine for some is its novel charm. You read such sophisticated prose flawlessly, authentically, fluidly, intuitively, and emotively. You transport me right back into Victorian life so completely and so vividly– that I can’t help but forget the pull on the leash, the crusty dish, and the peeling of carrots. I don’t hear you reading a novel as someone separate and outside of it…because you instantaneously place me inside, into the action and along with the characters themselves. You have an uncanny ability to make a novel’s world so convincing as to suspend reality. Yours is a polish and adroit handling that hints perhaps at a professional background of some sort….in addition to natural talent and feeling.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me so much to look forward to every day and for years to come. Inspired by appreciation that I know I can never fully express or ever repay – I made you a little “thank you image” below.

Regards,

Charlotte

Las Vegas, NV

All of Simon's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for BrynRoberts (Bryn Roberts) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of Mugby Junction:
Thank you so much for your reading of this book - it was really first class

All of Bryn's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Dick (Richard Vogel) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I have been listening to "The Story of George Fox" by Rufus Jones.
It is very well done and I have thoroughly enjoyed it in it's entirety.

Thank you very much,
Keith

Ps. Would you consider recording "Barclay's Apology".

All of Richard's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
CarlV

Post by CarlV »

icequeen wrote: February 6th, 2024, 9:23 pm Praise received for CarlV (Carl Vonnoh III) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Carl,

Thank you for your reading of The Parasite! You did a great job!

If you have any insight on what killed the wicked Miss Penclosa, I’d be interested in hearing it.

Joanna,

Tennessee, USA

All of Carl's recordings!
I'm not sure how to reply, so I'll post it here.
Thank you for the kind words.
I think whatever illness caused Miss Penclosa to weaken, also caused her ultimate demise. Just a guess. :wink: :)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for TheBanjo (Peter Dann) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I am back thanking Peter Dann, who quickly reponded to my request and beautifully recorded the penultimate book of Ford Madox Ford’s “Parade’s End” tetralogy at the end of 2022.

Time flies, Peter, and the final book is now in the public domain! Your fan club is hoping you will read “The Last Post” and complete the cycle.

Your fan club president,
Nancy
and...
Hi Mr. Dann,

I just noticed that I could reach out and thank readers, so I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your rendition of “Almayer’s Folly." It listened to only a few lines before choosing your reading of the book. It was sure-footed, well-paced and possessed of a beautiful elocution. I also enjoyed your Dutch- and Malay-tinted accents. Well done!

Among other things, I’ve been working my way through much of Conrad in my retirement, and have been lucky now in finding excellent audio versions of “The Shadow Line”—voiced by a fellow named Fred Williams, and now your work on “Almayer.” I’d flat out just read them myself, but I take a long forest walk each day (helps me stay in shape), and rather than merely exercising, I am able to also take in new worlds through these recordings. Thank you for making this wonderful book accessible to me!

Bill
Edgartown, MA

All of Peter's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for bgdavid (David Clarke) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just wanted to thank Mr Clarke for his excellent performance, as well for his dedication to make every character feel so real and distinct. I'm sure it's not easy to pull off and yet you managed perfectly!
I'm particularly impressed on how you managed to capture perfectly Holmes' personality (then again, I feel like i could say that about any character).

I now finished book 3 and can't wait to keep going until the end!

Seriously, 10/10 work, thank you

Mattia

https://librivox.org/the-adventures-of-sherlock-holmes-version-4-by-sir-arthur-conan-doyle/

All of David's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for pnagami (Pamela Nagami) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hey,

I just felt like I had to say something after listening to this great work. Great book, great reading!

Reader: Pamela Nagami aka pnagami
https://librivox.org/reader/10191
Book: Seven Statesmen of the Later Republic by Charles Oman
https://librivox.org/seven-statesmen-of-the-later-republic-by-charles-oman/

Thanks LibriVox,

Markus

All of Pamela's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for pipesdreams (Moira Fogarty) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Great job on narration of Susannah Moodie’s Roughing it in the Bush.

All of Moira's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Hokuspokus (Hokuspokus) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Liebe librivox, ich habe seit kurzem Ihre Seite entdeckt und lasse mir
gern vorlesen - auch das Angebot ist so toll umfangreich. Einen
besonderen Dank möchte ich der Vorleserin HOKUSPOKUS sagen: sie hat eine
ausdrucksvolle und angenehme Stimme und sie liest mit feiner Empfindung
ohne dabei zu übertreiben. Entdeckt habe ich diese Stimme bei Charlotte
Bronte, Jane Eyre. Seitdem suche ich z.Z. unter ihrem Vorlesenamen
Stücke aus, die ich mir vorlesen lasse. Ich bin mein eben lang ein
fleissiger Leser gewesen - und lese auch weiterhin selber. Nun habe ich
das Stricken erlernt und höre gern die gute Stimme beim Stricken für
meine Enkel. Ich bin 82 Jahre alt.

Freundlihce Grüsse

Thomas

All of Hokuspokus' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

CarlV wrote: February 8th, 2024, 11:38 am
icequeen wrote: February 6th, 2024, 9:23 pm Praise received for CarlV (Carl Vonnoh III) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Carl,

Thank you for your reading of The Parasite! You did a great job!

If you have any insight on what killed the wicked Miss Penclosa, I’d be interested in hearing it.

Joanna,

Tennessee, USA

All of Carl's recordings!
I'm not sure how to reply, so I'll post it here.
Thank you for the kind words.
I think whatever illness caused Miss Penclosa to weaken, also caused her ultimate demise. Just a guess. :wink: :)
I passed your response on to the listener, thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for mightyfelix (Devorah Allen) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello Devorah Allen,
I want to say that I appreciate your excellent reading voice, which is attractive and lovely to listen to. I have looked for books that you have read because I liked listening to your voice. And I noticed how much you seem to like George Macdonald. Are you a Christian?
Also I believe God wants me to share a poem here which I have written. I hope you like it. 😊 See below.

God bless you,
Richard.

Holy Sonnet Of Christ In Me

I have eternal life in my spirit,
And temptation cannot overcome me.
The Father, Son and Spirit within it,
Are my life, and death I shall never see.
For by Christ's death, I'm dead to sin indeed,
And by his resurrection from the dead,
I'm alive to God, with his righteous seed.
Christ is my life; and, as two that are wed,
We are joined together eternally.
I am a new man that can never die.
No corrupting sin can mar the beauty,
That is now both the Lord Jesus and I.
For I was raised with him to live again;
Together we are seated in heaven.

All of Devorah's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!